Author Topic: clutch basket bad, warranty denied  (Read 33630 times)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: clutch basket bad, warranty denied
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2015, 09:40:12 PM »
I think we all would agree the major problems with dealers and warranty work are they they prefer to make more money by NOT doing warranty work, by turning warranty work into non-warranty work, by tacking non-warranty work onto a warranty job, and by delaying warranty work so they can do non-warranty work first.  All of those hurt the warranty-seeking customer.  It is a shame it has to be that way, and it is not just Kawasaki- it works almost the same way for just about every vehicle dealer (my best friend is a mechanic and has done lots of warranty work in lots of shops.  Although he is very good, decent, and moral, he has told me plenty of stories of exactly what I described above being done by others... and worse things (like using used parts instead of new, skipping important steps on purpose, falsifying forms, etc) ).

The only real threat to the dealer is that a customer reports bad behavior back to Kawasaki and Kawasaki then takes action against the dealer.  I doubt that happens often, though (or not often enough).
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2015, 11:06:28 PM »
Oh you guys are just giving me all kinds of hope. :-\ :P :'( :(

Offline Riverszzr

• Lloyd's Motorcycle Performance Center
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2015, 01:14:33 AM »
so please copy and post here the checklist for the replacement of the clutch basket, and all associated inspections that supposedly Kaw says they give 1.3 hours payment for. Please... I have one last beer. look forward to your documents.

on the rest, I do agree about the price gouging, and not it as such.

just don't agree about where you got your figure on the job time,
do you have access to this documentation?
are these "issues" you assited with directly associate with Kawasaki?
and still, the issue that a bonafide Kaw service and sales outlet can refuse service, address that, because you have me wondering about owning and servicing Kawasaki bike for almost 40 years.. enlighten me please.

I'm open minded, and fully read and comprehend what you responded with, but still don't know why you think this is credible or can be bcked up.

ride safe,

Splitting hairs on whether is a quoted 1.3 hour job time or not---well why? who cares? it is an example............but that 1.3 hour number came from the OP who got it from the dealer who currently has his bike............ but if you want to split hairs I surely can get you the exact printout of what kawi pays for what....
 but again, it is a total non issue and only goes to split hairs taking away from what this discussion is really about...........

so---
on the job time......answered and if you need I can go further
on the access.........yes I have access, just not at 1:32 in the am
are these issues directly with Kawasaki---yes and no........ of the 4 most recent, 1 was with Kawasaki, 2 with Yamaha and 1 with Suzuki......all were denied until I went in and intervened and pushed and shoved and proved my every point to dealers and the manufacturers alike......huge waste of my time and effort but for my customers I will go the extra mile, especially to right a wrong......

I will give you a brief (because this was a 40 hours of my time and weeks on end endeavor) on the latest Kawasaki;
2012 ZX10, tip of a valve stem broke off, but did not drop the valve etc........customer simply thought it was due for its second valve adjustment or maybe the cam chain tensioner was not adjusting....... I got it apart for the work and found the valve tip broke off and mile of valve clearance...........not being an authorized dealer and knowing he had an extended warranty--I talked to customer and gave him the option.......for whatever the parts cost was to replace what was needed---at the time I guess it would be somewhere around $500 maybe less for me to fix the issue (pull engine, remove head, install atleast that one new valve and the retaining washer, the cotter clips and bucket....maybe more once apart--I would see the rest of the valve train better once apart) and finish everything or....put it back together and haul to dealer and hope they do a good job for him...
he opted to save the $500ish (much to his regret later)
So dealer denies the coverage claiming the valve shims were soft (aftermarket)---and it is the dealer who denied, not ma Kaw--because it is the dealers presentation and recommendation that decides the fate of warranty claims--ma kaw (suz,Hon,yam) all just follow the lead of the dealer....
So I go in with my service records of said bike and my 13,800 oem valve shims and some aftermarket ones and lay it out there........and ask why they feel they are aftermarket shims
the service manager and tech both (independently away from each other) state it has to be an aftermarket shim because that is the only way this could happen.......um and your experience is what???
they could not even tell an oem shim from a Hot bodies, from a K&L from a couple other shitty aftermarket brands when I laid them on the counter side by side....
 So the service tech storms off, the service manager argues his tech knows more than I do (what a fucking joke that is) and that there is no other way this could happen
a couple hours later of "proving these are oem shims (even provided receipts of thousands of them I bought from that very dealership) and handing over copies of both the valve adjustments and all notes ( a hammer and nail set on oe shims..no mark, the same on aftermarket shims and a huge dent, one even broke)
he made some statement how he would contact ma kaw again, about a week later when pushed what is taking so long he finally states it was still denied.

