Author Topic: Bag liners  (Read 36057 times)

Taff

Re: Bag liners
« Reply #60 on: May 21, 2011, 10:09:36 PM »

If you start up a new thread about it I'll defiantly chime in and help where I can...  ;)

Sounds fun!  :thumbs:

Lets get a thread started.

Jon.

Offline booger

« Reply #61 on: July 04, 2011, 10:54:06 AM »
why not just take the whole bag off??  its not that hard to do nor is it a time consuming thing to do.  i dont understand the function of these liners......

I'm with you.  One of the reasons i bought a C-14 is the easily removable bags.

Try pulling the ones off of a Road King.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #62 on: July 04, 2011, 11:59:10 AM »
I'm with you.  One of the reasons i bought a C-14 is the easily removable bags.

There are a number of reasons one might want to use bag liners:

1) The luggage ("bags") are heavy
2) The luggage could get scratched or damaged during removal/installation/transport
3) If you have retainer clips or bars, it will take additional time to remove/install those
4) Having bag liners keeps loose stuff organized and upright
5) Bag liners can also make better use of the available space, since it is difficult to pack the luggage fully due to the half-open state (and trying to stop pinching, etc)
6) It *is* faster to open the luggage and grab a bag, and return it later.  Not tremendously faster, though.
7) Less wear on the retaining mechanisms (not that this is a big deal).

I can see a case (no pun intended) for taking the luggage on/off AND for using bag liners.  Both can be very useful.  I have done both and it just depends on the situation.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline MrFurious

« Reply #63 on: July 04, 2011, 02:07:24 PM »
I picked up a set of Cee Bailey's bag liners a couple weeks ago.  Haven't had a chance to use them yet, but I am (for the most part) very happy with them. 

The only letdown and thing I would change is the outside mesh pocket.  Rather than being one large pocket it should be 2 or 3 smaller pockets to better hold small common use items such as suntan lotion, bug spray, a first aid kit, passport, etc.  This would also address the issue of the net's pathetic excuse for an elastic band along the top of the mesh.  As is it's just not very handy or useful IMO, but that's easily fixed by sewing on a few lengths of 1/2" wide ballistic nylon strapping over the mesh to divide it into the desired smaller pockets.
Jim B.
COG #9642
2009 C14 - Black - Non-ABS
Insanity is not as easy as I make it look!

Offline booger

« Reply #64 on: July 04, 2011, 07:06:53 PM »
There are a number of reasons one might want to use bag liners:

1) The luggage ("bags") are heavy
2) The luggage could get scratched or damaged during removal/installation/transport
3) If you have retainer clips or bars, it will take additional time to remove/install those
4) Having bag liners keeps loose stuff organized and upright
5) Bag liners can also make better use of the available space, since it is difficult to pack the luggage fully due to the half-open state (and trying to stop pinching, etc)
6) It *is* faster to open the luggage and grab a bag, and return it later.  Not tremendously faster, though.
7) Less wear on the retaining mechanisms (not that this is a big deal).

I can see a case (no pun intended) for taking the luggage on/off AND for using bag liners.  Both can be very useful.  I have done both and it just depends on the situation.

Don't get me wrong.  If they weren't so expensive, I would probably buy liners.  I tried some non-specific bags and they just fit like crap.  I'll just keep carrying in the hard bags for now.

But as my tail pack is bolted on, I definately need a liner for it.

Offline palooka

« Reply #65 on: March 12, 2014, 11:11:22 AM »
Opening this thread again. Ordered and received RKA-Luggage liners for my kawasaki mostly so to fill that gap in the back in the panniers that they advertise.

Although it doesn't look like it, the liners are collapsible like the Kathy's. There's a plastic plate that is inserted in the bottom of the liner that maintains their shape. Overall though, no problem flattening them out.

$120 though is way expensive for a pair of bag liners.

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #66 on: March 12, 2014, 11:37:46 PM »
Don't get me wrong.  If they weren't so expensive, I would probably buy liners.  I tried some non-specific bags and they just fit like crap.  I'll just keep carrying in the hard bags for now.

But as my tail pack is bolted on, I definately need a liner for it.
Expensive??  How about $64 for two (both sides) and no tax and free shipping too.
http://tinyurl.com/p3byy5e
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline webnetxpress

« Reply #67 on: March 13, 2014, 01:57:35 AM »
Those (amazon ones) are the ones I bought.  I appreciate them on every trip.  It is much easier to pull up to the Marriott with the wife, open the panniers and grab some bags with shoulder straps and walk in.  Vs taking hard cases off and having to walk around with them.  We already look the part in our power ranger suits .... but the sort cases are a little less obnoxious.  Just my 2 pennies worth....

Offline Conrad

« Reply #68 on: March 13, 2014, 04:32:58 AM »
Expensive??  How about $64 for two (both sides) and no tax and free shipping too.
http://tinyurl.com/p3byy5e

Hey! Those are pretty nice! How come no one has brought these to our attention till now?
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #69 on: March 13, 2014, 07:29:56 AM »
I thought it I had already posted those here already. it must have been on the other forum.
Sorry about that.  When you get them they are even better than what you see in the pictures.
Very well made and they fit perfectly. A must have for that price.
Order these space bags and you can pack  organized and keep those dirty smelly clothes separate from the clean clothes
http://tinyurl.com/qjgca72
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #70 on: March 13, 2014, 05:15:59 PM »
Hey! Those are pretty nice! How come no one has brought these to our attention till now?

