Author Topic: Reliability of power commander 5  (Read 8090 times)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: Reliability of power commander 5
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2015, 05:32:45 AM »
Thanks for all the response . I'm definitely feeling confident about properly adding a pcv, however, if I test ride my bike with the Delkavic and flies removed, and feel it behaves well, should I not worry about running lean and causing damage? Rem, do you know if they run rich throuout the rpm range?

Lots of people run the C14 with secondaries removed and a different muffler and no other changes.  Shouldn't be a problem.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2015, 05:37:11 AM »
The only situation that I might be concerned about would be extended runs at WOT.

Offline Rembrant

• Arena
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2015, 07:34:35 AM »
Rem, do you know if they run rich throuout the rpm range?

Well, most of them do, yes. I checked my 2010 C14 when it was completely bone stock, and it was running rich...11.8:1 area +/- a little. I tried it again with flies wide open and Area-P full exhaust, and it was still running rich...at that time I believe between 11.8 and 12.5 or so. However, I only checked it up to about 7500 RPM...I did not check @ WOT.

You have to keep in mind that butterfly valves aren't all that good at controlling air flow once they're past about 30% open. It's just the nature of butterfly valves in general. This is why the big gains in removing the flies is in the 0-3500 RPM range...beyond that, they're open too far to control much flow. My point is, at cruising speed...lets say 3500-4000 RPM (for me at least) there would be little to no difference in air/fuel ratio with flies in or flies out.

If you look through the forums at some of the C14 dyno charts, you'll see before and after air/fuel ratios on the bottom of the graph. Many of the C14 dyno results I've seen indicate a stock A/F ratio between 12-12.5 most of the time, and they're usually leaned out to the 13.3-13.5 range once "tuned". This makes sense to me as I checked my own stock C14, and it was in that range as well...at sea level at least.

I still think flies removed and a PC5 is the best way to "tune" a C14. It's completely DIY, and the bikes just seem to work better that way IMHO. The Fuelmoto maps were very well done and work very well.

Rem

“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.” ~ Winston Churchill.

Offline RDS

« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2015, 04:36:36 AM »
Thanks again for more info. Based on all this info. I think I would be fine to go without the pcv, which was kinda my goal, however, Rem, your insights along with Brian's long term accolades, I'm thinking, why not have a properly tuned bike?
Well I think I will.
Thanks to all for all the insight I have gained from this forum.
Richard
2009 C14.   Go for a ride!