Author Topic: Keypass dies on trip  (Read 29518 times)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Re: Keypass dies on trip
« Reply #80 on: August 13, 2014, 06:51:49 PM »
WOW! Now I have a mental image I cannot shake.  :yikes:

Brian

<snip>

....You don't want wet/sticky lube hanging around in there and building up and gathering gunk.  Blech
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #81 on: August 13, 2014, 07:02:43 PM »
WOW! Now I have a mental image I cannot shake.  :yikes:

Brian
....but shaking may be the only way to get the gunk off.

Offline tomp

« Reply #82 on: August 13, 2014, 10:23:51 PM »
Careful now, someone may start discussing quantum mechanics...
Curious, I always heard that WD40 was designed to be a water displacer for electronic circuits and contacts, not a lube, and wasn't suppose to attract or hold gunk.  (Suppose to be good for arthritis, too.)   

Here's what The MSDS sheet states as ingredients...  does have up to 25% petroleum base oil, though....

Composition/Information on Ingredients for WD40

Ingredient CAS # Weight Percent

Aliphatic Hydrocarbon 64742-47-8         45-50%

Petroleum Base Oil
64742-58-1
64742-53-6
64742-56-9
64742-65-0                                        total <25%

LVP Aliphatic Hydrocarbon 64742-47-8     12-18%

Carbon Dioxide 124-38-9                          2-3%

Non-Hazardous Ingredients Mixture          <10%

Found that it can be sprayed on oil stains on concrete, and will remove the oil, and leave no residue behind.  Use it for this after O/F changes, cause I'm rather sloppy... tp

Living in the Texas Coast...

Offline Conrad

« Reply #83 on: August 14, 2014, 05:08:23 AM »
Careful now, someone may start discussing quantum mechanics...
Curious, I always heard that WD40 was designed to be a water displacer for electronic circuits and contacts, not a lube, and wasn't suppose to attract or hold gunk.  (Suppose to be good for arthritis, too.)   

Here's what The MSDS sheet states as ingredients...  does have up to 25% petroleum base oil, though....

Composition/Information on Ingredients for WD40

Ingredient CAS # Weight Percent

Aliphatic Hydrocarbon 64742-47-8         45-50%

Petroleum Base Oil
64742-58-1
64742-53-6
64742-56-9
64742-65-0                                        total <25%

LVP Aliphatic Hydrocarbon 64742-47-8     12-18%

Carbon Dioxide 124-38-9                          2-3%

Non-Hazardous Ingredients Mixture          <10%

Found that it can be sprayed on oil stains on concrete, and will remove the oil, and leave no residue behind.  Use it for this after O/F changes, cause I'm rather sloppy... tp

But, but, but...

Where does the oil residue go?    ;)
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #84 on: August 14, 2014, 06:13:34 AM »
Well, according to QM, things appear and disappear all the time..... in a very random fashion. So I assume the oil disappears.... while you are looking for it.

:rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Brian

But, but, but...

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #85 on: August 14, 2014, 06:15:44 AM »
Well, according to QM, things appear and disappear all the time..... in a very random fashion. So I assume the oil disappears.... while you are looking for it.

Brian
Does it actually lose mass or does it phase change into an alternate universe?

Offline tomp

« Reply #86 on: August 14, 2014, 06:19:09 AM »
But, but, but...

I have wondered that myself, but have been using it for years for oil clean up and there is no "left behind evidence" on the garage floor.  I guess it's a bloody miracle.  Thanks Brian, I knew that I could count on your QM expertise. tomp  ;D ;D

BTW, When I got my 08, the key knob(?) was difficult to remove, so I sprayed the key way with WD40, and it became easy to remove. Have I erred in a major way?  Will the system self destruct in the next five seconds, or am I hopefully ok for the next decade??? tp
Living in the Texas Coast...

Offline PH14

« Reply #87 on: August 14, 2014, 09:31:59 AM »

Remember when the ad said 'A day without orange juice is like a day without sunshine'.? What they really meant is that a day without KiPass isn't worth living....

Brian

:cannon: :rotflmao:

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #88 on: August 14, 2014, 09:58:11 AM »
I have wondered that myself, but have been using it for years for oil clean up and there is no "left behind evidence" on the garage floor.  I guess it's a bloody miracle.  Thanks Brian, I knew that I could count on your QM expertise. tomp  ;D ;D

BTW, When I got my 08, the key knob(?) was difficult to remove, so I sprayed the key way with WD40, and it became easy to remove. Have I erred in a major way?  Will the system self destruct in the next five seconds, or am I hopefully ok for the next decade??? tp

I think it will take more than 5 seconds and you'll be fine until you're not.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline PH14

« Reply #89 on: August 14, 2014, 03:13:41 PM »

I have always just used graphite on mine and all the locks work well. Graphite is what is recommended for locks.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #90 on: August 14, 2014, 03:24:50 PM »
Curious, I always heard that WD40 was designed to be a water displacer for electronic circuits and contacts, not a lube, and wasn't suppose to attract or hold gunk.