Proper link (can be hard getting a clean link on Amazon sometimes:  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001OBVAUI

I do remember these being posted before.  I am very tempted to buy them.  There is more space in the hard cases than is sometimes usable, because everything tends to fall out.  But the times I want to put my helmet in the hard cases, it barely fits (Scorpion EXO-1000).  I can't imagine it would fit inside that bag that then fits in the hard case.

I wish they had a photo of the logo- I like that it says "Concours 14", but I suspect it is just painted on, not embroidered... plus I can't make out the other logo at all.  Would be nicer if it said "KAWASAKI", but perhaps they were worried about trademark issues?
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline webnetxpress

« Reply #71 on: March 13, 2014, 06:23:09 PM »
The logo is embroidered on mine (they appear to be the same ones, and I did buy mine from Amazon about 8 months ago).

I doubt a helmet would fit in the bag and then in the case. 

One thing they don't mention, one of the cases has an internal pouch on the side, with a velcro seal.  It's quite handy for carrying papers or tools - i use it for tools on a trip, keeps it from getting in with the clothes and other stuff.  The other case does not have the pouch.  Both have the outside pouch/pocket that zippers shut.  both cases have the shoulder strap.

Wife and I are very happy with them so far.

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #72 on: March 14, 2014, 12:29:52 AM »
those seem to be the same bags I've got from a no-name vendor in the UK for 30 GBP, about 50 USD. Indeed, one of them has the inside pocket with velcro. You can stuff a million things inside knowing that it will fit in the hard cases on the bike afterwards. It really simplifies packing, and avoids having to carry those easy to scratch bags around the hotel and in the room, where the cleaning lady will scratch them with the vacuum cleaner  :'(
Very happy with them.
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #73 on: March 14, 2014, 05:44:30 AM »
Very happy with them.

Damnit.  I put them in my cart... will buy them the next "order round".

Offline Speedy

• 2012 Black Connie - Black is Beautiful!!
« Reply #74 on: March 14, 2014, 06:53:00 AM »
I too have the Bestem bag liners.  Also got one for my Givi top case.  Very nice bags for the money - $99 for all three.  One of their warehouses is here in Atlanta so I went by to pick them up to save the shipping cost.  Pretty typical warehouse with office...not much for walk in traffic...clearly the web is their primary source of customers.

Give 'em a try, you can't go wrong for less than $70.

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #75 on: March 14, 2014, 08:17:24 PM »
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001OBVAUI
Got these ordered just now based on what you guys posted. It's really a pain taking the saddlebags off the bike all loaded up and carrying up multiple flights of stairs and everything. This will make life much easier. Granted, I only use the saddlebags a few times a year, but it will make life easier those 3 times a year.
Scott
ZX-6D --> CBR600F3 --> TL1000R --> Concours 14
Mods: Two Bro's Titanium Slip-on, Shad SH46 trunk, PCA luggage rack, AeroFlow windscreen, Corbin saddles, Helibar risers, LED brake flashers, "divintymotor" (Ebay) LED tail light, ProjektD sidestand Bigfoot and Helmet locks, Vario Passenger pegs, Oxford Heaterz grips

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #76 on: March 14, 2014, 09:43:29 PM »
Got these ordered just now based on what you guys posted.

Well, since this thread is hot, I have watched the stock fall, so I ordered them too :)   Looks like I got the last set in stock.

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #77 on: March 25, 2014, 02:02:56 PM »
Got my bag liners last week. Took them outside to grab some pictures to share.

The bags are identical from the outside, include a shoulder strap for each and on the right is the stiffening rib that wraps from front to back on the bottom portion of each bag:

Detail showing the stitching:

What they look like:

The zippers have a nice quality to them:

One of the bags has a large inner pocket:

Inside of the same bag:

Image of the other bag before putting the stiffener in:

And the other internal side of the second bag (no stiffener yet):

I have not even tried putting them in the saddlebags yet as I don't use them very often, but I know will like using these instead of lugging both of the hard bags into a hotel room.
Scott
ZX-6D --> CBR600F3 --> TL1000R --> Concours 14
Mods: Two Bro's Titanium Slip-on, Shad SH46 trunk, PCA luggage rack, AeroFlow windscreen, Corbin saddles, Helibar risers, LED brake flashers, "divintymotor" (Ebay) LED tail light, ProjektD sidestand Bigfoot and Helmet locks, Vario Passenger pegs, Oxford Heaterz grips

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #78 on: March 25, 2014, 04:49:20 PM »
Got my bag liners last week. Took them outside to grab some pictures to share.

Thanks for the pics.  You beat me to it.

I have already used mine twice.  They do fit fine.  The shoulder strap is irritating to keep from being in the way of closing the hard cases.... I might just take them off and never use them.

Generally I am happy with them, although I do not like the zippers- they are simply too wimpy/small... combined with the extra (and unnecessary) weatherproofing, it makes opening and closing the bags difficult.  I have even had the teeth skip already.  Otherwise, they seem to be pretty good quality, especially for the money.

Offline petepro

« Reply #79 on: March 25, 2014, 05:58:52 PM »
When I bought my C14 I was planning on buying bag liners from RKA or the like.  I was getting ready to go on a trip and decided I wanted something quickly in the interim, so I went to Target and looked. Target has bags that fit almost perfectly for $10. I figured it would be worth it for $20 since I wouldn't be out much and planned on buying the "proper" bags when I git back. Well it's been almost a year and I'm still happily using the bags from Target. I still may get the RKAs but there is no pressing need now.

Pics and measurements?
2012 Concours 14abs - 2013 - Current
2002 BMW R1150R - 2012-2013
1995 Honda 750 Nighthawk - 2001-2009
1984 Suzuki GS1150ES - 1987