Author Topic: I've got vibes, but only on the left bar!  (Read 4198 times)

Offline Caffeinated

• Arena
I've got vibes, but only on the left bar!
« on: November 10, 2011, 05:38:58 AM »
What's up with that?  The throttle side is vibe free, but the left has a constant vibration that get's worse with higher RPMs.  I think it has something to do with the wedges, but I've had them off and on a bunch of time's and never had this issue before. 
Chris (COG# 8538), Bristow, Va
2012 Black Concours 1400
2011 Silver Concours 1400 (Totaled)
2002 Silver Concours (sold), 06 Vulcan 900LT (sold), 03 VStar 650 (sold)

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
Re: I've got vibes, but only on the left bar!
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2011, 07:24:03 AM »
I could be so many things causing that symptom. Tires (air pressure, a weight fell off, flat spots, wear on one side), engine mount, bearings, etc.  Check all the easiest for the problem first and you will probably nail it fairly quickly.

And even though the vibration can be on this side only, if the problem gets worse the symptom may spread throughout the bike, you may feel it worse.
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2011, 11:29:30 AM »
Could it have something to do with the torque of the bolts? Or, maybe exactly how each bar sits against the center of the clamps? I've noticed that one of mine is more in contact with that center piece than the other, but don't notice a difference in feel.
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline Shadowofshoe

• Arena
  • Mastiff pup/human pup
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2011, 07:04:05 PM »

The main thought here is find it cause tank-slappers are not fun. I'm with SteveFLW in that you will prolly find a tire issue or loose front side bolt/nut...the bike and its farkles  seem solid enough.

Mike
Sooooo....we are about to be a Nation that makes you prove you have insurance-but it's not necessary to prove that you are indeed a Citizen of that Nation?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2013, 04:37:23 AM »
What's up with that?  The throttle side is vibe free, but the left has a constant vibration that get's worse with higher RPMs.  I think it has something to do with the wedges, but I've had them off and on a bunch of time's and never had this issue before.

Did you find any resolution to this issue?  Mine is vibrating on the right side.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2013, 08:16:29 AM »
Bar end weight good and tight?

Offline Caffeinated

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2013, 10:18:31 AM »
Did you find any resolution to this issue?  Mine is vibrating on the right side.

Well...from what I remember.... Main thing that fixed it was to put on Heli Horizons.  I also think re-torquing the engine mount bolts and bracket bolts per the sequence in the manual, along with installing the Canyon Cages helped.

I really can't contribute anyone thing to fixing the issue, but the vibes are about the same for both sides now and not very noticeable. 

I hear syncing the throttle bodies will help. I'm about ready for the first Valve check and throttle body sync at 25K, so I can't confirm that would help.

Are the vibes bad on the right side?
2012 Black Concours 1400

Offline SkyWalker

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2013, 10:35:26 AM »
Bar end weight good and tight?

Bar end weights are more than weights, They're actually dynamic absorbers; they take the vibration and absorb them to prevent vibration the rest of the bar. When riding gently put one finger on a bar end and you will notice all the vibration that they actually kill.

Obviously the best scenario is to have no vibration to start with thus the need to check also the potential sources (torques, vacuum sync, valve lash, ...) at the same time as checking absorption systems (bar ends).

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2013, 12:45:19 PM »
Well...from what I remember.... Main thing that fixed it was to put on Heli Horizons.  I also think re-torquing the engine mount bolts and bracket bolts per the sequence in the manual, along with installing the Canyon Cages helped.

I really can't contribute anyone thing to fixing the issue, but the vibes are about the same for both sides now and not very noticeable. 

I hear syncing the throttle bodies will help. I'm about ready for the first Valve check and throttle body sync at 25K, so I can't confirm that would help.

Are the vibes bad on the right side?

I wouldn't put them in the 'bad' category, but it's noticeable.  It got worse when I installed the Area P can.  But I've since shimmed the mounting with rubber washers and it's dialed down somewhat.  I'm thinking it's to do with the exhaust system somehow.  I've had the valves looked at and had a throttle body sync but it hasn't got that much better.  I do have Heli's and that really didn't change anything for me.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Caffeinated

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2013, 02:06:01 PM »
I wouldn't put them in the 'bad' category, but it's noticeable.  It got worse when I installed the Area P can.  But I've since shimmed the mounting with rubber washers and it's dialed down somewhat.  I'm thinking it's to do with the exhaust system somehow.  I've had the valves looked at and had a throttle body sync but it hasn't got that much better.  I do have Heli's and that really didn't change anything for me.

Is the center stand bumper still there?  ::)  Have you checked the header nuts to make sure they are tight and not creating extra vibes? I didn't notice any change when I put on the AreaP other than the awesome sound and looks :thumbs:
2012 Black Concours 1400

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2013, 03:40:41 PM »
I think the bumper is there (need to check again) and some of my nuts could be loose.  Haven't checked them in awhile.

Offline PH14

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2013, 06:42:38 PM »
I think the bumper is there (need to check again) and some of my nuts could be loose.  Haven't checked them in awhile.

Not good having your nuts loose.  :o

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2013, 03:56:19 AM »
Not good having your nuts loose.  :o
Rumor has it that it's not good to have your balls go missing, either.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2013, 04:20:00 AM »
Stem bearings?

Offline Caffeinated

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2013, 06:54:12 AM »
Stem bearings?

I checked mine and it was fine.

As I was riding in today, I was more conscious of it, and I  think it has something to do with the throttle cable. Since we both have Heli Horizons which are a single bar connected to the triple, why would the vibes be heavier on on one side. The only other thing connected to the engine on that side is the throttle cable.  Have you adjusted it lately? Mine is tight to remove all the play.
2012 Black Concours 1400

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2013, 08:38:23 AM »
I also have horizon ST bars and absolutely no vibration. But I also have Throttlemeister's. I no longer use it for throttle locking but they are so well made I kept them on the bike. An they are much heavier then the original weights.

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2013, 08:42:51 AM »

it gets worse with the increasing RPM or it smoothens out at, say, above 6000?
I had the issue (on both sides, though, but more noticeable on the right) and it was a washer between bar weights and bar, which was missing.
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2013, 10:29:03 AM »
Now i better understand why some put extra weight on handlebars

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Cuda

« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2013, 03:18:29 PM »
She has that big smile on because the light is you know where ;)

Rock ON
Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2013, 09:53:12 AM »
She has that big smile on because the light is you know where ;)

Rock ON

^^^^that coupled with pot hole vibrations