WD40 contains oil and anything that is oily in an open environment *will* leave a residue and *will* allow dirt, dust, etc to accumulate.  This is not good for very small mechanical pieces like locks.  Ask any locksmith what to spray into locks.  I would be very surprised if any recommend WD40.  They will likely all point you to graphic power or spray, or teflon power or spray.

BTW, When I got my 08, the key knob(?) was difficult to remove, so I sprayed the key way with WD40, and it became easy to remove.

Had you sprayed water, hairspray, alcohol, urine, or motor oil in it, it likely also would have been easy to remove (for a while, anyway).  :)

Have I erred in a major way?  Will the system self destruct in the next five seconds, or am I hopefully ok for the next decade??? tp

Major error?  No.  OK for a decade?  Like most things, it "depends".   How often is the lube used?  How much was used during each application?  In what exact environment is the lock all the time?  How often is the lock used?  It is not a case of "your lock will explode or seize in 1 year" but more of a "dry lubricants such as graphite and teflon are designed for delicate mechanical components such as locks and in the long term will perform better, prevent wear better, and have a much lower risk of component failure due to gunk/buildup or wear".  There are worse things for locks than WD40... but there are better things too.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Rembrant

• Arena
« Reply #91 on: August 14, 2014, 05:21:04 PM »
WD-40 is a farce anyway...lol. I keep a small can around for removing the sticky residue left behind when decals and stickers are removed from something...anything. I've never really seen much other use for the stuff.
Actually...I don't really believe in "Penetrating Oils" anyway...at least not how they're advertised. I've been working on some of the worst worn out and rusty junk in the industrial, automotive and motorcycle world for over 20 years now, and I've never seen any brand of penetrating oil actually "penetrate" anything...lol.

If I'm going to lubricate a lock, I use a rust protectant spray....the stuff this fizzes and bubbles. It works. Does it leave a residue? Yup, but the lubrication stays put. I wouldn't worry about dirt so much, unless you're a very dusty environment. I just had to do the key holes for the trunks on both of our cars...both locks were seized.

That's cars though...exposed to heavy salt and road grime for months on end. I can't remember the last time I lubricated a motorcycle lock/tumbler. If I have, it's been a long time. If a C14 ignition key is difficult to remove, I'd check and make sure that it wasn't bent....even bent just a hair, and they'll be tough to move. Lubrication makes them easy to remove again...but it doesn't fix the root cause.

“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.” ~ Winston Churchill.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #92 on: August 14, 2014, 06:21:03 PM »
'I don't really believe in "Penetrating Oils" anyway'

This is one I like...

http://www.kanolabs.com/

Offline Rembrant

• Arena
« Reply #93 on: August 14, 2014, 06:35:28 PM »
'I don't really believe in "Penetrating Oils" anyway'

This is one I like...

http://www.kanolabs.com/

Well there ya go...I likely don't have access to it up here in Canuckistan...lol.

I really have to rely on what's available at the local shops. Every time I hear about or read online about a product that actually "works", it's not available here...lol. Heck...even Seafoam only arrived a couple years ago, and everybody thinks it's "new"...lol.

Hey, but we have good pills Gary...lol.
I have a few American work associates that travel up here occasionally, and they always stock up on our over the counter Codeine...lol. They say they can't get that stuff so easy back home. Soon as the pick up the rental at the airport, it's off to the pharmacy...lol.

Rem 8)
“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.” ~ Winston Churchill.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #94 on: August 14, 2014, 06:40:44 PM »
 :rotflmao: :thumbs:

Here you go... http://www.4gt.ca/kano-laboratories/
Here's one closer to home.... https://www.motionindustries.com/motion3/jsp/mii/productCatalogSearch.jsp?q=kano

•NS01 - MOTION CANADA
50 AKERLEY BLVD. UNIT 4
DARTMOUTH, NS B3B 1R8
Phone: (902) 468-3231
Fax: (902) 468-2195
dale.mitton@motioncanada.com

•NS02 - MOTION CANADA
77 PARK STREET
NEW GLASGOW, NS B2H 5B7
Phone: (902) 755-3540
Fax: (902) 755-3520
robert.fredericks@motioncanada.com

Offline Conrad

« Reply #95 on: August 15, 2014, 05:06:03 AM »

Brian

Does it actually lose mass or does it phase change into an alternate universe?

This reminds me of something...

Careful now, you remember what happened to Jack Black and all the dog doo?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpads8s5mik
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn