Author Topic: rattle by start up?  (Read 14083 times)

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
Re: rattle by start up?
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2012, 08:11:43 AM »
Mine always rattles if started while leaning on the kickstand, if I start it while on the centerstand it doesn't rattle.

Mine pretty much acts the same, always has from day 1.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2012, 08:18:28 AM »
It will eventually.
The tensioner has a seal that is supposed to retain oil inside it under pressure.
Over time the seal weakens and the pressure gets released.
It's not really an issue w.r.t. reliability unless yer in the habit of starting the bike and vrooming straight off rather than letting her warm up for a few seconds or minutes.
If it REALLY worries you then buy a new tensioner and fit it.
Waste of money IMHO.

Being a ratchet type tensioner one day it will go quiet (moves forward a notch) and you will start panic-ing that it DIDN'T do the startup rattle. <LOL>
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2012, 08:36:27 AM »
~30,000 miles on my 10 and it has rattled on every cold start since new.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2012, 09:12:30 AM »
~30,000 miles on my 10 and it has rattled on every cold start since new.

Don't expect it to stop at 60,000 if its anything like my '10 
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2012, 12:39:11 PM »
Mine doesn't have a seal, just a tight fit between a ground piston and reamed aluminum (aluminium) housing. It looks like this:

The oil will always leak out given more than just a couple of hours no matter what viscosity or type used. The piston is bound to leak but given that the hydraulic fluid is motor oil and the fit is really quite close, it is a slow leak to be sure and more than adequate for the job. The rattle does not hurt anything but it does scare and / or annoy some people.

Brian

It will eventually.
The tensioner has a seal that is supposed to retain oil inside it under pressure.
Over time the seal weakens and the pressure gets released.
It's not really an issue w.r.t. reliability unless yer in the habit of starting the bike and vrooming straight off rather than letting her warm up for a few seconds or minutes.
If it REALLY worries you then buy a new tensioner and fit it.
Waste of money IMHO.

Being a ratchet type tensioner one day it will go quiet (moves forward a notch) and you will start panic-ing that it DIDN'T do the startup rattle. <LOL>
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline leisyman

« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2012, 03:00:37 PM »
Ya, I was wondering if 5x40 oil viscosity was too thin when cold and might cause the rattle in my 08.

guess I'll live with it, tho it didn't seem to rattle when I used 15X40 Rotella

maybe my imagination

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2012, 03:33:34 PM »
Ya, I was wondering if 5x40 oil viscosity was too thin when cold and might cause the rattle in my 08.

maybe my imagination

Been using 5W40 Rotella for a long time. My last oil change I went with Valvoline 4T 10W40 Motorcycle oil. No change in start up rattle.

Offline Kazairl

« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2012, 04:43:39 PM »
Mine doesn't have a seal, just a tight fit between a ground piston and reamed  (aluminium) housing. It looks like this:

The oil will always leak out given more than just a couple of hours no matter what viscosity or type used. The piston is bound to leak but given that the hydraulic fluid is motor oil and the fit is really quite close, it is a slow leak to be sure and more than adequate for the job. The rattle does not hurt anything but it does scare and / or annoy some people.

Brian

Looks exactly like the tensioner on my zx14. If it is then there is another solution that automatically adjusts and is also maintenance free.  Its a modified z x 1 2 r tensioner. it is entirely spring loaded, not hydraulic at all. And uses a much finer ratcheting mechanism. After installing it my bike doesn't rattle at all anymore.

Just a thought.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2012, 05:51:25 PM »
Funny thing but the part number for the ZX 14 and the C-14 CCTs are different. But they seem to interchange as I am using a ZX 14 mechanical CCT in my C-14. I do not know what the difference is, and I cannot say that they are interchangeable but it would seem that way.

Brian

Looks exactly like the tensioner on my zx14. If it is then there is another solution that automatically adjusts and is also maintenance free.  Its a modified z x 1 2 r tensioner. it is entirely spring loaded, not hydraulic at all. And uses a much finer ratcheting mechanism. After installing it my bike doesn't rattle at all anymore.

Just a thought.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2012, 06:00:31 PM »
Well, I said that the oil type and viscosity would not matter but I did not mean that there would be no change. I said it badly the first time and not much better this time- perhaps I can explain.

The oil will leak out of the CCT (cam chain tensioner) no matter what viscosity that oil is, especially when the oil is warm. That said, thicker oil will leak more slowly than thinner oil, especially when it is cold. :-)  So let's say that particular 5W-40 oil takes 12 hours to leak out of the CCT when the engine and oil are fully heated. Using a 15W-40 weight oil will slow that process so that it might take 18 hours to leak down. So the thicker oil will not prevent the start- up rattle but it will push it off to a later time and if you start the bike w/in the longer time period the rattle will not be there with the thicker oil. Also a thicker oil will come up to full pressure more quickly on start up so even if the rattle is there it might be noticeably shorter than when using the thin oil.

So oil type / weight is not a preventative or cure but it very well could change how and when the rattle appears. Still, I would not worry about it and would use any oil you are comfortable with, especially if that oil is w/in or close to the parameters specified by Kawasaki. If thicker oil calms the start- up rattle and you like that, then by all means continue to use that oil just for that reason. (seriously, not sarcastically)

Brian

maybe my imagination

Offline fmwhit

« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2012, 08:13:31 PM »
Martin, do you actually own a C14?   :)

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2012, 02:07:59 AM »
Martin, do you actually own a C14?   :)

naah, the cousin of my sister's boyfriend's aunt's friend told me about them. Never ridden one, though  :'(
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2012, 05:09:47 AM »
You really should ride one, but stay off the black ones...they're the slowest. ;)
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2012, 07:50:50 AM »
If mine rattled like that all the time I would paint it dark green with bright yellow trim and put some kind of farm implement on the back. ;D

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2012, 09:22:55 AM »
If mine rattled like that all the time I would paint it dark green with bright yellow trim and put some kind of farm implement on the back. ;D

Or perhaps disable two of the cylinders, paint it chrome, and throw a Harley badge on it?
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline C1xRider

• Where did all the posts go?!??
« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2012, 11:28:09 AM »
Mine never rattles (well, I never hear it).

I always install my ear plugs, then get on the bike and stand it up straight before starting it.  Then when it lights off, and the Two Bros dual exhaust awakens the neighborhood, it all sounds just right.  ;)   8)
--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2012, 11:51:41 AM »
Or perhaps disable two of the cylinders, paint it chrome, and throw a Harley badge on it?

Just the badge alone will slow that bish down tremendously
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2012, 12:40:29 AM »
You really should ride one, but stay off the black ones...they're the slowest. ;)

You're missinformed. Black ones are just polite and care about other people's ego. They let you think that they can't go faster when, in fact, they are just cruising around, not even trying  8)
About the blackness: I booked the next service for next Thursday and I'm having a serious talk with my wallet about powder coating the rims in black. Oh, that ZG is a contagious pest...  ;)
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2012, 05:42:49 AM »
You're right about him being a pest.  He is a virus of the first rank when it comes to black bikes.  Don't listen to him or he'll infest you to the point of painting everything black.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 01:32:46 PM by VirginiaJim »
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Kazairl

« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2012, 12:26:37 PM »
The zx 14 and the zx12 tensioners  side by side.