Author Topic: Mean streak wheel install  (Read 3044 times)

Offline Mike G

Mean streak wheel install
« on: August 24, 2012, 06:36:58 AM »
I bought a mean streak wheel off of Jan Trento about a year ago, bought a Nomad front disk off of ebay about three months ago, had the wheel machined about six weeks ago and installed it last night!  I would like to thank Dan Bergman for pioneering this mod as it’s as close to plug and play as you will ever get.  I rode this morning and my first impressions are pretty much what I have read from others.  There is an on ramp on the way to work that can safely be taken at 100 mph.   With the AM26 Roadrider the bike would wallow over the uneven pavement, nothing dangerous just annoying.  I took the same corner this morning and the bike was rock steady.  I installed a new Pilot Road 3 in 170/60-17 based on all the positive reviews this tire has been getting especially traction in the wet.  I recently invested in some decent all weather gear and now ride rain or shine so wet traction has moved up the priority list for me. I still have a Bridgestone BT023 on the front and look forward to having a matched set of tires for the first time since buying the bike four years ago.  For those interested I got 10,500 miles out of the Roadrider and I was just down to the wear bars.

It may have been posted previously but I was curious about the weight difference between the two complete wheels so I weighted them both before swapping.  The mean streak wheel complete with tire and brake disk weights 44 lbs. and the Concours wheel weighs 40 lbs.  I guess in a perfect world the new wheel combo would weigh less but that’s life.

All in all, color me happy ;D

Mike G

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
Re: Mean streak wheel install
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2012, 07:41:15 AM »
Yes the Mean Streak Wheel is just about the best thing to come along since sliced bread.... I run the same wheel with a 170/60-17 too and a complete ZRX front end complete with the 120/70-17 wheel and I absolutely love how the bike now handles as all in all it is very neutral and relaxed and just seems well planted and good to go....

But truthfully Dan did not pioneer the Mean Streak Wheel he simply brought it to our attention when he did it. It was done by another Concours rider who to the best of my info/research had nothing at all to do with COG....
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2012, 05:04:50 AM »
Tee - IIRC, Dan was the first one to do the mean streak wheel. I remember his posts on the drive spline commonality, etc, and he actually bought a brand new wheel and worked out all the math on trimming for the brake rotor. Who are you thinking did it first? Steve

Offline Mike G

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2012, 05:19:38 AM »
I saved a copy of that thread before the forum crash and read it before doing the wheel, that's why I was assuming Dan was first.

Mike G

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2012, 06:03:17 AM »
Tee - IIRC, Dan was the first one to do the mean streak wheel. I remember his posts on the drive spline commonality, etc, and he actually bought a brand new wheel and worked out all the math on trimming for the brake rotor. Who are you thinking did it first? Steve

Dan did his late in 08 and I followed Dan in the spring of 09.... I know of an Eli (ZL) done in 07 and as to the first Concours to get the Meany rear wheel I really don't recall the who or exactly when but I do recall finding it in a Google search back in 08/09 so for all I really know it could have been pre 07...
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 08:30:13 AM by T Cro ® »
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline vinny

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2012, 02:50:45 PM »
May have been a little earlier than 07 for an Eliminator.
I believe MachIV did his in 06?