Author Topic: A thread about nothing at all....  (Read 729571 times)

Offline Rhino

• Arena
Re: A thread about nothing at all....
« Reply #1840 on: January 07, 2015, 08:50:17 AM »
Cool info! I've been on "Old Ironsides" once. Can't imagine what it was like to go to war in a ship like that.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #1841 on: January 07, 2015, 01:29:08 PM »
Back when 'ships were wood and men were iron'? Yeah, I've read a little about that period and way of life and I have to say I just ain't up to it.... The entire way of life was simply awful, and that was when things were going well, the weather nice and all was in order. The deck hands used to take off their shoes when going into battle so they did not slip as easily on the blood soon to be all over the decks :-(    And if an individual was so unfortunate as to be wounded and NOT die, then the ship's surgeon (yeah, that definition is a stretch) would 'tend' to you with a knife and a red iron to close up the would. Good times....

Brian

Cool info! I've been on "Old Ironsides" once. Can't imagine what it was like to go to war in a ship like that.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #1842 on: January 09, 2015, 12:12:17 PM »
It seems that as many as 64 students are being investigated for cheating in an undergraduate class named “Sports, Ethics & Religion.”  Just going by the last couple of decades and the number of sports figures committing serious felonies, up to and including murder, I really do not see the point in making a big deal about this.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2015/01/08/dartmouth/GN8oLJcgKj7R1nOoPNiLdL/story.html

Then again, George Washington was so public minded and such a generally spiffy guy that he refused the salary offered to him as President..... and then turned in a bill for 'expenses' that was six time what he was offered in salary in the first place.

The very best comedians have never had to do anything but observe and report....

Brian
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #1843 on: January 09, 2015, 12:20:59 PM »
It seems that as many as 64 students are being investigated for cheating in an undergraduate class named “Sports, Ethics & Religion.”  Just going by the last couple of decades and the number of sports figures committing serious felonies, up to and including murder, I really do not see the point in making a big deal about this.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2015/01/08/dartmouth/GN8oLJcgKj7R1nOoPNiLdL/story.html

Then again, George Washington was so public minded and such a generally spiffy guy that he refused the salary offered to him as President..... and then turned in a bill for 'expenses' that was six time what he was offered in salary in the first place.

The very best comedians have never had to do anything but observe and report....

Brian

Only 6 times? I watched a documentary regarding Air Force One and they went over everything it takes to plan and execute a trip for the president. This particular trip was for "W" to go to Africa and they estimated the cost around $100,000,000 for just the one trip. Obama had his dog flown out on a V-22 Osprey to Martha's Vineyard. I bet the expense to salary ratio for a modern president these days is 10,000 to 1.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #1844 on: January 09, 2015, 01:04:45 PM »
All fine and well but these things are all provided for the president, not a choice of the president. Again, the point was not the cost but the fact that in the interest of 'rising to help the fledgling country', Ole' George refused a salary. Then submitted a bill that totally negated his selfless act in the first place.

Brian

Only 6 times? I watched a documentary regarding Air Force One and they went over everything it takes to plan and execute a trip for the president. This particular trip was for "W" to go to Africa and they estimated the cost around $100,000,000 for just the one trip. Obama had his dog flown out on a V-22 Osprey to Martha's Vineyard. I bet the expense to salary ratio for a modern president these days is 10,000 to 1.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #1845 on: January 16, 2015, 05:33:37 PM »
I've got a problem with alcohol........................................................I've run out.   :rotflmao:   Not really, but I thought it was hilarious.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #1846 on: January 20, 2015, 04:11:54 PM »
Let the drinking begin!
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #1847 on: January 20, 2015, 04:13:01 PM »
Running late?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #1848 on: January 20, 2015, 08:03:23 PM »
Quite the opposite...

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #1849 on: January 21, 2015, 05:13:36 AM »
Irish joke:

A man walks into an Irish pub and asks for a beer.  The bar keep says "We don't have any".
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #1850 on: January 23, 2015, 06:23:13 AM »
At some point Stevie Nicks wanted to join Tom Petty and Heartbreakers.  She asked twice and was refused twice.  Tom Petty's answer (twice) was  'but we're the Hearbreakers.'  No girls allowed (my interpretation).  However, she did collaborate quite heavily with that group and Tom.  That collaboration propelled her solo career to even greater heights.  Gives me goosebumps thinking about that.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #1851 on: January 23, 2015, 06:59:01 AM »
She wrote that song for him too, "hard Advice", per a conversation she had with him.  I didn;t realize how close they are until i heard about that.
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #1852 on: January 23, 2015, 07:04:58 AM »
He wrote a song or two for her and took them back he liked them so much..

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #1853 on: January 23, 2015, 08:57:44 AM »
He wrote a song or two for her and took them back he liked them so much..

"heartbreaker!"   ;D
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #1854 on: January 23, 2015, 03:01:07 PM »
hmmmmmm

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #1855 on: January 23, 2015, 03:01:59 PM »
 :rotflmao:

Offline Classvino

• Longtime Kawi Rider
« Reply #1856 on: January 23, 2015, 08:26:23 PM »
Irish joke:

A man walks into an Irish pub and asks for a beer.  The bar keep says "We don't have any".

Another one :

An Irishman walks out of a bar.

Jamie
2013 C14 - First "new" bike
1983 CB1100F, 1977 GS850, 1974 KH750 H2, 1974 KH500 H1, 1975 KH400 S3, 1979 RD 400 Daytona......

voileauciel

« Reply #1857 on: January 24, 2015, 10:26:54 PM »
What do you call a nosy pepper?

Jalapeno business.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #1858 on: January 29, 2015, 09:59:37 AM »
America is a great country, in part, because each of us wants to out- do the next guy and move on to new heights. Remember when those delivery company employees were chucking packages over fences and kicking them back to the truck? Well, I predict that soon enough, those folks will not only be the start employees of their respective delivery firms but getting the big bonus and all the praise they truly deserve. Wanna' know what will propel them to those lofty heights?

http://consumerist.com/2015/01/28/ups-sorry-about-that-driver-who-peed-on-house-after-throwing-package/

Everything is relative.

Now if this is a direct progression, I can get a pretty good idea of what is coming next..... so in the future, when you get a package delivered, might want to watch where you step when going outside to retrieve it.... Juss' sayin'

Brian

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #1859 on: February 04, 2015, 12:26:06 PM »
We all know water has three states, gaseous (water vapor, commonly seen as steam), liquid (water) and solid (ice). And we all know that if ice is left in a warm place, it first goes from the solid to the liquid (it melts), then from the liquid to the gaseous (it evaporates). Always. Well, always except when it does not....

Take snow for example: most snow 'disappears' without leaving any, or not nearly enough liquid water behind. In fact, a lot of snow simply 'disappears' without ever having been water at all. The process is called sublimation and it is when a solid turns into a gas without ever having been a liquid. This is how most snow is lost: the top simply sublimates into the atmosphere in the form of water vapor without ever having been water. What is most interesting about this is that the process happens even when the environment is below freezing in temperature and everything is frozen..... when the outside temp. is in the 10 to 20F range, snow will disappear each and every day until it is gone without ever being water or getting anything wet.

Some compounds do not have a liquid state; carbon dioxide for example. It can be gas or it can be solid but it cannot be liquid. Which makes it a wonderful stuff to keep things cold without ever getting them 'wet' with any liquid. In fact, we commonly call it 'dry ice' exactly because it has no liquid state and will not get anything wet.

Brian