Author Topic: Coldest ride  (Read 20849 times)

Offline inthedmv

Coldest ride
« on: November 26, 2013, 08:05:50 PM »
The display said 25 degrees the other morning (see attached).  Can anyone beat that?  No pic, it didn't happen...

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: Coldest ride
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2013, 09:53:01 PM »
The display said 25 degrees the other morning (see attached).  Can anyone beat that?

Yikes, no.  30's are way too cold for me.

No pic, it didn't happen...

Well, a picture of a dash doesn't prove anything, anyway...
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline cugsy

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2013, 10:19:29 PM »
Its been 2 degrees C ...er ...don't know what that is in F. Might turn on the heated grips if it drops.  8)
Bloody hell - its a heavy bike!

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2013, 11:06:30 PM »
Heading east out of Alpine TX in march last year it was in the mid 30s but we rode into a weird patch of cold that lasted for about 10 miles. Temp gauge suddenly dropped to 20F. Faceshield frosted up and I had to flip it open in order to see. Sheet off ice popped off. I was worried about ice on the road. I was not inclined to try to pull out my camera under the circumstances so I guess it didn't really happen.

If I can help it, I don't ride when it's below 35.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2013, 11:18:07 PM »
Whelp since SIlverdammit of the Gen1 variety doesn't have no stinking gauge for whimper status you'll just have to trust me when I tell ya the low teens, single digits on the F8GS.  Gerbings Jacket, Hippohands, and smart wool socks are my friend ;D

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2013, 11:33:15 PM »
Teens many times, no pics though because the 08/09 has no dash temp display...  :(

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2013, 11:51:42 PM »
On a 1996 Triumph Trident 900 naked bike. I rode 160 miles and worked outside for 8 hours. High temperature of the day was 5 deg F. I remember I had to wrap a scarf around my head just leaving an eye slot to see before putting on my helmet. I even put a winter hat down the front of my pants to keep the cold out. Every driveway I rode on was pure ice, but the roads were great. This was not my favorite rides, but one I'll never forget. Any temp over 20 deg and dry I'll commute to Boston for work from Wells Maine on my C-14. I don't own any heated gear, but have been considering it more and more lately.
Sorry no pictures.
Joel from Maine.

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2013, 11:52:22 PM »
How far did you ride?
Joel from Maine.

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2013, 04:35:14 AM »
-20C (-4F) in southern Germany in Feb 1983.
Followed the snowplough into the depot near the Munich "ringroad" as had no choice. (3' of snow except where they had ploughed)
They gave me tea in their nice heated office while the icicles between my nose and top lip melted. (yeah, painful!)
No pics as even if I'd had a camera my fingers would not have been able to operate the buttons, despite the heated gloves, trousers, jacket & socks.
45 mins later followed another snowplough into Munich but after dropping the bike 3 times I walked the last 2 miles to where I was going.
In Munich it warmed up to a balmy -13C (+9F) but that just made the snow more slippery.
I ended up stuck in Munchen for a week. Was fun!  :P
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline Conrad

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2013, 04:58:06 AM »
Whelp since SIlverdammit of the Gen1 variety doesn't have no stinking gauge for whimper status you'll just have to trust me when I tell ya the low teens, single digits on the F8GS.  Gerbings Jacket, Hippohands, and smart wool socks are my friend ;D

+1 or 2. 20f for me the other day.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline phoneman

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2013, 05:20:21 AM »
  A few years back I rode my Fatboy about 65 miles to the dealer to have some work done.

16 f when I left the house.  About 18 f when I got there.

Fingerless gloves were all I had so I stopped about every 10 miles to warm my hands on the engine.   

Can't say it helped any because I had deep muscle tremors for about 2 hours afterwards.

But I came home with a good pair of gloves.

Aaahhh.  The memories .

Offline Classvino

• Longtime Kawi Rider
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2013, 09:44:05 AM »
Last week, taking the bike to my brothers place for winter storage...

-8c = 17f

2013 C14 - First "new" bike
1983 CB1100F, 1977 GS850, 1974 KH750 H2, 1974 KH500 H1, 1975 KH400 S3, 1979 RD 400 Daytona......