I called ma kaw- livid and with facts on my side, case number in hand and customer also on the line......... while at the dealership and let fly
Well the dealer didn't like the fuss, they didn't like the attention of negativity the insinuation (although I flat out called them a fucking idiot moron....so no insinuation at all- it just is fact) and ma kaw was then in the yes mood...
 the dealer however himmed and hawed for the next month before finally ordering bare bones minimum---after yanking the broken off valve through the guide and scoring the **** out of the guide
they only replaced the one valve and all 16 shims.......no other parts sans a head gasket , not even oil-- So they opted to do the leats and even caused more damage on the way, breaking the heat deflector, scoring that valve guide and scratching some of the bodywork etc....
 So had this dealer presented this to ma kaw to begin with as .... hey we have this 30,000 mile 2012 ZX10 with a valve issue and all scheduled service had been done with oe parts........any reasonable person knows damn well it would have been stamped approved immediately...... I have worked at Kawasaki, Suzuki, Yamaha and Honda dealerships and dealt with tons of warranty bullshit.........in the end I fought I won and it was covered, something the penny pinchers at the dealer were never going to do, because they looked at $.......and how much they could have "stolen" from the customer.. I am not out to make friends, I don't even like people at all- but I also don't like people getting screwed and have no issue to fight to not have that happen

As far as what they can "refuse"...... I never claimed they could refuse anything....but they sure can present something in a manner in which to guarantee non coverage..........they sure can make it take forever to get your bike back by not making it a priority and doing other stuff first.........they sure can make your life hell if/when they decide or make it easy peasy if they so decide...........and this is not a Kawasaki issue as I have stated previously........this is a greedy uneducated personnel problem with no work ethics/morals or care for anything but the almighty dollar and how they can shove the most of them in their pocket with the least effort
When a dealer is more interested in pushing to make $500 profit and "screwing" the consumer than making say $75 and making the customer happy and doing what is right.........well it is not a dealership I would ever go to!

here are a couple pictures of that 2012 ZX10r valve head

You don't like me........... I get it and I simply do not give a damn if you do or don't........ALL of my customers love me and there is a reason for that!

So you call my posts as rantings, conjecture, drivvle---I call your posts as stupid and uneducated...... you don't know me at all, you have no idea what I know or what I have done or accomplished..........but from the sounds of it (and I speculate because I don't know you either) I know, have accomplished and have experienced a **** ton more than you have, despite your claim to be in "Kawasaki pulse stream". It is you who needs some more education...IMO

maxtogs latest post is pretty spot on.......Far more on point than anything I have read from you.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2015, 10:03:09 AM »
Just a small interlude here, back to the action in a bit I'm sure.   :popcorn:

It will be interesting to see if we have the same problem,....

That doesn't appear to be happening. The Service manager just called me with an update, they pulled the clutch and said my problem isn't in the clutch.
He says it is in the trans. He's calling Kawasaki to see about splitting the cases. Oh groan. :banghead:

OK, you two please continue on. (making those of us in need of our warranties become more depressed.)

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2015, 10:12:26 AM »
Shifting without the clutch must have caused the problem  ::)
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2015, 10:21:22 AM »
I'm getting so sick and tired of these threads degrading to people making personal attacks.
What the **** is up with people on this forum these days?

What happened to the days when we all just got along?

Is this a stupid rice rocket forum now?
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2015, 10:45:45 AM »
As far as I know it isn't.  People have strong opinions and at times they come out.  No one has called anyone names yet so we just keep on keeping on.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2015, 10:50:21 AM »
I'm getting so sick and tired of these threads degrading to people making personal attacks.

It's hot outside, that's all.

I'd say if you only hear it with your helmet off, keep your helmet on. If it blows up, they can fix it then.
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2015, 01:51:29 PM »
This one time, in band camp, I saw a C-14 that happened to swallow 4th gear. It was covered under warranty but I have to say that it was a sad sight to see a C-14 broken down that far; all the way to the engine out, cases separated and transmission apart; the carcass covered three tables. The story had a happy ending in that the bike went back together and all was well for the owner other than he was out several weeks of riding time while the repair was being done.

As far as your situation being depressing, I can certainly see that. But imagine how much more depressing it would be if you did not have the warranty; the bike would still be 'broke', you would still be looking at a long down- time but then you would have the icing on the cake of getting the bill for the repair.

