Author Topic: Hating the Stock Exhaust  (Read 21362 times)

Offline PlaynInPeoria

Re: Hating the Stock Exhaust
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2016, 01:46:12 PM »
I just put on a 18" CF oval Delkevic slip on and like it allot.

Now, not only do I have a bike with a powerful engine, I have a bike that has a powerful sounding engine.

I have the same.  I thought I was buying the same as my brother, he has the tri-oval which is cooler looking but about $50 more, so I am ok with mine.  Sounds better, looks better, handles better (to me, anyway) and with the SISF, it just totally changed the character of the bike.  Very nice and my slip on was only about $260 or so?
2012 "root beer" C14 - unlinked brakes, reflash, LED headlights, Walmart orange city lights, LOUD horn, Laam seat, radar detector for ahem, reasons.
2013 Aprilia Tuono, 2009 CRF-150F

Offline BigEdPVD

« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2016, 04:21:46 AM »
I will be ditching the Area P slip on, and going with an early ZX14 header with Area P carbon fiber ZX14 duals.  Just ordered them yesterday and chomping at the bit to get them hung!  A Shoodaben flash will be very soon to follow!

can't wait!
"You've seen it, you've HEARD it, and you're still asking questions?!?"
"Yeah, when do we go for a RIDE!?!?"

Offline katata1100

« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2016, 03:06:13 PM »
I thought I'd add that I like the stock exhaust (maybe I'm the first to say it?). It's very quiet so when I ride, I don't have to turn the volume way up (possibly to damaging levels) in my helmet to listen to music and gps directions.
Just something to think about.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2016, 04:21:39 PM »
I thought I'd add that I like the stock exhaust (maybe I'm the first to say it?).

You are far from the first.  I say it all the time, and have since I bought it in 2011.   Although few people complain about the exhaust [system] just the muffler.  I find it looks and sounds just fine (as long as the bags are on... which in my case is all the time).
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline smokin

« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2016, 01:10:59 AM »
I too like the stock muffler,quiet,and the fact that it has a exhaust shield directly under the rider's foot rest is a big plus when riding in the hot conditions in Queensland Australia.
It does look a bit fugley,but when you fit  MC Enterprises canyon bars and take of the side panniers  off than you have a really fugley look with the rear bars sticking out.But I always leave the side panniers on all the time unless I am washing the bike,the whole deal looks fine.Some of those after market slip ons look cheap and a after thought when the panniers are removed IMHO.
But IMHO the standard muffler certainly is well engineered in terms of power loss compared to after market slip ons considering there is very little if any power increase it would seem with slip ons,just a lighter wallet,more noise and a perception of a better looking bike.
But what ever floats your boat.
SONS OF ARTHRITIS RIDE HARD MEDICATE OFTEN.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2016, 06:45:57 AM »
It seems that some folks who are still running the stock exhaust always mention how loud aftermarket cans are. I have the Area P CF slip on and the only time it gets loud is when I want it to be loud, as in when I 'get on it', then it screams. If I don't get on it it's very sedate and on par with the stocker.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 09:10:15 AM by Conrad »
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2016, 09:02:43 AM »
I couldn't care less about making noise, but I detested the stock can the moment I saw this bike in the magazines in 2007. As soon as I could afford it, I went for the quietest and, to my taste (my bike), nicest can I could find: a Remus Hexacone. Just amazing, subtle while cruising, baritone when opening up. And the 1 HP extra (Remus claims +2.5 HP, magazines measured a bit less) combined with the 10 lb diet, just round up the subjective pleasure I get from it.
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline Zacharykro6

« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2016, 11:17:23 AM »
I couldn't care less about making noise, but I detested the stock can the moment I saw this bike in the magazines in 2007. As soon as I could afford it, I went for the quietest and, to my taste (my bike), nicest can I could find: a Remus Hexacone. Just amazing, subtle while cruising, baritone when opening up. And the 1 HP extra (Remus claims +2.5 HP, magazines measured a bit less) combined with the 10 lb diet, just round up the subjective pleasure I get from it.