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2013, 09:54:11 AM »
Well, there was this one time, in band camp....

Brian

The display said 25 degrees the other morning (see attached).  Can anyone beat that?  No pic, it didn't happen...
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline philipintexas

• Phils Farkels
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2013, 10:14:36 AM »
Got caught in a blizzard in May at the N. rim of the Grand Canyon, The windscreen iced up, then my face shield and finally even my glasses iced up. I never bothered to look at the thermometer.

Second photo, Bryce Canyon this last Sept., 27 degrees, I delayed riding until it warmed up to 30 in spite of my wife's advice.

For future reference, to convert Centigrade to Fahrenheit; Double the number, subtract 10%, Add 32..   IE: 20C,  double = 40, sub. 10% (4) = 36, add 32 = 68F.

« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 11:21:33 AM by philipintexas »
Need a better luggage rack?  www.philsfarkels.com

Offline leisyman

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2013, 12:48:29 PM »
25-35 deg F is pretty common riding to work from Nov thru Dec here from Canon city to Colorado Springs

might even use my electric gloves tomorrow:)

below 25deg  for 35 mile commute gets a bit chilly, so I usually put it away in January

just for a little while, tho

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2013, 04:43:25 PM »
Got caught in a blizzard in May at the N. rim of the Grand Canyon, The windscreen iced up, then my face shield and finally even my glasses iced up. I never bothered to look at the thermometer.

You waited at a gas station for all the snow and ice to melt?  I can't imagine EVER trying to ride on snow or ice on a motorcycle.  That seems totally insane to me.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2013, 05:18:06 PM »
Riding a standard dirt bike (motocross) with standard knobbies, in the snow, is a GAS! Bear in mind that given at least 5 or 6 inches of snow will really dampen the inevitable fall and slide that is coming, although done at high speed (dirt bike high speed- what, 40 MPH?) you would not believe how many places the snow will get into. :yikes:

That aside, no normal, sane person would choose to ride a C-14 in the snow. But it occasionally happens that we who ride in colder climates occasionally do get stuck in a position where we have little choice. I have ridden my C-14 in the snow perhaps 4 or 5 times- both actively snowing (that is how I know that the air that comes into the vent hole in the windshield actually passes over my head) as well as snow on the ground. If you are thirty miles from home and it starts snowing you can forge ahead carefully or put up and then do something really difficult like get a tow or rent a trailer or something. I have also ridden 2-up in snow on a C-14 and my wife does not care for it either- but she didn't get off either. <shrugs shoulders>

And people get caught in snow when traveling, like Phil- going through a mountain pass in the spring or fall it may start to snow and what can you do? Stop on the side of the road and you are likely to get hit and all the while the snow is getting deeper.

Brian

You waited at a gas station for all the snow and ice to melt?  I can't imagine EVER trying to ride on snow or ice on a motorcycle.  That seems totally insane to me.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Son of Pappy

« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2013, 05:19:43 PM »

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2013, 05:59:45 AM »
That aside, no normal, sane person would choose to ride a C-14 in the snow.
I'm not even remotely normal. Mine was a Z1300/6.
And people get caught in snow when traveling
Yup, I didn't plan to ride in deep snow, I just got caught in bad weather whilst away from home.
Back then the weather forecasts were more of a weather guess.
I had the choice of 100Miles to Munich or 400Miles to get home.
Took me nearly 7 hours to do that 100Miles and the last 2 were on foot, but I made it.
The weather was so bad I ended up staying for a week.
The yummy little receptionist from the Munich office had nothing to do with it.  :P :-*
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline cugsy

« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2013, 07:42:06 AM »
When I bought the C10 in march it snowed on the way back home. My wife gave me a lift there....and decided to go shopping on the way back...in the snow. She had the satnav and I followed her to an Aldi carpark. Then I had some choice words about her timing and we went home.  Her sulking and me shi**ing myself with 1/4 ton of bike twitching for 40 odd miles.  Lovely ;D  John
Bloody hell - its a heavy bike!