Author Topic: Has anyone tried the Quiet Ride Muffs? Update...Installed and Reviewed!  (Read 20915 times)

Offline PH14

So today, my daughter and I went on a 300 mile ride through some warm areas, which hit nearly 100 degrees. Although my whole body was hot, I didn't notice that my ears were any hotter than the rest of my body. My ears didn't sweat any more than the rest of my head, either. My daughter, who doesn't have the Quiet Ride Muffs installed in her Arai Corsair V, wore ear plugs. Actually, I should qualify that, she wore them for half of the ride. Because it was such a long ride, the ear plugs started hurting her ears so much that she had to remove them. Then, she asked if we could change helmets. She wants me to install them in her helmet now. The only thing I don't like about the Quiet Ride Muffs is the name!  :o

Thanks for the update. Your wife's experience is exactly why I had custom ear plugs made. I wear mine all the time, to sleep, while traveling on planes and while riding the motorcycle. I can wear them all day and not even feel them. Of course in your case, you will be buying another set of Quiet Ride Muffs.  :finger_fing11:

Offline GordonM

The pictures below show the Quiet Ride Muffs installed in a Shoei Neotec XL helmet.  I decided to give them a try, not being an earplug sort of guy.  I have a shelf with many of those so called quiet helmets that did not do the job for me.  When commuting I like to crack the windscreen to keep my glasses from fogging and get more air flow when it is hot, well that does not help the noise levels.  I never liked blasting the speakers loud enough to make it through earplugs.  The thing I like with these muffs is you can vary the amount of quiet by how much you pump them up.  And you can totally release the air out to pull the muffs away from your ears for a break.  Putting the helmet on and taking it off is a breeze, my ears don't get tangled with the muffs which is great.

You can see that I hid the pump and release valve in the padded neck roll near the Cardo G9. G9 speakers sound great with muffs too.  The closer you get them to your ear the better.

Gordon

Offline Cougr67

I can't see the picture, anybody else??
2012 C14 - Black -

Offline Conrad

I can't see the picture, anybody else??

I see 'em.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline BeaverMatt

Great pics, thank you Gordon!  You integrated the pump quite seamlessly.
Beaver Matt

2009 C14
Black

Offline BeaverMatt

It's been about 2 months since you installed the muffs.  How do you like them now? Would you recommend them to others?
Beaver Matt

2009 C14
Black

Offline scgoan

Re: Has anyone tried the Quiet Ride Muffs? Update...Installed and Reviewed!
« Reply #46 on: April 03, 2014, 08:27:12 PM »
It's been about 2 months since you installed the muffs.  How do you like them now? Would you recommend them to others?

I'm so sorry that I didn't reply to your question sooner. i haven't been on the forum for a long while. I love the muffs!!! I can't imagine being without them. It's so nice to listen to my music without wind noise. When it's time for a new helmet, the first thing I'll be doing is installing another pair.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #47 on: April 04, 2014, 04:16:01 AM »
You know, for 80 bucks or so, this isn't a bad farkle to try.   I usually don't listen to music unless it's a long ride...300+, but I do answer the cell, especially when I'm on a business trip.  I also find that using ear plugs hurts after awhile.   Wind noise actually wears me out mentally and physically and I find that if the ride is quiet, I'm in much better shape.  I'm going to try these out.

Thanks, Scogan, for bringing this to our attention.   :finger_fing11:   And stop by more often!
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline scgoan

« Reply #49 on: April 04, 2014, 12:20:46 PM »
You know, for 80 bucks or so, this isn't a bad farkle to try.   I usually don't listen to music unless it's a long ride...300+, but I do answer the cell, especially when I'm on a business trip.  I also find that using ear plugs hurts after awhile.   Wind noise actually wears me out mentally and physically and I find that if the ride is quiet, I'm in much better shape.  I'm going to try these out.

Thanks, Scogan, for bringing this to our attention.   :finger_fing11:   And stop by more often!

For full disclosure, the setup is a bit intensive. The foam has to be cut out where the bladder and muffs go. In addition, I took it one step further and moved the chin strap for even a better fit, although this is not a necessary step.

Offline BeaverMatt

« Reply #50 on: April 04, 2014, 09:17:16 PM »
I'm so sorry that I didn't reply to your question sooner. i haven't been on the forum for a long while. I love the muffs!!! I can't imagine being without them. It's so nice to listen to my music without wind noise. When it's time for a new helmet, the first thing I'll be doing is installing another pair.

Thanks for the follow up.  Glad to hear they are working.  I'm still thinking about trying them myself.
Beaver Matt

2009 C14
Black

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #51 on: April 04, 2014, 09:35:27 PM »
I'm going to have to have a good look at my helmet.  I just remembered that it has the pump you up cheek pads (Scorpion)...
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline JS_racer

« Reply #52 on: April 05, 2014, 06:04:18 AM »
.........., I took it one step further and moved the chin strap for even a better fit............

how did you do that ??

Offline scgoan

« Reply #53 on: April 05, 2014, 10:05:19 AM »
I have a very tight Shoei X-11 that I really like. I also have very large ears that I have to unfold every time I put on my helmet. It's not the cheapest helmet around and so the thought of moving the chin strap made me nervous that I would ruin my helmet. However, in my situation the bladder was sitting on top of the chin strap. When I mentioned this to the owner (Al) of the Quiet Ride Muffs, he suggested me moving them and gave me instructions on how to do the operation. First, I went out and purchased stainless steel rivets, but that isn't necessary. I used stainless because it is exposed to the weather and I feel that stainless is stronger. When the cheek pad is removed, it exposes the inner helmet shell with the metal chin strap connector that would be under the ear muff. Al suggested that I grind off the rivet holding the metal connection and relocate the metal chin strap connection piece lower and forward of the original whole. I used a rotary tool to do this. With the metal chin strap connection piece removed from under the ear muff the ear muff will be about 1/4" closer to the helmet shell on each side.  This will give you another half inch distance between ear muffs.  This will make it more comfortable to take the helmet on and off. I used short 3/16" pop rivets to reinstall metal chin strap in new location. It was actually easy to do and only took about a half hour to do complete. I think I stressed way too much about this. If this is something that you are not comfortable with and you are worried about your helmet warranty or your safety, then I would pass on this part of the instructions. IMHO, after doing this project, I feel the strap is more secure than it was in the first place. The rivets I used were stronger than the original rivets, being that I used stainless. Also, with the original installation of the straps, the rivets didn't go all the way through the helmet, mine do. I believe that Shoei didn't want the rivets showing for appearance sake. I don't feel that take away from the look, though. If anyone wants pictures of the rivet installation, let me know. I know some of you may feel that this isn't worth it, but I would do over again heartbeat. As a matter of fact, when I purchase my next helmet, it will be the first thing I do, unless they are already installed.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 10:47:59 AM by scgoan »

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #54 on: April 05, 2014, 10:09:00 AM »
I have a very tight Shoei X-11 that I really like. I also have very large ears that I have to unfold every time I put on my helmet.

I can see that you would have to fold your ears, but what do you do with the horns?  Drill two holes in the top?

Offline scgoan

« Reply #55 on: April 05, 2014, 10:43:50 AM »
 ;D I just fold those down, too!