Author Topic: how did I survive without TPMS?  (Read 3723 times)

Offline twowheeladdict

how did I survive without TPMS?
« on: June 03, 2014, 10:05:59 AM »
58 miles from home at the end of a 4000 mile tour, the low pressure warning comes on at 29 psi.  Steadily dropping, but gave me time to get to the shoulder and pull into a business.  Now waiting on my ROK roadside assistance to take me the rest of the way home.

Can't find anything puncturing the tire so I can't even use my plug kit. 

Thank you Kawasaki for putting TPMS on this bike.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: how did I survive without TPMS?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2014, 04:24:06 PM »
Thank you Kawasaki for putting TPMS on this bike.

Indeed!
But next time, please put in a battery that lasts 10 years or that can be replaced easily without messing with the tire :)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline mikeboileau

• Arena
  • It ain't easy bein cheesy....
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2014, 04:55:08 PM »
Indeed!
But next time, please put in a battery that lasts 10 years or that can be replaced easily without messing with the tire :)

^^This^^

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2014, 05:11:51 PM »
Pulled the tire and found a slice.  Bummer. 

When I was a teenager and spent most of my riding at 35 mph or cruising Daytona Beach at 10 mph, I would have just slapped a patch on the inside and called it a day.

Thinking about replacing with the Avon Storm Ultra because they supposedly have a manufacturer's road hazard warranty.  Need to do some research.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2014, 05:42:46 PM »
Pulled the tire and found a slice.  Bummer.  When I was a teenager and spent most of my riding at 35 mph or cruising Daytona Beach at 10 mph, I would have just slapped a patch on the inside and called it a day.

Thinking about replacing with the Avon Storm Ultra because they supposedly have a manufacturer's road hazard warranty.  Need to do some research.

This has likely been discussed ad-nausea before in the past on many boards, but I believe with a small gash like that, and not in the sidewall, a quality INSIDE patch should be 100% safe and last the life of the tire.

Now, if the tread were low, or you had to replace the TPMS battery or sensor anyway, it might not be worth the money/time to patch it rather than replace it.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2014, 07:06:00 PM »
Fortunately, it cost me $5 to swap out a tire.  I'll have to look at the inside and see what damage there may be.  I am hesitant to do a patch on such a high speed bike though.
My Concours Travels:

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2014, 07:24:50 PM »
Just because it's there doesn't mean you have to use it.  8)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2014, 08:10:17 PM »
Yes it does..
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline cmoore

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2014, 05:33:06 AM »
I had a new Avon replaced under that warranty once. Just hang on to all of the receipts. It was pretty smooth. They shipped the new tire to the shop where I had it installed. They wanted the old one back.
2010 C14
Dallas, Texas

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2014, 06:57:16 AM »
Pulled the tire and found a slice.  Bummer. 

When I was a teenager and spent most of my riding at 35 mph or cruising Daytona Beach at 10 mph, I would have just slapped a patch on the inside and called it a day.

Not here to bash any product but I thought this might be useful info:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=636925

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17223.0

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2014, 10:57:09 AM »
Well,  I had a multi step patch applied to the inside of the tire.  Cost me $5 and $2 to the tire guy.  I will only ride it locally for a while and see how it does.  Starting to get too hot to ride the Concours anyway.  Time for the Versys to get some miles put on it.
My Concours Travels: