Author Topic: 16k+ Miles and Transmission Damage?!  (Read 22071 times)

Online VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: 16k+ Miles and Transmission Damage?!
« Reply #60 on: December 22, 2011, 05:34:40 PM »
You know I really don't want to lock this thread but if you guys keep talking about trannies, I will.  This forum is for discussion of the C14, not alternate life styles.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #61 on: December 22, 2011, 08:14:37 PM »
I take it "Ticked-Off Trannies With Knives" is not one of your favorite movies?
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline The Pope

• COG #9994 (NC AAD)
« Reply #62 on: December 23, 2011, 02:48:02 AM »
Jim ....... Are you trying to tell us something???  ???   :o 
The Pope
2011 C-14 Atomic Silver...... aka ImprovedSilverDammIt.

"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots. So far, God is winning by a wide margin." Unknown author, well I don't know who said it.

Online VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #63 on: December 23, 2011, 04:12:59 AM »
Yes, that I like MCs.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline mcclaskeyj

• Adventure...redefined
« Reply #64 on: January 10, 2012, 08:19:19 AM »
So after 1 1/2 months the bike is STILL in the shop awaiting parts which are backordered from Japan. They are waiting 2 more weeks (estimated) for 3rd and 4th gear to arrive so they can begin re-assembly.  >:(
This thing better run PERFECT when they're done with it. The mechanic told me they had to totally disassemble just about everything on the bike and it's taking up two work areas...kinda like it just exploded into thousands of parts everywhere.

I'm just hoping they can get ALL those parts back where they go.  ;)
'83 C70 Honda Passport   '06 Honda Rebel 250
'76 Kawasaki KZ400          '79 Suzuki GS1000L
'04 Kawasaki Ninja 250     '07 C14 ABS  '09 C14 Red                            '08 CRF230L
http://www.bikepics.com/members/mcclaskeyj/

Offline Conrad

« Reply #65 on: January 10, 2012, 09:00:08 AM »
So after 1 1/2 months the bike is STILL in the shop awaiting parts which are backordered from Japan. They are waiting 2 more weeks (estimated) for 3rd and 4th gear to arrive so they can begin re-assembly.  >:(
This thing better run PERFECT when they're done with it. The mechanic told me they had to totally disassemble just about everything on the bike and it's taking up two work areas...kinda like it just exploded into thousands of parts everywhere.

Kawasaki builds some redundancy into these things, you won't need all those parts anyways.    ;)
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline ZedHed

« Reply #66 on: January 10, 2012, 05:55:18 PM »
So after 1 1/2 months the bike is STILL in the shop awaiting parts which are backordered from Japan.

This thing better run PERFECT when they're done with it.

The mechanic told me they had to totally disassemble just about everything on the bike and it's taking up two work areas...kinda like it just exploded into thousands of parts everywhere.

What do you think those odds are?  Most shops can screw up a simple tire change, much less a complete motor left apart for weeks in a busy shop.   Sorry for the pessimism but I have been there - done that !!
"Life is a hard teacher - you get the test before the lesson is taught..."

Offline mcclaskeyj

• Adventure...redefined
« Reply #67 on: January 11, 2012, 06:01:50 AM »
What do you think those odds are?  Most shops can screw up a simple tire change, much less a complete motor left apart for weeks in a busy shop.   Sorry for the pessimism but I have been there - done that !!
I've been there too with my other connie for a simple insurance claim which ended up lasting 2 months and me having to put all the parts back on myself.  >:(

First thing I'm going to do is pull the plastic off to see how well they put this thing back together.
'04 Kawasaki Ninja 250     '07 C14 ABS  '09 C14 Red                            '08 CRF230L

Offline chi-gpz1100

« Reply #68 on: January 13, 2012, 10:00:41 PM »
Years ago, I was a field tech for compusa.  If you bought an extended warranty with onsite service, i'd be the guy to come out and fix your computer.  I dealt with desktops, servers and their mac equivalents.  The last day on the job, I get stuck with replacing a motherboard on a toshiba laptop.  Now mind you, i've never worked on a laptop before, had no service manual, and a day prior had a b!tch session with the dept manager (reason for my leaving).  So I get the machine torn apart.  Close to 3 dozen screws of various colors and sizes.  Apparently toshiba used a layered approach.   There was a very specific order in which the parts came off, and had to go back in. 

Needless to say, I had a few extra screws left over and several other pieces.  To make matters worse, the system still didn't post (turn on).  Assuming the replacement part toshiba sent out was good, the only other conclusion is possible failed cpu.  Or perhaps it was misdiagnosed.  Anyways, I put all the extra parts into a baggy and left a note for the regular laptop guy, "needs further attention".