Brian

That doesn't appear to be happening. The Service manager just called me with an update, they pulled the clutch and said my problem isn't in the clutch.
He says it is in the trans. He's calling Kawasaki to see about splitting the cases. Oh groan. :banghead:

OK, you two please continue on. (making those of us in need of our warranties become more depressed.)
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Riverszzr

« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2015, 02:16:38 PM »

I think you are being far too sensitive, none of the conversation has even involved you. And I don't view anything I said as a personal attack against anyone on here so  :P

Offline Riverszzr

« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2015, 02:18:08 PM »
Shifting without the clutch must have caused the problem  ::)

I lol'd........... you go to the wrong dealer and I am sure this is the response one would get and thus warranty coverage denied. Sad but all too often true

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2015, 03:54:25 PM »

So, you should't owe them anything which is at least good news, right?  You shouldn't have to pay them for going on a wild goose Chase.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline JS_racer

« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2015, 03:50:56 AM »
well, new game plan, i am pulling the bike from there with the basket not repaired. 
hope this goes as good as i think it will,
Monday i think will be the day, if the windshield is fixed then, great, if not, well it will be fixed the next stop.

got some great miles in already this year, long trip to NC/TN , 3 days weekend in the alphabets of Wisconsin, and a 9 day trip to Arkansas . if the bike is laid up another week or two, i can deal with that for sure.   :thumbs:

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2015, 10:16:23 AM »
So, you should't owe them anything which is at least good news, right? 

Yeah, I guess that's good news.

Even if it's all repaired for free, I'll admit that I still have doubts about the future of my bike. Something about having the engine removed and split open for the repairs. Will it still run the same? Will there be new strange vibrations?
Will I be able to go on a long trip and not suffer from "strange noise anxiety" when miles from home.
...and...why me? I really thought they'd find the problem in the clutch, since I don't do clutch-less shifting and I've used synthetic oil since the break-in, I can't understand why I've got a transmission problem. I've even got tamper resistant oil caps. Is it something I'm doing wrong or was my bike just made on a Monday when they were short handed at the factory (does that happen in Japan?).
Yes, things could be much worse, but I really wish they were better.  :P :-\ :( 
I guess I'm just in a glass half empty mood today.

Offline JS_racer

« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2015, 10:45:12 AM »
marty, i would completely feel the same way.
hope they follow the motor torque sequence for minimizing vibrations 

i also understand the why mine mentality, i have spent tons of thousands in maintenance and stuff, but here i am too,
luck, or whatever, lets hope we both come out good with coverage at least.  :)

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2015, 12:03:42 PM »
I think if I were in your shoes, when I got the bike back,  I would take it out and just RAIL on for a day. If it stays together, it should be fine. If it shakes loose, get it back to the dealer.

As far as the mental part goes, I'll reiterate.

God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

AlbertaDoug

« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2015, 03:08:36 PM »

Even if it's all repaired for free, I'll admit that I still have doubts about the future of my bike. Something about having the engine removed and split open for the repairs. Will it still run the same? Will there be new strange vibrations?
Will I be able to go on a long trip and not suffer from "strange noise anxiety" when miles from home.
...and...why me? I really thought they'd find the problem in the clutch, since I don't do clutch-less shifting and I've used synthetic oil since the break-in, I can't understand why I've got a transmission problem. I've even got tamper resistant oil caps. Is it something I'm doing wrong or was my bike just made on a Monday when they were short handed at the factory (does that happen in Japan?).

Where did you get the tamper resistant oil cap?  ???

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2015, 03:29:10 PM »
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #38 on: July 15, 2015, 03:37:48 PM »

Exactly what I am going through with the Voyager.  Being hyper alert to noises, smells, and the 'geek's of the bike.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2015, 06:40:17 PM »
I used to have a guy who worked for me go in for hemorrhoid surgery and he had almost the identical thoughts: Will it run the same? Will  there be strange, new vibrations? Will I still be able to go for a long ride? In his particular case, I think it turned out OK although to be honest, it did not come up in conversation a lot. But still, he <seemed> OK from where I stood (which was always a healthy distance away.... ahem).

But back to the bike: if a competent mechanic does it, it should be fine. The bike started out as a gazillion parts and a bunch of workers put it together in the first place so there is no reason why it cannot be taken apart, put together again and all will be well.

As far as why you, or why your bike- the luck of the draw. Hey, stuff happens and it is usually pretty random as to who gets what (both good and bad). Hey, as I remember, that guy I worked with said the same thing.... 'Why me? Why my a$*#*le?'.

;) :D

Brian

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com