Author Topic: Battery, something else?  (Read 2311 times)

Offline WarEagleAlways2021

Battery, something else?
« on: March 16, 2022, 11:10:05 AM »
Hey-
I got my latest 2015 C14 in Sept.  Rode it from Denver to Wichita and next morning it would not crank.  Low Battery warning.  Replaced battery.  Been riding when I can.  We have a community garage here, so they will not allow me to use a battery tender.  Went a few weeks and went to ride two days ago.  Low Battery, jumped off, rode the bike on the interstate for an hour.  Got home, tried to crank- Low Battery warning.  Took the battery to AutoZone and they said it shows GOOD and just needs charging.  Charge it up? Replace battery? Alternator?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Battery, something else?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2022, 01:17:57 PM »
Make sure all the connections are clean.  Brush them with a wire brush even if they look ok.  Then tighten all of them up.  Get a good battery charger that differentiates between types of batteries.  I use a Noco Genius 2 and have mine set to AGM.  If yours is normal it needs to be set to normal lead acid.  Also when the bike is running check the charge rate.  Should be 14 something.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2022, 01:31:43 PM »
Make sure all the connections are clean.  Brush them with a wire brush even if they look ok.  Then tighten all of them up.  Get a good battery charger that differentiates between types of batteries.  I use a Noco Genius 2 and have mine set to AGM.  If yours is normal it needs to be set to normal lead acid.  Also when the bike is running check the charge rate.  Should be 14 something.

Hey- thanks! Will do.  I believe AutoZone put it on a charger, but I bet it's a trickle charger.  Will look into getting a Noco myself. Will check off all the boxes and clean up all the terminals.  Visually looked clean, but will give everything a scuff.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2022, 03:48:42 PM »
Hey- thanks! Will do.  I believe AutoZone put it on a charger, but I bet it's a trickle charger.  Will look into getting a Noco myself. Will check off all the boxes and clean up all the terminals.  Visually looked clean, but will give everything a scuff.

Check (clean/tighten) the main frame grounds also.  They are right near the battery compartment.  The C14 is very picky about poor power connections.  Also, if the garage is lit, you might be able to use a solar trickle charger, although it would be kinda theftable.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2022, 06:18:16 AM »
As is most modern MCs these days....
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2022, 09:53:00 AM »
Thanks guys! Cleaned everything. So far so good.  Will see how it goes today and tomorrow when I get it out.
Appreciate the 2 cents!  Anyone know if there are any other members in the Wichita area? We are new here.

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2022, 09:59:08 AM »
Check (clean/tighten) the main frame grounds also.  They are right near the battery compartment.  The C14 is very picky about poor power connections.  Also, if the garage is lit, you might be able to use a solar trickle charger, although it would be kinda theftable.

I went to the office and pleaded my case.  It's very dark in the garages- VERY.  They have a power outlet at each end near the garage doors and I asked if I could just park up against the wall by the door and keep the bike plugged in there.  Without hesitation I was told no one can use the outlets.  So, I gotta find a day every week to get the bike out and just get it charged up.  I got it for work commuting as I go 55 miles each way, but not in some of the weather here.  Just gonna have to be strategic, I suppose.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2022, 03:09:34 PM »
I went to the office and pleaded my case.  It's very dark in the garages- VERY.  They have a power outlet at each end near the garage doors and I asked if I could just park up against the wall by the door and keep the bike plugged in there.  Without hesitation I was told no one can use the outlets.  So, I gotta find a day every week to get the bike out and just get it charged up.  I got it for work commuting as I go 55 miles each way, but not in some of the weather here.  Just gonna have to be strategic, I suppose.

You could get one of those lithium battery box 12 v things and perhaps attach that to a port to charge it every now and then, even if you don't ride it.  Again, possible theft issue, but with long cords you could lock it in the pannier while it is attached...
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2022, 03:20:02 AM »
The battery should not be going flat when parked up for a few weeks. It sounds like you have a parasitic drain. Someone may have fitted one of those tracker modules or something similar, and that is draining the battery. You can test yourself if you have a multimeter, or find a competent motorcycle mechanic and get them to look it over.
My C14 draws around 0.4mA after switching off the ignition and I would imagine most of that is running the flashing red LED that flashes for 24 hours, then stops. 0.4mA would take 2 years to drain the C14 battery.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2022, 06:39:10 AM »
The battery should not be going flat when parked up for a few weeks. It sounds like you have a parasitic drain. Someone may have fitted one of those tracker modules or something similar, and that is draining the battery. You can test yourself if you have a multimeter, or find a competent motorcycle mechanic and get them to look it over.
My C14 draws around 0.4mA after switching off the ignition and I would imagine most of that is running the flashing red LED that flashes for 24 hours, then stops. 0.4mA would take 2 years to drain the C14 battery.

Testing the parasitic load is not a bad idea for anyone with a known good battery that seems to go low for no reason (looses significant charge over a week).

My 2011 pulls 78mA after turning off, then several seconds later, it normalizes to 2.5mA.  That is with the flashing light.  Not sure I ever tested it with the light off.  I don't have anything additional installed that would pull power with the ignition off.

A 12AH battery will supply 2.5mA for 4800 hours (200 days).  That would mean the bike should easily go 2 to 3 months untouched and still be able to start on even a battery that has some significant wear.

If you want to test it with a multimeter, it is quite easy.  Just disconnect the positive from the battery and connect the multimeter (in amp mode) between the battery post and the positive cable and wait.  If I remember correctly, my car pulls much much more when off (I didn't write that number down, unfortunately).

