Author Topic: Backfiring: is it normal?  (Read 1700 times)

Offline ugocon

Backfiring: is it normal?
« on: September 26, 2012, 01:21:54 AM »
Ciao everybody.
I just changed my slip-on with the Leo Vince Titanium (I'll post pics soon, but I'm lazy...  8) ).
The sound is slightly louder with an important low pitched component: I like it!
What I notice, though, is now the popping sound typical of backfiring when releasing the throttle (with throttle open or accelerating nothing at all...)
I do like it and I also had it in my stock Dyna Street Bob  :)
What I'm wondering is if changing the slip-on to a more "aggressive" one can cause this or it's due to other factors.
The cathalytic converter is still there and nothing has been touched in the EFI.
Moreover all the bolts seems well tightened and no air spill seems to occur.
I say again, I like it and I'm just wondering if it can be considered normal with the new exhaust.
Stand out from the crowd: do not buy a BMW !!!

Offline OCK913

• Arena
    • The Orlando Riders Club
Re: Backfiring: is it normal?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2012, 02:27:18 AM »
Yes, it is normal when you change the exhaust. If you like it, there is no harm in leaving it. If you want to eliminate it, here is the fix.
http://www.holeshot.com/Concours_c14/c14decel_inst.html
            2009 Kawasaki C14 - Black

Offline Conrad

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2012, 05:05:17 AM »
Yep, as OCK913 says, it's normal. Mine does it too and I like the sound, a lot. The sound was there before but the bazooka attenuated it enough that it wasn't noticeable.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline ugocon

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2012, 11:25:14 AM »
Glad to hear it's normal: I can keep enjoying listening to it!  ;D

Thank you!
Ugo
Stand out from the crowd: do not buy a BMW !!!

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2012, 11:27:28 AM »
I put the quiet tip back in my Leo Vince and it reduced the pop quite a bit. I'd say it almost eliminated it all together. Still sounds good, though.
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2012, 12:09:12 PM »
Yes, it is normal when you change the exhaust. If you like it, there is no harm in leaving it. If you want to eliminate it, here is the fix.
http://www.holeshot.com/Concours_c14/c14decel_inst.html

I did this fix on my dual Muzzy's and it still pops quite a bit. More so than Jay's bike. I don't care for my new Connie sounding like a half wit Harley on decel.  :o