Lets hope the guy working on OP's bike isn't in similar shoes as I was  :o

Offline Conrad

« Reply #69 on: January 14, 2012, 04:46:35 AM »
Years ago, I was a field tech for compusa.  If you bought an extended warranty with onsite service, i'd be the guy to come out and fix your computer.  I dealt with desktops, servers and their mac equivalents.  The last day on the job, I get stuck with replacing a motherboard on a toshiba laptop.  Now mind you, i've never worked on a laptop before, had no service manual, and a day prior had a b!tch session with the dept manager (reason for my leaving).  So I get the machine torn apart.  Close to 3 dozen screws of various colors and sizes.  Apparently toshiba used a layered approach.   There was a very specific order in which the parts came off, and had to go back in. 

Needless to say, I had a few extra screws left over and several other pieces.  To make matters worse, the system still didn't post (turn on).  Assuming the replacement part toshiba sent out was good, the only other conclusion is possible failed cpu.  Or perhaps it was misdiagnosed.  Anyways, I put all the extra parts into a baggy and left a note for the regular laptop guy, "needs further attention".

Lets hope the guy working on OP's bike isn't in similar shoes as I was   :o

Let's hope that he doesn't need a really large baggie. 

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline mcclaskeyj

• Adventure...redefined
« Reply #70 on: January 16, 2012, 10:47:40 AM »
Let's hope that he doesn't need a really large baggie.
Lol they better not!  ::)

Offline mcclaskeyj

• Adventure...redefined
« Reply #71 on: February 01, 2012, 09:03:13 AM »
UPDATE....

I'm told that I should be able to pick up my sweet Connie this weekend!  :D
We'll see if they put it together right afterwards. I'm not leaving that parking lot until I check everything out and ensure it's done right.

Offline The Pope

• COG #9994 (NC AAD)
« Reply #72 on: February 01, 2012, 11:12:59 AM »
About time! Yes check it out real good. Hope everythings better than new!
The Pope
2011 C-14 Atomic Silver...... aka ImprovedSilverDammIt.

"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots. So far, God is winning by a wide margin." Unknown author, well I don't know who said it.

Offline mcclaskeyj

• Adventure...redefined
« Reply #73 on: February 01, 2012, 11:15:21 AM »
About time! Yes check it out real good. Hope everythings better than new!
It better be for the length they've had it for! I'll have to start a new thread about the exstasy of getting to ride it again after two months away.  ;D

Offline ZedHed

« Reply #74 on: February 02, 2012, 08:13:31 PM »
UPDATE....

I'm told that I should be able to pick up my sweet Connie this weekend!  :D
We'll see if they put it together right afterwards. I'm not leaving that parking lot until I check everything out and ensure it's done right.

How you gonna do that?  You got an x-ray machine or something?  All you can do is see if they put all the bolts back.  They could have over or under-torqued things, improperly shimmed the output section, so on, so forth ad nauseam.  I just hope if they did "roach" it, that it doesn't lock up and hurt you. 

I know this all sounds very cynical,  but there are just too many ways it could go bad -- hope for the best, plan for the worst.
"Life is a hard teacher - you get the test before the lesson is taught..."

Offline Conrad

« Reply #75 on: February 03, 2012, 04:48:36 AM »
How you gonna do that?  You got an x-ray machine or something?  All you can do is see if they put all the bolts back.  They could have over or under-torqued things, improperly shimmed the output section, so on, so forth ad nauseam.  I just hope if they did "roach" it, that it doesn't lock up and hurt you. 

I know this all sounds very cynical,  but there are just too many ways it could go bad -- hope for the best, plan for the worst.

That's the spirit!    :o

Offline mcclaskeyj

• Adventure...redefined
« Reply #76 on: February 03, 2012, 10:19:41 AM »
Well....I'll bet the header nuts won't be loose!  ;D

Offline mcclaskeyj

• Adventure...redefined
« Reply #77 on: February 13, 2012, 12:38:59 PM »
Ok so I FINALLY got my Connie back from the dealership after a couple months. I went over as much as I could see and get to from the plastic panels and such and so far everything looks just like it was when I dropped it off.
I found the glovebox screw wasn't screwed in all the way and would've fallen out eventually but everything else looked good.

I took it to Battle Assembly this weekend and it performed flawlessly. They fixed the PCV grounding issue I had and it runs perfect. I need a new front tire soon. I just forgot how powerful that engine is after not driving it for a couple months. I'm so used to cracking the throttle wide open like the dual sport bike I've been riding in it's place...boy was that a suprise for me when I opened it in 1st like that!  :yikes:

Connie, how I've missed you girl!  ;D

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #78 on: February 13, 2012, 12:57:04 PM »
Sounds like things worked out in the end, glad ya have it back on the road!

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #79 on: February 13, 2012, 02:07:39 PM »
Congrats MC, glad to hear you've got her back on the road!  :)