+1 just installed my Remus Hexacone I think it has the cleanest mounting system and best look overall. I also considered the CS one and Scorpion

all the slip-on exhaust dynos ive seen (delkevic etc.) show gains at the high end of the rpms but losses down low, performance is not really a decision factor for mufflers unless you are racing it. If you are racing you want the smallest least restrictive pipe possible
Every thing I drive is special and makes me excited just looking at it

Offline Charlie747

« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2016, 04:27:19 PM »
My Beowulf..........sounds nice....................easy fit ...............value for money

URL=http://s1248.photobucket.com/user/CharlieA380/media/GTR%20K16/image_zpsd1d6hey4.jpeg.html][/URL]

Offline smokin

« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2016, 08:20:20 PM »
Regarding the Remus and Beowulf slip ons ,do create a "popping noise"on deceleration? They are both good looking exhausts,suit the bike.

Offline Zacharykro6

« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2016, 06:25:10 AM »
Regarding the Remus and Beowulf slip ons ,do create a "popping noise"on deceleration? They are both good looking exhausts,suit the bike.

I have noticed 0 popping noise, I have the baffle in.

The hexacone has a unique six sided design hence HEX in the name. I like how it mounts without a strap around the muffler like must slip ons, and it looks really trick with the baffle out.

On the C14 I think the only way you could go wrong is to put fish tail pipes on it  :rotflmao:
Every thing I drive is special and makes me excited just looking at it

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2016, 08:20:55 AM »
Wait wait! Someone makes FISHTAILS for the C14!!?? Who? Take my money!!!!!!
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2016, 09:27:36 AM »
Fish tail tips for Muzzys? I'm in too.

Offline sanmo

• Arena
« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2016, 11:59:32 AM »
Fishtails on lovely mermaids? I'll take a dozen of those.   ::)
2008 Silverdammit C14

Offline Charlie747

« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2016, 06:06:21 AM »
Wait wait! Someone makes FISHTAILS for the C14!!?? Who? Take my money!!!!!!

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :chugbeer: :chugbeer:

Offline DaddyFlip

« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2016, 07:44:19 AM »
It seems that some folks who are still running the stock exhaust always mention how loud aftermarket cans are. I have the Area P CF slip on and the only time it gets loud is when I want it to be loud, as in when I 'get on it', then it screams. If I don't get on it it's very sedate and on par with the stocker.

I concur. Just put on the Area P CF slip on and I like it. It does rip-snort when I get on it, but it's quiet otherwise. Just a little decel pop, but doesn't bother me. Blows the stocker away on looks and weight. I'm pleased; high value addition to the bike.
2001 ZR-7s "Ol' Red"
1995 FXDWG

Offline Conrad

« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2016, 10:21:40 AM »
I concur. Just put on the Area P CF slip on and I like it. It does rip-snort when I get on it, but it's quiet otherwise. Just a little decel pop, but doesn't bother me. Blows the stocker away on looks and weight. I'm pleased; high value addition to the bike.

I actually like the decel pop, it's more like a burble/rumble on my bike.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2016, 12:33:41 PM »
+1
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline BigEdPVD

« Reply #38 on: August 04, 2016, 07:01:19 PM »
Went from Area P stainless to Area P CF single that will soon be an Area P CF dual through a ZX14 header.  LOVE the sound of the CF can!

"You've seen it, you've HEARD it, and you're still asking questions?!?"
"Yeah, when do we go for a RIDE!?!?"

Offline smokin

« Reply #39 on: August 04, 2016, 09:08:34 PM »
Looks good, a few questions:
1.Do you have a p3/v fitted?
2.Area P claim an increase in power with standard fuel mapping, do you noticed any difference in response, power or fuel economy?

Area P Dyno Claim:
Slip-On - Power increase starts immediately from 2500 rpm and carries through peak at 9250 rpm. Very linear. Increase was 5.62 horsepower and 4.68 foot pound torque. The chart shows runs with the 18" muffler/2.0" core. The stock fuel curve was slightly lean in spots up to about 8000 rpm, then rich on top end.  Although not required, It may benefit with the addition of a PC3/V.