Author Topic: Stalling on right hand turns when not fully warm.  (Read 3201 times)

Offline Stephen.G.Fiddes

• They don't call me crash for nothing...
Stalling on right hand turns when not fully warm.
« on: May 31, 2014, 10:52:36 PM »
Thought It was weird, but didnt think much of it, read a couple posts about it, then read this

My small private street goes into busy road and you have to make sharp left or right turn to it usually pretty quick.

Today I pull up to the end of my road, look left, look right. No cars so I am ready to turn right, turn my handle bars slightly, give it little (not enough gas) and starting to release the clutch.... move about one foot and bike Stalled, momentum of the stalled engine jerked bike and since I was starting sharp right turn it just threw the bike on the right side. It happened so quick that I couldn't do anything to save it.

Has anyone else experienced this massive hesitation when the bike is not up to temp?

Ive been paying pretty close attention to it and it seems to only be right-hand turns, and its only the first right hand turn that it happens. 

My research on the other forum showed that clutch was the nature of one persons problems. (and I will say that my clutch doesnt feel super great in general, I dont think its a bleed issue tho... Admittadly, i havent bled the system since I bought it new 6 momths and 7000 miles ago) but i'm curious if this is a common thing or a select few, and if anyone has anymore thoughts.
2013 Kawasaki Concours 14 - CURRENT
2012 Yamaha V-Star 250 - WIFE'S
2006 Kawasaki Ninja 650R - SOLD
1982 Honda CM450E - SOLD

Offline jtk1531

Re: Stalling on right hand turns when not fully warm.
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2014, 02:47:42 AM »
if you think it's right-turn related:
with the engine started, you can try turning the handlebars lock to lock. if there's a drop or increase in revs just by turning the handle bars, you need to loosen one of the throttle cables.

i usually wait till there's 2 bars on the temp gauge before moving off. if not, there's just too much chance of stalling, especially during slow speed maneuvers.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2014, 05:27:34 AM »
What's the warm idle rpm?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2014, 05:36:36 AM »
Sounds like you need a bit more throttle.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2014, 05:51:57 AM »
Well, cutting off while making turns is usually a carb float issue on a car, however my bet is on throttle cables and the idle not being set correctly...
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Rembrant

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2014, 05:52:29 AM »

:goodpost:

Yup. Bump the idle up a bit and give her some more gas when pulling away.
“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.” ~ Winston Churchill.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2014, 06:11:09 AM »
This engine really likes to spin. Not like the old Road King which ran like a hit and miss pump motor. Right hand turns are typically tighter than lefties and the throttle hand is at a contrary angle when making a rightie. Might be the difference.

Offline aspire61

• 08 concours + 85 madura 1200
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2014, 08:41:59 PM »
This engine really likes to spin. Not like the old Road King which ran like a hit and miss pump motor. Right hand turns are typically tighter than lefties and the throttle hand is at a contrary angle when making a rightie. Might be the difference.

I think we have a winner, well done gpink!!
No mans opinion is entirely worthless- even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Offline Stephen.G.Fiddes

• They don't call me crash for nothing...
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2014, 07:32:51 AM »
I suppose I should clarify "right hand turns".  Any time the bike leans even a little towards the right, (if I'm making a left turn out of my driveway, I make a VERY slight right motion to get around a parked car, then into a sharper left turn).  If I do not do this pre-left turn right motion, it picks up and takes off like a bat out of hell like it should, then when I get to the intersection at the end of my street, if I'm turning right, it will hesitate on that first right turn.

if you think it's right-turn related:
with the engine started, you can try turning the handlebars lock to lock. if there's a drop or increase in revs just by turning the handle bars, you need to loosen one of the throttle cables.

i usually wait till there's 2 bars on the temp gauge before moving off. if not, there's just too much chance of stalling, especially during slow speed maneuvers.

There's no change in the idle by turning the bars.

Even if I'm giving a good amount of throttle this will happen. The first time it happened, it hesitated like a mofo, on what I was expecting to be a smooth, decently fast turn out of my driveway, even after warming up a bit (at least 2 bars is what I go for, usually 3).  Almost dumped it.

about 1,200 RPM

Well, cutting off while making turns is usually a carb float issue on a car, however my bet is on throttle cables and the idle not being set correctly...

It's almost like the bike is forgetting that it's an inanimate object. It sit's there bored out of it's mind all night, has a hard time getting out of bed, and is slow to respond to the throttle and fire the injectors in it's groggy state lol.  Does my bike need coffee like I do in the morning?!  :o

Not that you mention carbs, It's exactly the response a carb'd bike gives when the engine is COLD (within a few seconds of starting) and not choked enough. Twist the throttle, and it hesitates and dies.

I tried bumping the warm idle up to around 13-1400, but all that did for the situation was make it sound like I was going a bazillion MPH while sitting there (Heyy ladies... ;))  Still has that slight initial hesitation, unless the engine is 100% warmed up.    What I find odd, is it doesn't hesitate after I've been riding for a few minutes, so if the hot-o-meter goes down because I'm riding in 20* weather, still no hesitation.  Just that inital bit. I'll have to see if I can catch it on video.  (happens often enough that shouldn't be too hard...)
2013 Kawasaki Concours 14 - CURRENT
2012 Yamaha V-Star 250 - WIFE'S
2006 Kawasaki Ninja 650R - SOLD
1982 Honda CM450E - SOLD

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2014, 08:27:00 AM »
Lately I've noticed some hesitation if I take off within 10 seconds of starting. But turning doesn't seem to have anything to do with it. This never happened before but I think the difference is that I moved from a house with a garage to a temporary apartment. When in the garage, I would start the bike, then back out. This would take the 10 seconds or so. Now in the morning I hop on the bike and it's already pointed out so I can just go.

Offline SeattleDude

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2014, 09:50:09 PM »
I was surprised when this happen to me. It just stalled and went down since handle bars were turned right somewhat.

My idle is set at 1250rpm. I notice that this bike likes some throttle on take off. But that stall was so sudden, it sounded like it would go... and than BAM died.