Author Topic: other forum  (Read 2625 times)

Offline PH14

Re: other forum
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2023, 08:50:22 PM »
I was going to suggest LibreOffice as well. I have used it on Linux, and and use it on my Surface Go. I have been using various open source office programs for years, OpenOffice and StarOffice. LibreOffice is really nice now. IN the past there were a lot of compromises, but now it is a very nice product, if you can call something free a product.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2023, 05:54:10 AM »
I was going to suggest LibreOffice as well. I have used it on Linux, and and use it on my Surface Go. I have been using various open source office programs for years, OpenOffice and StarOffice. LibreOffice is really nice now. IN the past there were a lot of compromises, but now it is a very nice product, if you can call something free a product.

:)  Yep, I started that line with StarOffice as well!  Then OpenOffice, then LibreOffice.  It has flourished a lot.  Does still have some annoyances/issues, but that is pretty much universal with all huge software.  (Also used Unix/Linux WordPerfect, loved that, and ApplixWare).  I have hundreds of people using LibreOffice every day where I work.  Some new employees will complain a little at first, but then when they start using it for real, those complaints almost always evaporate.  So what if some screens look different or menus are laid out differently?  If you understand the concepts, the leap is not that difficult at all.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Stasch

« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2023, 08:52:26 AM »
So what if some screens look different or menus are laid out differently? 

Plus its not like Microsoft doesn't change the menus all around with each upgrade or anything !!!  (NOT)

When still working I used to hate new Windows OS releases.  Most of the users couldn't get around intuitively in a software menu to save their life in the first place, and then MS would change stuff around with no perceived benefit.  The re-training and calls for service were so needless and such a pain in the neck.
Stan Visser - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - > C10 STUFF FOR SALE - Parts List

He IS a racer, hence the forward lean!!  by: Mettler1

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
  • 2001 Concours, ~35K miles
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2023, 01:44:46 PM »
Thanks for the interesting conversation gentlemen. I didn't want to take us too much off topic. Using old computers with fewer updates... I am always looking at god 3rd party software to protect the system.

If the mods split the thread we can have a seperate thread.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2023, 03:03:13 PM »
Too late, I moved it.  Please continue.  I ain't splittin s**T...
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2023, 03:37:29 PM »
Thanks for the interesting conversation gentlemen. I didn't want to take us too much off topic. Using old computers with fewer updates... I am always looking at good 3rd party software to protect the system.

Switch to Linux and then you don't have to worry much about updates/malware/performance or 3rd party software.  My current recommendation is Linux Mint:

https://linuxmint.com/

It has become very popular because it is easy to install and manage, reasonable defaults, the "Cinnamon" desktop is intuitive and simple, thousands of software packages in the repo with quick and easy installation. 
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2023, 03:47:42 PM »
Plus its not like Microsoft doesn't change the menus all around with each upgrade or anything !!!  (NOT)

When still working I used to hate new Windows OS releases.  Most of the users couldn't get around intuitively in a software menu to save their life in the first place, and then MS would change stuff around with no perceived benefit.  The re-training and calls for service were so needless and such a pain in the neck.

I know, the excuses I hear about not using Linux, LibreOffice, Inkscape, Audacity, GIMP, etc, are usually "but users will have to re-learn everything." And I watch as what they ARE using is constantly changing, mostly in strange and irritating ways.  Plus costing money and installing a bunch of useless crap that slows down everything, along with ever more spyware and cloud-dependencies.

At least with a Linux system, there is ZERO cost to install and use, updates for many years with no cost, thousands of open-source applications to do just about anything, no need to create some "account", no spy-ware, higher security and performance, and no license fees or activation codes or forced upgrades.  I have installed hundreds of machines of various operating systems, mostly a flavor of Linux, and I think Linux Mint (and similar) are about as easy as installing anything can be.

Now, if you are a hard-core gamer or someone who absolutely needs a SPECIFIC MS-Windows/MacOS application (for which there is no open-source equivalent), Linux might not be an viable option (although you can run MS-Windows apps under Linux through WINE or VirtualBox, that isn't simple).

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2023, 03:49:45 PM »
Too late, I moved it.  Please continue.

Should have been in Open in the first place!

I ain't splittin s**T...

LOL- it isn't THAT hard.  I do it all fairly often on other forums :)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2023, 04:12:26 PM »
Not doing it...not prudent..  I could do it but I just don't want to.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2023, 04:40:53 PM »
Not doing it...not prudent..  I could do it but I just don't want to.

[Fingers in ears]  "blah blah BLAAAAAAAH... not listening!!!!!"  :)

Offline PH14

« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2023, 05:54:29 AM »

[Fingers in ears]  "blah blah BLAAAAAAAH... not listening!!!!!"  :)

:rotflmao:

Offline Big Red

• Arena
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2023, 09:03:21 AM »
I use LibreOffice as well. Works well enough for what I need it for. MSOffice compatibility isn't 100%, but plenty for me.
2010 C14, Shoodaben Engineering MRP Flash, Delkevic slip-on, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, highway pegs, tail tidy, AST peg lowering brackets, LED switchbacks all the way around, Bright2Wheels tail light, StompGrips, custom seat, 2015 C14 vented and blacked out windshield, Dunlop RS3s, and a Fat Ninja hat.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2023, 03:25:41 PM »
I use LibreOffice as well. Works well enough for what I need it for. MSOffice compatibility isn't 100%, but plenty for me.

It will probably never be 100%.  But, ironically, even different versions of MS-Office are not 100% compatible with each other :)

That said, the two biggest issues of document "compatibility" come down mostly to the document creator using strange fonts that others don't have, and the substituted fonts don't exactly match the spacial dimensions.  And the other is poor document formatting (like using spaces instead of tab sets or indent) and the document falls apart with reasonable changes.  That is intensified if combined with non "standard" fonts.