Author Topic: Sorry, but I can't seem to find oil change intervals  (Read 7499 times)

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
Re: Sorry, but I can't seem to find oil change intervals
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2011, 09:28:01 AM »
Very good and true points Ted; I should have elaborated further as I totally agree with you here.
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline bbroj

• To be determined...
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2011, 01:59:44 PM »
This is great stuff, very informative! I agree with the statement that car makers recommend 3kmi changes in "severe" use, but looking at how they define severe, I always fall into that category. "Severe" usually means "city" driving. Lots of stop and go, or short trips. Towing also throws you into the "severe" group. If my truck wasn't going the short 14 mi each way to work, it had a 5000lb camper behind it. I changed oil and filter regularly at 3k with the recommended semi synthetic 5w20 (another whole discussion, I was blown away at how thin this stuff was, but the manufacturer and dealer stood by it, even towing. The basic explanation was tighter tollerances=thinner oil to get in the smaller gaps).

On the bike, my riding is not extreme on the sport side of things, but probably still counts as severe. Same short 14 mi trip to and from work, with regular 2 up trips and the bike fully loaded. It seems to be a false economy to try to get an entire season out of a single oil change. This year will most likely come in around 7-8k before storing the bike. I'll change between 3 and 4k and call it good. Besides, I agree with those who claim better shifting after an oil change.
'12 C-14, Vance and Hines CS One muffler, lowered pegs, tank bra, bar risers, Phil's Farkles rack with Givi V46 top box, fender extender, Bucks tail brights, Canyon Cages and much more to come!
COG 9331
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?action=dlattach;attach=1302;type=avatar&time=1422479190

Offline Furbo

• Arena
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2011, 02:05:33 AM »
First, lemme say I'ma lazy slug.   :o  There - now that that's established. 8)

I ride the C-10 about 10K miles/yr, 90% of it on looong rides.

Every winter, I grab the Jack Daniels, my old pipe, zippo, and head into the garage to chainge the oil & filter, adjust the valves, and sync the carbs (and just get the hell away from SWMBO for awhile...). :chugbeer:

If I used the bike regularly for commuting - which is much harder on a machine than long distance riding - I'd do both more often. BUT - that's what I do. 
05 C-10
Eccl: 9: 7-10

Offline m hanlen

« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2011, 09:22:53 AM »
OK, I give up, what's SWMBO ?

Offline gtr1000

• Arena
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2011, 09:51:07 AM »
OK, I give up, what's SWMBO ?

She Who Must Be Obeyed  ;). Generally wife, girlfriend, partner etc..
Paul OTP (near Windsor, GB).

06 C-10, 2009 to .....
A5 C-10, 2000 to 2009.

Offline gtr1000inFL

« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2011, 08:38:26 AM »
This is great stuff, very informative! I agree with the statement that car makers recommend 3kmi changes in "severe" use, but looking at how they define severe, I always fall into that category. "Severe" usually means "city" driving.
Exactly.
If you're ever in the used motorcycle market looking to buy a bike, would you respond first to the guy recording oil changes at 3,000 miles for the life of the bike, or the guy saying 7,500 miles whether it needed it or not?  Oil cools and cleans as well as lubricates.  Everyone might agree after an oil change, they usually hear a quieter engine compared to before the oil change.  The increase in my cost is $35 every 3 months instead of every 6 months.  I don't think I'm concerned about excessive maintenance costs here, just the consequences of my rings and bearings if I'm neglecting the chore.  I managed for 7 years in those quick oil change companies.  I've seen tens of thousands of oil changes, not 3 or 4 a year.   I have my own experience of what neglect and proper care looks like and took the time to document independent analysis of used oil in many cars, to either deny or support the oil companies statement to change it for severe duty intervals.   (many oil companies do this for free so send in your oil and filter next time you exceed the interval and tell us what they said.)  Cut your old oil filter open, take a look sometime.  Like I said, it's your bike, not mine.  Who would actually push the point on something so inexpensive a chore, to its limits? 
I really don't think anyone gives a second thought about the oil companies profit when it's time to change oil.  I think it's putting off maintenance out of laziness or procrastination, it's almost an American tradition.   Whatever your reasons and choices, when you decide to sell it, be sure to be truthful about the maintenance when asked.  It's funny how many say "Oh every 3,000 miles" when I can tell from the brown baked on dirt in the fill hole or sight glass, they're only wishing they had.

voileauciel

« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2011, 02:01:42 PM »
I do mine obsessively every 3000 miles. I'll even go so far as to do it a little early than to let it go past that point. New filter with every change, new o-rings on the filter plate as needed. No point in running the risk when the whole procedure takes less than an hour to do...