Author Topic: 2008 Input Please  (Read 5854 times)

Offline amigoride

2008 Input Please
« on: March 26, 2016, 11:54:59 AM »
Hello C-14 owners,
I am looking at a very nice 2008 C-14. Great condition and only 25,000 km. (Canada)
I currently own a C-10 that has been good to me for 8 years. I do most of my own wrenching and find the old Connie very "owner maintenance/repair friendly".
I don't think I can resist the 2008. Couple of questions for a new C-14 owner.
 - Anything I should be looking for specific to an  '08 ? (1st model year issues?)
 - Is the bike owner maintenance friendly? I don't want to be taking it to a shop if I can do the work myself.
 - Is the C-14 as reliable as the old C-10? Cost to maintain? The old girl really has been a low cost ride for 90,000 kms.
Any input is appreciated.
      Thanks for the help.....Brian

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: 2008 Input Please
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2016, 12:01:11 PM »
Make sure all the recalls have been done..

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?board=42.0

Here's some other first year stuff...

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=93.0

I certainly couldn't resist it when it came out and I had a C10.  Never looked back.  Great bike.  I love it.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline BruceR

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2016, 04:22:19 PM »
I wouldn't call it owner friendly as far as maintenance, but still doable.  Fred's videos are great for that.
The '08 (& possibly '09) were the fastest models.  After that they were neutered from the factory. 

Offline overthehill

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2016, 06:13:16 PM »
I had an 87, bought a 2003 Goldwing.  Had no lean angle.  Sold it and bought a 99 C10.  I was seduced by an 06 FJR.  Worst bike I ever owned.  Traded that in on an 08 C14.  OMG!  Best bike I have ever owned.  They will talk about heat, but if you had a C10, you won't notice.  Only thing I miss that's on the new ones is the heated grips.
1987 Connie gone
2003 Goldwing (yikes, no lean angle) gone
1999 Connie gone
2008 Connie

Offline 2talltim

• 2008 C14
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2016, 06:59:24 PM »
Early models are the best. No traction control, no linked brakes.

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2016, 09:06:05 PM »
Hello C-14 owners,
I am looking at a very nice 2008 C-14. Great condition and only 25,000 km. (Canada)
I currently own a C-10 that has been good to me for 8 years. I do most of my own wrenching and find the old Connie very "owner maintenance/repair friendly".
I don't think I can resist the 2008. Couple of questions for a new C-14 owner.
 - Anything I should be looking for specific to an  '08 ? (1st model year issues?)
 - Is the bike owner maintenance friendly? I don't want to be taking it to a shop if I can do the work myself.
 - Is the C-14 as reliable as the old C-10? Cost to maintain? The old girl really has been a low cost ride for 90,000 kms.
Any input is appreciated.
      Thanks for the help.....Brian

If you are lucky, it will have the superior UN-Linked ABS. I have never been bothered by the heat. I think the heat issue is way overblown, or   the factory foams are missing. Glance inside the bottom of the fairings to make sure they are present and fitting tight.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2016, 09:23:19 PM »
Early models are the best. No traction control, no linked brakes.

There is nothing negative about an on/off traction control option.  Linked brakes, that is a point of contention for some people.

But you missed no heated grips, no white dash lights, no FEA mode, no improved mirror positions, no midpipe heat shield, no larger windscreen, no improved fairing for heat control, no screen position memory, no handlebar computer control, no improved backpressure vent, no front locking storage, no ambient temp display, no protection of oil drain plug....
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2016, 08:36:36 AM »
I will say from personal experience that in the beginning of ownership of my 08 and getting stuck in a traffic jam in Ashville, NC I was pretty much well done.  There are methods of heat mitigation whilst riding such as NOT lowering the screen all the way down.  Leave an inch or so gap as that allows air to come through between the fairing and screen and cool your shins.  Fred Harmon goes into modifying the bike to manage the heat getting to the rider on his C14 videos.  I personally have some foam heat stoppers between the fairing and the engine at about shin level.  The bike, as it breaks in will have the heat lessen over time.  I also have put insulation on the bottom of the seat.   Perception of heat is also personally subjective.  What bothers me, may not bother the OP and vice versa.  Climate where the OP rides can affect this as well.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2016, 09:00:10 AM »
Perception of heat is also personally subjective.  What bothers me, may not bother the OP and vice versa.  Climate where the OP rides can affect this as well.

Indeed.  I have never ridden a gen1, but to me, even with the changes for heat management, the gen2 is a "hot" bike.   It is fully fared and big and has a huge engine, big radiator, so all those factors matter.  Of course, it comes in handy in cold months riding.  Although one can't put the improved fairings from the gen2 on the gen1, one can add a midpipe heatshield like the gen2 has and also some extra foam under the fairings to help direct the heat and probably get most of what matters.

But the best thing ever was taking a stock shield and just cutting it way down and swapping to that in the summer.  HUGE difference... as long as one is moving.  Stopped traffic is still a huge drag.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2016, 11:03:16 AM »
The 08's came with a stock shorty shield...

Offline robertv

• 2008 C14 Silver
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2016, 12:16:35 PM »
Like you, I came from a C10 ('00), then jumped to a 2008 C14 non-ABS. Luckily the previous owner was a buddy of mine who added some farkles like the MC Canyon Cages and Laam seat but took excellent care of this baby. I think having the cages makes *some* of the maintenance a little bit more time consuming but like someone mentioned earlier, if you have Fred's videos it makes it more easier and worthwhile!  And like many many others, I've never looked back and think this is one great bike.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2016, 12:49:07 PM »
The 08's came with a stock shorty shield...

I am talking much shorter than the stock 2nd gen and shorter than the 1st gen by at least a few inches.  I went back through my notes looking for a measurement and found I didn't write it down. 

Offline freebird6

• In a big country...
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2016, 03:53:47 PM »
I liked my 08. Never had the heat problem many talk about. Ran very well and was exceptionally reliable. Oil changes were easy and farkles were pretty simple to do. I don't think you can go wrong on that one. 25k   Perfect. Only problem is those speed limits in Canada. Yeesh. Not sure I could ride that one up there. OPP would have me in a minute.
2008 Concours
2007 Mean Streak
99 r1100rt

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2016, 04:19:49 PM »
Problems with speed limits down here as well.  Dam* bike always wants to go faster.

Offline aspire61

• 08 concours + 85 madura 1200
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2016, 05:13:51 PM »
I live in Medicine Hat, Alberta. Bought a 2008 almost 4 yrs ago. I love it. I also love my goldwing. Different bikes for different strokes!

chrs- mat
No mans opinion is entirely worthless- even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Offline dw4402

« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2016, 05:33:07 PM »
Check the rear brake master cylinder. Take it off the bike and remove the rubber cover from the side where the pushrod goes in coming from the brake pedal. Look for rust. If there's rust in there, take the whole unit apart and clean it. Somehow water settles in there and rusts and over time can cause the rear brake to stick a little when it's applied. Happened to my 08 and my buddy's 09. Not a big deal but something to look for. Other than that i still have my 08 with 62k miles. Purchased her brand new and have never regretted the purchase since and still enjoy her.
David K. Williams
08 C14

Offline fsr402

« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2016, 06:19:00 PM »
I had a 98 c10,  loved it.  On a whim (was test riding can am spiders for the wife) an I bought the 08 concours and she had to learn to ride two wheels.  Best bike I have ever owned.  Have had it 4 years.  Only issue was the tps sensors went out.  But actually got kow to warranty them last year.