Author Topic: Front brake bleed valve question  (Read 1930 times)

Offline Ron Dawg

• Arena
  • a/k/a ron203
Front brake bleed valve question
« on: August 30, 2011, 07:41:56 PM »
I was doing the front brakes on my 2000 C-10 and thought I'd replace the bleeder valves with Murph's speed bleeder valves. Right side went okay. Left side not so okay. I could not get it to start straight and finally put the old one back in. Today after about 150 miles I noticed fluid coming out of the valve (old one on the left). I cannot tell if the thread is buggered up or if the thread "dope" is just leaking. I cleaned the thread and it seems to run in okay, but of course still leaks.

Here's the question: Short of buying a new bleeder valve, what kind of pipe thread dope should be used on this valve? Thanks for any tips.
Ron
2014 C-14 Red

Offline Leo

Re: Front brake bleed valve question
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 08:09:24 PM »
Ron, the brake bleeder fitting does not seal at the threads,  The threads just hold it under tension.  I put a tiny bit of anti seize on mine to prevent corrosion, but that is all.  That taper point on the end of the bleeder screw crushes against a tapered hole in the caliper, that is where the seal is made.  Any pipe tape, dope, or any other seal will only cause problems.  If you have managed to install the bleeder plug off center and the tapered plug will not center in the tapered hole, you need a caliper and a bleeder screw.  I would take it out and inspect it with a magnifying glass for any nicks or pits.  Try re installing a good bleeder screw and torque it to the top of the specification, loosen and re torque,  That may straighten out any problem you have with the seating surface.   Good Luck
Yep, still riding the old one

In Indiana, missing Texas

Offline Ron Dawg

• Arena
  • a/k/a ron203
Re: Front brake bleed valve question
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 08:14:45 PM »
Thanks Leo.
2014 C-14 Red