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2022, 11:07:03 AM »

Yeah, something is going on.  They said the batter has no issues, just needed charging. So, I put the battery in after they charged it.  Cranked it and it read like 13.9, I believe.  Very cold that day so I wasn't able to ride.  Sat for 3-4 days.  Just went out and it did crank but showed 11.8.  This electrical stuff is way above my intelligence and we are new here and already had a bad situation with a mechanic for my car.  I am pretty sure I have everything connected properly, but I probably wouldn't bet my life.  Usually take lots of picks how something is set, and make sure it matches up when putting it back.  The negative cable and the frame ground connect to the same bolt?  That would be the only thing I questioned and I am pretty sure that's the case.

Should I just try to educate myself over the next month or two on your suggestions and deal with the drain in the meantime?  Thanks for the help.

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2022, 11:57:20 AM »
After the above message.  Went out to ride a little.  Before cranking, it showed 11.8, cranked right up and immediately went to 14.1 as you maybe see in the image.  Got to looking.  Very sunny today.  You can see the light coming in, but its dark in there as I lightened up the image. 

https://freeimage.host/i/GGopTJ

However, I looked and I can run a solar charge under the screening and place it on the lower outdoor ledge of the window vents so it's outside and not in a puddle.  Any thoughts if this would be useful till I can educate myself on tracking down any draw?  Something like:

https://www.amazon.com/Sunway-Solar-Maintainer-Motorcycle-Powersports/dp/B01MYVUSRH/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=1J9VWWPAOG9Z7&keywords=solar%2Btrickle%2Bcharger%2Bfor%2Bmotorcycle&qid=1647798163&sprefix=solar%2Btri%2Caps%2C126&sr=8-1-spons&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExQkJSWUpZRzI4VkRUJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwODAzNDg0MUozNFBFVTFQQUcwMyZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNjA1NTc3M1BOVE9MSjkxVk0zNCZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU&th=1

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2022, 03:31:18 AM »
That will give up to 0.25A in very bright sunlight so may prevent your battery from going flat.
The only other problem is that you cannot connect it to the bikes existing cigar lighter socket as that is disconnected from the battery when the ignition is off.
You will need to wire it via a fuse to the battery somehow.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2022, 05:35:12 AM »
That will give up to 0.25A in very bright sunlight so may prevent your battery from going flat.
The only other problem is that you cannot connect it to the bikes existing cigar lighter socket as that is disconnected from the battery when the ignition is off.

And the 0.25A is only with full/direct sun on the panel.  Most of the day that will not be the case, and certainly not at eve/night.  Still, it might be enough.

And it will likely be stolen pretty quickly, since it isn't secure.  And it isn't rated for outdoors (it is meant for inside a car).

Really, a draw test (measuring parasitic load) would only take about 10 minutes, with the majority of that time just removing and putting back the bolts/covers.  I would certainly start there.

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2022, 06:24:10 AM »

Thanks-  I have a lead on my battery from a tender before we moved here and most of these will connect.  The claim to be waterproof and I've read they were very good for bikes.  It's a pretty strict complex, so maybe it would be safe on the ledge as it would be low and only seen by folks parking in front of our place.  This company has a range of wattages... would they be better, perhaps?

https://www.amazon.com/stores/page/4FED19AE-2D9D-4292-830D-E5C39A56415A?ingress=2&visitId=29c1b621-e93c-40cc-b031-21703b488030&ref_=ast_bln

Thanks again 

Offline Big Red

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2022, 09:37:52 AM »
I'd be inclined to measure the width of that drain in the curb and stick your solar panel through there.

As far as the possible parasitic drain goes, I'd really check to see if something is being bad.
2010 C14, Shoodaben Engineering MRP Flash, Delkevic slip-on, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, highway pegs, tail tidy, AST peg lowering brackets, LED switchbacks all the way around, Bright2Wheels tail light, StompGrips, custom seat, 2015 C14 vented and blacked out windshield, Dunlop RS3s, and a Fat Ninja hat.

« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2022, 03:29:47 PM »
Yeah, dead again.  Time to try to find a mechanic in the Wichita area-looks like there's a highly rated dude that does basic repairs and electrical work here out of his private shop, so glad to find that.   My fear is it's alternator due to the day after I rode the purchased bike from Denver to Wichita. Next morning, low battery.  Was thinking it was the battery but now wondering if it's an alternator and what that runs for a paid repair?

Offline Big Red

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2022, 05:17:59 PM »
I’d think if the alternator was bad, you wouldn’t make it out of Denver, let alone to Wichita.
2010 C14, Shoodaben Engineering MRP Flash, Delkevic slip-on, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, highway pegs, tail tidy, AST peg lowering brackets, LED switchbacks all the way around, Bright2Wheels tail light, StompGrips, custom seat, 2015 C14 vented and blacked out windshield, Dunlop RS3s, and a Fat Ninja hat.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2022, 08:08:31 PM »
Probably not alternator.  I am not sure I have EVER seen a post of a failed alternator or charging circuit on this forum.  And we are talking many, many thousands of posts.  Plus you showed 14+ V on the screen with the bike running, which is correct.

If that is a new battery, unless you have very bad luck, it is probably not a bad battery.

We have asked you to perform a simple parasitic drain test.  It will take 10 minutes and all it requires is a standard multimeter, which every household should have.  I strongly recommend you do that before throwing lots of money at the problem.   If you don't have a poor connection, then that is the most probable cause, especially since it looks like you bought a used bike, which someone very well could have modified.

If there is a significant parasitic load, it means someone installed SOMETHING on that bike that is NOT on the ignition circuit and is draining power.  In which case it must be found and removed.

« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2022, 05:25:26 AM »
Will do.  Will get a MM and check later this week and see how that reads. I need to charge the battery back up to full again to test with the MM?