Author Topic: Tire Stress  (Read 4910 times)

Offline texrider

Tire Stress
« on: April 08, 2012, 11:22:10 PM »
Lots of advice from tire mfg's about not using motorcycle tires that have been subjected to dyno runs, for subsequent highway use.
http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/info-center/care-and-maintenance/

Do you think dynos stress M/C tires so far in excess of rated loading as to render them scrap?

Could it be CYA along the lines of don't use a car tire on a bike?
2014 Valkyrie

Offline jqram35

• 2012 C-14 Candy Arabian Red
Re: Tire Stress
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 12:32:20 AM »
Blah blah buy more tires. Dyno runs certainly take some life off them.
Jeff

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 04:26:29 AM »
Why would a dyno run cause 'stress' to a mc tire?  The tires are rated for a certain speed and if you don't exceed that then I don't see an issue.  However, I will say that I've never had a dyno run (except at a Sinclair station), so I don't really know what goes on during one.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline texrider

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 05:58:36 AM »
Why would a dyno run cause 'stress' to a mc tire?  The tires are rated for a certain speed and if you don't exceed that then I don't see an issue.  However, I will say that I've never had a dyno run (except at a Sinclair station), so I don't really know what goes on during one.

I'd suspect they liken a dyno to a tire destruction test, where the tire is 'strapped in' to an extra load situation, then run at high speeds against rollers...
2014 Valkyrie

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2012, 06:02:34 AM »
Our tires are rated at high speed.  How fast does one get while on a dyno (I'm speaking the tires we run)?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2012, 06:06:29 AM »
The problem may be from vibratory oscillation.

Ohhh, how many points do I get Jimah?
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2012, 06:07:38 AM »

Offline basmntdweller

• The Profile Brotherhood
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2012, 06:07:58 AM »
I watched when they dynoed my bike. The rear tire gets quite deformed under the load. I am guessing they feel that deformation is beyond the tire is designed for. In normal riding the tires footprint is primarily a flat plane. Running against the drum of the dyno effectively reverses the curvature of the tire. I am guessing they think that is taking the tire too far.
They ran mine to redline in 4th gear. Not sure what mph that equates to though, 150ish?

Matt
'09 C14
'98 DR-350
'11 Suzuki C50T wife's ride since she hates my Connie
'03 Honda CBR600RR track bike

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2012, 06:09:12 AM »
Ahhh.  Thanks.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2012, 09:37:06 AM »
I've never put my C14 on a dyno but did do a couple of dyno drag races on my valkyrie. I don't remember exactly but I think I got to 110mph. Certainly didn't get above rated speed. Unless you disable the speed limiter, your still not going to get above the max speed of the bike on the road. It must be that the roller causes more deflection like basmntdweller said. And probably a little of lawyer CYA as well.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2012, 11:33:53 AM »
 :popcorn:

Offline Kazairl

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2012, 04:47:59 PM »
That link is total BS. They keep getting confused on how to spell "tire" correctly....  :popcorn:

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2012, 06:00:01 PM »
Tyre?

Offline Kazairl

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2012, 08:12:31 PM »
Tyre is a city in Lebanon that got conquered by Alexander The Great in 332 B.C. A Tire is that black thing that keeps your metal and plastic parts separated from the asphalt.

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2012, 10:20:18 PM »
Speaking of stress, I ran my rear Shinko Verge for 40 miles Saturday with 28 PSI. I picked up a staple and had a slow leak. I decided not to remove the staple since the tread was so thin I was afraid it would not hold a plug. (The steel belt was starting to show) After 10 miles I stopped for air but just my luck the pump was a POS and would only get me to 29 psi on 6 quarters.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline texrider

« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2012, 10:42:50 PM »
I may never know, as I spooned on a new pair of Dunlop sportmax Q2s last night.

And I was so wanting to do the whole burnout to blowout rear tire destruct thing, and post it to youtube... 8)

2014 Valkyrie

Offline texrider

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2012, 01:45:57 PM »
What a pleasure new tires are! Makes ya luv her all over again!

Guess I had gotten used to having to muscle the bike around, 'cause I had to be careful at first not to be pushing so much input...  8)
2014 Valkyrie

Offline basmntdweller

• The Profile Brotherhood
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2012, 04:15:42 PM »
Well, since I read it on the internet that I shouldn't be riding on my dynoed tire, who has the best deal on a set of PR3's? My local shop wanted over $600 for the tires and then another $100 or so to mount and balance. I think I'll pass on that deal.
I've swapped a bunch of tires on my dirt bike. Are these much harder to change?

Matt
'09 C14
'98 DR-350
'11 Suzuki C50T wife's ride since she hates my Connie
'03 Honda CBR600RR track bike

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2012, 11:06:06 PM »
Well, since I read it on the internet that I shouldn't be riding on my dynoed tire, who has the best deal on a set of PR3's? My local shop wanted over $600 for the tires and then another $100 or so to mount and balance. I think I'll pass on that deal.

Matt

I search the best deal I can find on the internet and spoon them on myself. If you have or can make a decent bead breaker, not much more difficult then a dirt bike and no tubes to worry about. Just make sure you don't mess with the TPS when you do it. I have a DR650 as well and those tires are certainly easier to pry but making sure the tubes don't get pinched makes it a wash in terms of effort between the 2 bikes IMO.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2012, 11:13:18 PM »

Matt

Some pics of my 2x4 bead breaker: