Author Topic: Well, the bike's in the shop for some maintenance.  (Read 8991 times)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Well, the bike's in the shop for some maintenance.
« on: July 08, 2013, 05:13:24 AM »
Took it in Saturday for a valve check, throttle body sync, plug change, and brake recall.  Seems to be a really decent tech working there (Village Motorsports near Orange VA).  They're going to start working on it today.  The tech asked about a coolant change and what was in it currently.  The choices were green and blue, where blue was the long life version (5 years he said).  I said it had blue in it.   Thinking about that answer over the weekend I realized that the blue color was the container (Honda) not the coolant color  :doh: .  I just went outside and checked.  I think I'll get them to do that as well since it is due for it.  I'll keep ya'll informed of the progress.  They do seem to be on the ball as they actually remembered what I told them the previous week and actually ordered the brake recall parts beforehand without having to leave the bike there.

http://www.villagemotorsportsva.com/
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

Re: Well, the bike's in the shop for some maintenance.
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2013, 05:21:06 AM »
Did they give you an estimate for all that work?
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2013, 05:27:06 AM »
Nope.  It needs doing so I'm prepared for it.....I think.  They'll probably give me a call this morning with the estimate, though.  That's what they've done in the past.  I'm not going to go into the top end of the bike so someone has to do it.  I'm still recovering from pulling something in my back last Thursday so I'm not even thinking about doing it myself.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2013, 08:21:07 AM »
Is the shop going to give you numbers on the valve specs or just tell you they're ok?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2013, 08:42:46 AM »
I believe that they gave me the specs the last time I had it checked there which was around 18k or so.  The way I look at it, they do or say they did the work and the engine grenades, then I have something to go back to.  I also have the extended extended warranty.  I'm not worried about it.  I'm not interested in creating a maintenance saga of trying to do this myself.  I just don't have the time or the wherewithal to do this kind of work.  I could do the coolant but they're already going to have the bike apart so they may as well do it.  I like this dealer and I want to keep them in business using good techs.

Offline Jim M.

• 2008 C-14
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2013, 08:46:43 AM »
Great family business at Village Motorsports! I haven't had any work done yet, but everyone there is very nice and helpful. I was very impressed when my wife was looking for riding gear. The lady there took her time explaining all the features and making sure everything fit properly. Nice folks!

Offline speed545

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2013, 07:02:14 PM »
great to have a good dealer around. Brought mine to the dealer for the first time since I own the bike for a valve check, plugs replacement and TB sync.

I was surprised that at 25K, all valves were within specs. Also surprised that each plug cost me 18$  :(

Not to bad after all that I had to pay 350$ for service at a dealer in 4 years.

Good to go for a while
08, Concours 14
Montreal Fire Dept

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2013, 09:54:29 PM »
Hope they do you right Jim, sounds very likely that they will.  8)
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2013, 11:15:36 AM »
They're buttoning it up now.  Just got the call.  Said the valves were ok and will be including the clearances in with the bill.  Throttle bodies were just a little out (said it was a PITA).  Plugs had some black carbon build up (said I wasn't riding it hard enough  :'( ).  I'll remedy that in short order.  Haven't been able to ride it as much as I'm used to doing as my workload has increased.  Got something to do every weekend.  They installed 5 year long life coolant as well.  I'll have a look at the plugs when I pick it up on Monday.  Can't get to it until then.  They were amazed that the valves didn't need doing.  So it's gone about 55k without needing shims.  I really like this tech as he takes time to explain everything and calls you directly.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2013, 12:03:46 PM »
They're buttoning it up now.  Just got the call.  Said the valves were ok and will be including the clearances in with the bill.  Throttle bodies were just a little out (said it was a PITA).  Plugs had some black carbon build up (said I wasn't riding it hard enough  :'( ).  I'll remedy that in short order.  Haven't been able to ride it as much as I'm used to doing as my workload has increased.  Got something to do every weekend.  They installed 5 year long life coolant as well.  I'll have a look at the plugs when I pick it up on Monday.  Can't get to it until then.  They were amazed that the valves didn't need doing.  So it's gone about 55k without needing shims.  I really like this tech as he takes time to explain everything and calls you directly.

:thumbs:

When I was getting my new rear tire put on last week I was chatting with the lead tech while he worked on my tire (usually they kick me out of the work area). I asked him about the valves on mine and he said not to bother brining it in till I have at least 55k on the odo. He said that he's not going to take my money for something I don't need.  :o

I really like that guy. He's been riding a new C14 for the last 4 years but now he's on a brand new ZX10r. He said that it's part of the deal he has with the dealership, he gets a brand new bike every year.   :)

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Barry

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2013, 08:25:09 AM »
FWIW, I have two friends that have purchased  bikes at Village, and the sales aspect has gone extemely smooth.

One of my buddies  has been taking bikes to Village for some time, and he's never had an issue with the service department, and he is very particular in how he is treated as a customer.  Tell me what it will cost, when things will happen, etc.  So they have been very communicative with him and done very good work for him on at least two bikes.

Barry
Tail of the Dragon at Deal's Gap... Avoid it now, do a trackday.

Area P full exhaust, PC-V, Autotune, filter, flys out.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2013, 02:24:58 PM »
My bill came to 600 something but I had more work done than just looking at the valve clearances.  I was expecting a grand or so.  I'm picking it up Monday afternoon, hopefully.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2013, 02:27:16 PM »
Good deal Jim!!!!  :thumbs:
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2013, 04:10:21 PM »
My bill came to 600 something but I had more work done than just looking at the valve clearances.  I was expecting a grand or so.  I'm picking it up Monday afternoon, hopefully.

And it STILL won't have the Canyons mounted...
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2013, 04:17:20 PM »
WoW! A bike shop open on a Monday!

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2013, 04:21:56 PM »
Open on Saturday as well.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2013, 05:30:42 PM »
Open on Saturday as well. 

Ignoring me doesn't protect your bike any better  :)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2013, 06:32:02 PM »
 :rotflmao: :chugbeer:   Sure it does...   Well that gave me a good laugh.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2013, 08:28:20 PM »

It's always worked for me.  ;) ;D

Offline Conrad

« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2013, 06:18:43 AM »

:rotflmao: :chugbeer:   Sure it does...   Well that gave me a good laugh.

:rotflmao:

Me too!

I thought that you were gonna get them cages installed when this work was done Jim? You are REALLY tempting fate now!