Author Topic: canyon cage and valv check, any problems?  (Read 2018 times)

Offline speed545

canyon cage and valv check, any problems?
« on: March 26, 2013, 09:52:04 AM »
Hey guys,

been working on the bike and getting prepare for the upcoming season. Bodywork is off, all fluids changed and I m about to bring the beast to a local dealer for the valv job.

I ve put the gen 1 canyon cage on the bike last fall and I was woundering if the tech at the local shop will be able to work on the bike with the CC in place. Even if i call, he wont even know what I m talking about  ;D

Anybody has any experience in that situation? If yes, id rather remove it myself since they probably never saw that kind of protection. Not that it s very difficult to remove but I prefer to do it myself. Samething for the bodywork.

It s the first valv job on the bike. I have 22K on it

Thx for any inputs
08, Concours 14
Montreal Fire Dept

Offline Rhino

• Arena
Re: canyon cage and valv check, any problems?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 10:49:45 AM »
I would simply remove the cage before taking it in. Why pay shop fees for the simple job? Just be sure not to drop the bike on the way in ;D

Offline speed545

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013, 11:36:56 AM »
I guess you re right. sometimes I should just do it instead of asking, it would take the same time  8)
08, Concours 14
Montreal Fire Dept

Offline Conrad

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2013, 12:13:33 PM »
I would have swung by the dealer first and show them your Canyon Cages then asked them if they need to come off for the valve work.

On another note. The best practice is to change your fluids before storing the bike for the winter. There's no reason for the bike to sit the winter out with dirty fluids.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline speed545

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2013, 12:49:58 PM »
i would Conrad but he s 40 minutes away. I ll just remove it and be done with it.

As for fluids, I always drain motor oil in spring considering that all the oil had 4 months to drop into the pan  ;D

As for others fluids, well they re not that bad, I just flush everything each 2 years.

08, Concours 14
Montreal Fire Dept

Offline Conrad

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2013, 01:59:36 PM »
i would Conrad but he s 40 minutes away. I ll just remove it and be done with it.

As for fluids, I always drain motor oil in spring considering that all the oil had 4 months to drop into the pan  ;D

As for others fluids, well they re not that bad, I just flush everything each 2 years.

40 mins eh? That sounds like a nice ride.

Not a good idea to have her sit in that dirty oil for 4 months but it's your bike.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2013, 05:49:06 PM »
I ve put the gen 1 canyon cage on the bike last fall and I was woundering if the tech at the local shop will be able to work on the bike with the CC in place. Even if i call, he wont even know what I m talking about  ;D

Anybody has any experience in that situation? If yes, id rather remove it myself since they probably never saw that kind of protection. Not that it s very difficult to remove but I prefer to do it myself. Samething for the bodywork.

I have wondered the same thing and expect that I will probably have to remove them before taking the bike in for service.   They are quite tricky/non-obvious to install and remove if never seen before (which is quite likely).  Plus, the shop CAN'T safely remove them if you don't bring in all the bolts and that long rod which you have to put back in place when taking the cages off.  Otherwise things will start to move (at least, that is my understanding)...
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc