Author Topic: Another Oil thread...  (Read 16529 times)

Offline wildnphx

• Arena
Another Oil thread...
« on: July 08, 2012, 10:25:34 AM »
Ok go ahead and blast me for started a dreaded oil thread but I want to know what others opinions are...

I have been using Mobil 1 syn and see people talk about Rotella or Delvac...  Is this ok to use or am I putting my Motor at risk by trying to save a few bucks per oil change? 

[/url]http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mobil-1-Delvac-15W-40-Heavy-Duty-Diesel-Oil-1gal/17034368[url]

I ride hard and Redline often so I don't want to sacrifice protection in the name of saving a few bucks so what do you think? Is it safe to run Rotella or Delvac or should I stay with Mobil 1?

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
Re: Another Oil thread...
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2012, 11:20:39 AM »
Do a bit of research on the subject, and if many many folks are running Rotella and Delvac in their bikes "me included", shouldn't that answer your question? ;)
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2012, 11:24:49 AM »
Yeah, right....

I'm using Kwak 10w40.  Came off Mobil1.  I won't be running Kwak again.  Shifting isn't near as good as the Mobil1.  Going back to Mobil1 next change.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline TJ

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2012, 11:26:38 AM »
Although I have not yet changed the oil in my new Concours, for the last 12 years or so I have only used Delvac in our bikes and been very happy with it.
2012 Black Kawasaki Concours

Offline wildnphx

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2012, 02:24:11 PM »
Do a bit of research on the subject, and if many many folks are running Rotella and Delvac in their bikes "me included", shouldn't that answer your question? ;)

Well not really because it appears as though at least one out of the 3 responses thus far would prefer Mobil 1 and I am not aware how these people who run Rotella or Delvac use there bike... Do they ride like a a little old lady and shift always under 4k and never exceed posted speed limit?  or do they take it to the track and run the quarter mile or do track days?  Do they only ride when temp is between 60 degrees and 70 degrees or do they ride 256 days a year regardless of temps or ride when it is 115 degrees out like I do?

So thanks for your response but no just because many folks use it does not answer my question on if I should or should not use it.

So since you use it and swear by it please tell me what type of rider you are and what types of conditions your ride in?  I'm not knocking anyones type of riding or preferences I would just like to know if the people who use this oil really are using 80% and up of the bikes potential and or riding in extreme conditions.  That will help me to make my decision.

Thanks

Offline Cuda

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2012, 04:14:30 PM »
Why would anyone try to save money on 5 qts of oil??
I guess If you smoke your need to save money somewhere. :-\ ::) ::)
I've been a fan of Mobil 1 since 1977 .
I had a old 1990 350 Chevy 4x4 pick up  that I kept around for a spare , hated to part with the old girl because it still ran great,  it did not get much use, Well I put that cheap Sams oil in it for two changes , the third change I noticed SLUDGE build up inside the valve cover and it started ticking a little , Rotella , Marvel mystery oil and I sold it, never again save money on oil. 
Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2012, 04:24:39 PM »
Well not really because it appears as though at least one out of the 3 responses thus far would prefer Mobil 1 and I am not aware how these people who run Rotella or Delvac use there bike... Do they ride like a a little old lady and shift always under 4k and never exceed posted speed limit?  or do they take it to the track and run the quarter mile or do track days?  Do they only ride when temp is between 60 degrees and 70 degrees or do they ride 256 days a year regardless of temps or ride when it is 115 degrees out like I do?

Oh, I think Mr. Poke rides somewhere between little old lady and MotoGP rider.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2012, 04:32:34 PM »
Rotella for me all the time (T6). I run 25 degrees to 108 degrees. I hit triple digits every ride atleast for a few minutes. It's my therapy. I put 44,000 miles on my first C-14 and 29,000 miles on my current C-14. Both have run flawlessly. TPS, Tires, Brakes, and Oil.
Go go go! I used Mobil 1 4T in my Triumph. And blew a lot of extra money on it.
Joel from Maine.

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2012, 05:12:18 PM »
ST1300 guys swear by the Rotella over there on their board.

Offline rcannon409

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2012, 05:46:41 PM »
My bikes dont shift right using rotella. I've tried it in a yz 250, sv650, kx125, c 14, cr85 and several others. Bad, notch shifting.  It probably great oil, but I cannot use it.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2012, 07:22:06 PM »
Not sure which Rotella you guys are talking about here- Rotella is a family of fleet oils from Shell oil co. The synthetic is 5W-40 weight and my C-14 does not shift or clutch well with that oil either but it performs very well with Rotella 15W-40 which is a mineral oil (not synthetic). There are also straight- weight oils in the Rotella brand although I have never tried them. Whatever Shell changed from the older type synthetic Rotella (5W-40 T5 (old) vs. 5W-40 T6 (new type)) made a big difference because the old formulation worked well but the new stuff just does not.

I am currently using Delvac 15W-40 mineral oil (Mobil fleet oil) with good success. The bike shifts and clutches well with it and it is just now getting a touch notchy shifting with about 3,800 miles on that batch of oil. I think with mixed with a quart of Pennzoil 10W-40 and an ounce of cam break- in lube (basically ZDDP suspended in an oil media) I think it might be a great oil for heavy road bikes like the C-14.

Brian

My bikes dont shift right using rotella. I've tried it in a yz 250, sv650, kx125, c 14, cr85 and several others. Bad, notch shifting.  It probably great oil, but I cannot use it.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Pokey

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2012, 07:49:41 PM »

So thanks for your response but no just because many folks use it does not answer my question on if I should or should not use it.

