Author Topic: What are you reading right now?  (Read 2213 times)

Offline Strawboss

What are you reading right now?
« on: December 20, 2013, 07:52:56 PM »
I love to read, I read a lot, maybe a book or two a week, sometimes two at a time. Usually military fiction or history ala Clancy, WEB Griffin, Flynn, Thor, with a classic or a Cussler thrown in for good measure. I've got Clancy's last 4 books I'm holding off reading till next year. I may try to get through Huckleberry Finn again, for maybe the 10th time, I hate books written in colloquial dialogue. Anyway, I'm in the middle of Jeff Shaara's "The Steel Wave", a novel of the D-Day invasion at Normandy. Fantastic, as all of his and his fathers books are. What are you reading now?
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline Cuda

Re: What are you reading right now?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2013, 05:19:21 AM »
Florida
Real Estate Principles Practices & Law
I want to sell my business
semi retire
I want a LIFE
Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2013, 05:47:15 AM »
This forum...but also The Great Muckrock and Rosie

It's about F-100 pilots during the Vietnam war.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2013, 06:35:10 AM »
Bernard Cornwell   '1356'

Bergmen

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2013, 11:48:16 AM »
"December 1941" Craig Shirley
I just finished "Jimmy Stewart - Bomber Pilot" don't remember the author, I just loaned it to a friend.
One of the best books I've read in years: "Inferno - The World at War, 1939-1945" Max Hastings.

Dan

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2013, 11:58:57 AM »
Shelby Foote's 'The Civil War', a narrative. On volume two of a three volume set. Fantastic book IMO with Foote doing his usual great job of showing the reality of day- to- day life during major events in history that usually get pushed aside in favor of the big picture. He takes great care to point out the all of the politicians of the day were just as overloaded with virtually the same daily garbage that all politicians have faced.

Brian

I love to read, I read a lot, maybe a book or two a week, sometimes two at a time. Usually military fiction or history ala Clancy, WEB Griffin, Flynn, Thor, with a classic or a Cussler thrown in for good measure. I've got Clancy's last 4 books I'm holding off reading till next year. I may try to get through Huckleberry Finn again, for maybe the 10th time, I hate books written in colloquial dialogue. Anyway, I'm in the middle of Jeff Shaara's "The Steel Wave", a novel of the D-Day invasion at Normandy. Fantastic, as all of his and his fathers books are. What are you reading now?
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2013, 01:06:18 PM »
This forum, yet again.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Leo

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2013, 02:02:06 PM »
Reading;   "The Cost of Discipleship" by Dietrich Bonhoffer.   

Just finished; "The Secrets Men Keep" by Arterburn, recommend it, esp. if you can get your wife to read it also.
Yep, still riding the old one

In Indiana, missing Texas

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2013, 11:14:18 AM »
Cornwell, great writer, good stuff. Foote, another great author.  If you go back and take a look at what some of the politicians of the era did and said back then, some of the stuff they pull now is tame by comparison. VJ, who's the author the F-100 story?
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50