Author Topic: TPMS Removal Basics Pressure Monitoring System Basics  (Read 7279 times)

Offline angelo

• Some Ride Reports
TPMS Removal Basics Pressure Monitoring System Basics
« on: January 06, 2016, 10:21:39 AM »
Have an 08, all set to send sensor off for a new battery.  Have read the FAQ on it.

So, once the tire is off, how do I actually get the sensor off?  Any simple step by step welcome. 

In reading, does the whole plastic sensor/cover just twist off?  No clue...

Thanks

Offline Landon

Re: TPMS Removal Basics Pressure Monitoring System Basics
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2016, 01:51:29 PM »
I just took mine off. Believe it was a 4mm allen used on the bottom of the stem. Unscrew, remove black plastic holder, mark front or rear on holder, ship to Fred to replace battery.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2016, 02:42:09 PM »
As the other poster said, there is a large headed (Boys!), flat hex- drive screw right in the center of the sensor. Unscrew that and the sensor will come out of the wheel along with a spring and the valve stem. Also as previously mentioned: mark the sensors for front and rear otherwise you will have to do the 'string swing' test to find out which is which.

Brian

Have an 08, all set to send sensor off for a new battery.  Have read the FAQ on it.

So, once the tire is off, how do I actually get the sensor off?  Any simple step by step welcome. 

In reading, does the whole plastic sensor/cover just twist off?  No clue...

Thanks
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline clogan

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2016, 07:48:38 PM »
I am told that upon reinstallation, the curved end (one end is square, one is curved) should lead in direction of rotation. I cannot confirm this as necessary, although when mine did not at first work correctly, problems disqppeared after I properly reoriented them.
2010 Neptune blue C14
2009 blue KLR
2013 DRZ400

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2016, 09:15:38 PM »
There is no proper orientation; the sensors work on centripetal force, and that applies no matter which direction the sensors are facing (radius end forward or radius end retreating). I have replaced the batteries on dozens of these devices (the first three generation TPS sensors, not the current potted type) and orientation makes no difference.

Brian

I am told that upon reinstallation, the curved end (one end is square, one is curved) should lead in direction of rotation. I cannot confirm this as necessary, although when mine did not at first work correctly, problems disqppeared after I properly reoriented them.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline angelo

• Some Ride Reports
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2016, 06:21:41 AM »
Greatly appreciated.  And yes, sending off to Fred.

Offline clogan

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2016, 06:38:15 AM »
There is no proper orientation; the sensors work on centripetal force, and that applies no matter which direction the sensors are facing (radius end forward or radius end retreating). I have replaced the batteries on dozens of these devices (the first three generation TPS sensors, not the current potted type) and orientation makes no difference.

Brian

Thanks, Brian. I suspected it was bunk, but it came from the lead tech at our local KAW dealership. My real problem was most certainly that I failed to completely clean the battery connection points when I removed my old batteries. Then, having soldered in new batts, there was no voltage reaching the sensor even tho the connection was "solid".  So,  After I de-soldered, I carefully removed all the old glue-like gunk, polished the terminals with emery cloth, then re-soldered. After reinstalling th e re-soldered sensors (in the " correct" orientation), they worked fine.
2010 Neptune blue C14
2009 blue KLR
2013 DRZ400

Offline jwh20

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2016, 06:46:42 AM »
I've seen them both ways from the factory and the sensor doesn't know which way it's turning.  But old-wives-tales die hard!

Just to stress marking FRONT and REAR so you get them back in the right spot.  Otherwise both will work when you re-install but you won't know which is which from the instrument display.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2016, 05:16:17 PM »
Just to stress marking FRONT and REAR so you get them back in the right spot.  Otherwise both will work when you re-install but you won't know which is which from the instrument display.

That is good advice!  Imagine how pissed one would be to have them in there wrong and have to live with the display being "backwards" until next everything is apart again.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2016, 05:17:30 PM »
It would fit right in with my clock.  :)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2016, 08:51:47 PM »
It would fit right in with my clock.  :)

Did you spring for the flashing "12" option?
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2016, 06:23:15 AM »
Nope, settled for the 'Twice a Day' setting.  :)

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2016, 03:02:03 PM »
Would these work i wonder? I have access to to a KDS so registering the unit is not a problem. the frequency looks to be correct. The id code looks to be  the correct length
http://tinyurl.com/hn2pgrn
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2016, 03:19:22 PM »
Maybe, but you'd have to try it.  Our sensors fit flat against the wheel.  That one is vertical.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline SilverConnieRider

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2016, 04:50:24 PM »
I've seen them both ways from the factory and the sensor doesn't know which way it's turning.  But old-wives-tales die hard!

I agree, except it wouldn't be to hard to figure out "which is which" as you could just let air out of one tire and ride it a short distances and you would know.
If it was wrong, like MAXTOG said you would have to live with it - or change it so it was right if it was going to bug someone all the time.   ;D

But when I do mine this spring along with a tire change, I will for sure mark front and rear - also the orientation even thought it may not matter.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2016, 05:20:34 PM »
I don't know how susceptible it would be to breakage from tire changing...
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

sailor_chic

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2016, 07:40:51 PM »
I don't know how susceptible it would be to breakage from tire changing...

For $4 each, who cares. Change it with every tire change

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2016, 09:49:15 PM »
Right.....

Offline Cloggy

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2016, 11:18:01 PM »
Check the polarity of the connection before soldering a new battery in. There is a reasonable sized "+" sign on the circuit board.
I had some trouble getting the existing tabs to stick to the new battery. No doubt something to do with the sticky coating that is on these terminals as mentioned in one of the posts above.
So after cooking one battery by getting it too hot trying to solder those tabs on I decided on running some thin wires from the battery to the circuit board. Only to find out I had the polarity reversed.
Upon swapping the wires around I have found the sensor still works so obviously they can handle a mistake like this or I was really lucky.
But probably best to avoid a silly mistake like this.
Of course I don't know how to act my age. I have never been this old before!

Offline RcrBoy

« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2016, 04:09:43 PM »
Hey All,

Has anyone had experience with "recharging" these button batteries?

From what I am researching, these batteries are advertised as "Rechargeable Lithium 3.0V coin battery"

Are the factory ones the same?

Seems a much simpler option would be to recharge the existing battery.

My front sensor is giving me trouble.  I may try that option when it's due for the next service.

8) Mark 8)