So since you use it and swear by it please tell me what type of rider you are and what types of conditions your ride in?  I'm not knocking anyones type of riding or preferences I would just like to know if the people who use this oil really are using 80% and up of the bikes potential and or riding in extreme conditions.  That will help me to make my decision.

Thanks

Motorcyclists have been running the diesel fleet oils for "years", and there is a TON of information and facts/results all over the web and forums. I have run the 5W40 Rotella and 15W40 in every bike I have ever owned, but like BDF mentioned I feel the good ole 15W40 dino gives the best results. I tend to mix oils allot, I run half Rotella and half Castrol RS4 20W50 all year round in the C14. I run 15W40 Rotella in my WR and I can tell you that probably the most popular oils for dirtbikes is the Rotella line. Keep paying for the Mobil 1 if ya need that peace of mind, but peace of mind is about the extent of it. ;)  Think about this for a second.........do you think that a semi, tractor, bulldozer, crane etc....is going to have less engine stress than a motorcycle? Blah blah blah about special additives in motorcycle oils, the fleet oils are on par with the special additives for less money.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2012, 09:22:45 PM »
Great oil thread.

Pokey!  I thought you ONLY used Amsoil for all your auto, bikes, boats, and lawn product needs!?

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Pokey

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2012, 10:05:56 AM »
Great oil thread.

Pokey!  I thought you ONLY used Amsoil for all your auto, bikes, boats, and lawn product needs!?

No Scamsoil for me my friend. 8)
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2012, 10:37:50 AM »
I also had notchy shifting when I used the 5w-40 T6, but since I have switched to 15w-40 Rotella I have had ZERO problems with how the shifter feels.  $13 per gallon, I can't argue with it. 
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline okxd45

« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2012, 11:09:09 AM »
I think with mixed with a quart of Pennzoil 10W-40 and an ounce of cam break- in lube (basically ZDDP suspended in an oil media) I think it might be a great oil for heavy road bikes like the C-14.

Brian

Hey Brain, what brand of cam break-in do you use and where do you find it?  Beginning to think it might not be legal in PA since I haven't been able to find any.... :-\
Jeff
"Look like the innocent flower, but be the serpent under 't." Macbeth Quote (Act I, Scene V).
"I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. Therefore be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves." (Matthew 10:16 NIV)

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2012, 11:51:25 AM »
Hey Brain, what brand of cam break-in do you use and where do you find it?  Beginning to think it might not be legal in PA since I haven't been able to find any.... :-\

If you have a high performance engine builder around they might have some in stock.  Other than that it is hard to find unless you pick some up on the internet.

http://autoplicity.com/products/321243-Comp_Cams_159_comp_cams_engine_breakin_oil_additive.aspx?utm_source=GoogleShopping&utm_medium=CSE&utm_content=321243NOFITMENT&utm_campaign=GSNOFITMENT
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2012, 04:05:20 PM »
I don't want to mention a brand 'cause I don't want to have people think I am suggesting anyone use anything other than straight motor oil. If you want to increase the content of ZDDP in motor oil, the easiest way is to buy a flat tappet cam break in oil additive. Companies such as Summit Racing sell them and the shipping is very reasonable. I typically use break- in lube itself, not an actual oil, but I am careful to avoid any of the break- in pastes as they are mostly moly lube which <may> be hard on wet clutches.

ZDDP is not illegal in any quantity in motor oil, anywhere that I know of but motor oil suppliers have reduced the content of zinc in motor oil because it is thought that zinc may coat catalytic converters used behind badly worn engines (with excessive oil consumption). The zinc content used to be between 1,200 PPM and 1,800 PPM but the new target seems to be 800 PPM. It is difficult to find out how much of the various additives are in each motor oil as the mfg. does not normally let that information out. I was told the other day that of the fleet diesel oils (Rotella, Delvac and Delo), Delo still has more than 1,200 PPM zinc content but I do not know if that is correct or not. Of course anyone could have an oil analyzed but I find it easier and cheaper to increase the zinc content than it is to actually find out what the base oil starts out containing.

In the end I believe that the currently available motor oils are perfectly fine for any conventional engine use simply because we are not seeing a rash of seized engines or galled camshafts; if the oil really were not up to the task we should be hearing of more engine failures, a number that would seem to be seriously close to zero in reality.

Brian

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline scooter

« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2012, 06:25:08 PM »
gotta love a oil thread. im just not sure why you would want to run bulldozer oil in your motorcycle.whats wrong with a good quality motorcycle oil? mobile one , amsoil, kawi oil.i dont see the advantage of mixing oil either 10w40 with 20w 50 or 10w 30 whats up with that oil does not mix so who knows what you end up with.besides the different brands.why not run the weight of oil the factory calls for? and change it often.i dont think the money you save trying different oil is saving you that much money

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2012, 07:01:25 PM »
gotta love a oil thread. im just not sure why you would want to run bulldozer oil in your motorcycle.whats wrong with a good quality motorcycle oil?

What's wrong with quality motorcycle oil? Nothing but the generally outrageous price tag hung on the bottle if for no other reason than to extract more money out of your pocket and into the pockets of those hawking the "motorcycle" oil as vastly superior to automotive oil.

Why would you want to run bulldozer oil in your motorcycle? Because spec sheets don't lie.... Compare the spec sheet of Heavy Duty Diesel Engine Oil and you will find that they have more of the additives that keep oil cleaner longer just as they have more of the VI additives that keep the oil from breaking down due to shearing. And all this without having near the crazy price tag hung on motorcycle oils.
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010