Author Topic: is full coverage really full coverage?  (Read 3522 times)

Offline snarf

• Arena
is full coverage really full coverage?
« on: January 16, 2012, 06:52:01 AM »
So this weekend my boy puts his 2001 Firebird in a ditch. Instead of calling somebody he tries in vain to get it out himself. Long story short exhaust caught the dead grass on fire and his car is a melted pile of worthless metal. He still owes a good chunk of money, he does have full coverage ins. Does full coverage ins cover being a dumb a$$?.  It's a no brainer to see all the tire marks around all the corners in the gravel. No tickets were issued (yet). It was 330am and the fire trucks were parked in the intersection so Im not sure the police could see the tire marks.
Just curious what y'all think.

2002 Conc
1986 Conc "The spirit of COG"

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline snarf

• Arena
Re: is full coverage really full coverage?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 06:59:34 AM »
The fire was hot enough to turn one of his rims into goo  :yikes:

2002 Conc

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 07:00:56 AM »
I don't see why they wouldn't cover it.  Collision and comprehensive cover pretty much anything that could possibly happen. 
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline Mister Tee

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 07:59:08 AM »
Yes it should cover it, but "full coverage" is a misnomer.  It is rare to get the full replacement value for the loss.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2012, 08:13:48 AM »
That'll buff right out!.

The ins company might pay him what the car was worth at the time if he's lucky, nothing more.

I'm glad to hear that he wasn't hurt. That's a LOT of heat to melt that wheel!
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2012, 09:02:50 AM »
A few more for your viewing enjoyment.

2002 Conc

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2012, 09:05:13 AM »
2002 Conc

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2012, 09:18:53 AM »
It looks like he had a decent sound system. That probably won't be considered in the money they give you. That things had one hellacious burn going.

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2012, 09:36:05 AM »
It looks like he had a decent sound system. That probably won't be considered in the money they give you. That things had one hellacious burn going.
Believe it or not but that speaker box was the only thing salvageable from the car.  It obviously has some charring but it is still structurally sound.  I know what I am going to build my next house out of :o 
2002 Conc

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2012, 10:19:57 AM »
As for the stereo stuff. Make sure he gets receipts for all of the components and prey he gets some of the money back. Even if the sub box is sound, doesn't mean it shouldn't be replaced.
Joel from Maine.

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2012, 11:09:41 AM »
Youngest son totalled his car awhile back. State Farm paid the full blue book value, plus the cost of sales tax, title, and tags.
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline shreveportSS

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2012, 12:21:38 PM »
 The real question is, Did he learn anything? I'm sure his insurance will go up if they get wind that he was doing a little "exhibition driving".
2011 Concours 14
2011 ZX1000GBF Ninja. Died Dec. 1st, 2012
2012 ZX1000HBF Ninja.

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2012, 12:42:57 PM »
That could also make a case for carrying a fire extinguisher in your vehicle.

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2012, 01:23:44 PM »
That could also make a case for carrying a fire extinguisher in your vehicle.
LOL you don't have to convince me, I carry two dry chems and a CO2 extinguisher in the tool box of my truck.  The question is...where in the world would he have put one? Speakers are WAY more important than spare tires and fire extinguishers :-\
2002 Conc

Offline jayke

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2012, 02:59:38 PM »
I bet your son is just sick about his car.  Glad he's ok.

I think what you're asking is called Gap coverage which is extra cost above full coverage.  But it's not that expensive. It pays off the loan if the car is totaled no matter what the value of the car is.  I have it on my cars.

After my son's ex-girlfriend wrecked his car twice, I talked him into getting Gap coverage.  Worked out well for him when she totaled it two months later. 

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2012, 03:40:35 PM »
Jayke, I have GAP ins on my wifes Jeep. I drive POS cars so all mine are payed for when I put the key in the ignition.  My son owes under book for the car so I believe he will be okay. I luckily have never had to use any of my full coverage ins for a totaled car so I was just curious how being stupid affected the outcome.  I do know that his dual Thrush exhaust is going to sound real nice on my truck.  Its a shame the exhaust melted in the fire :-X :-X :o
2002 Conc

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2012, 03:43:25 PM »
Youngest son totalled his car awhile back. State Farm paid the full blue book value, plus the cost of sales tax, title, and tags.

State Farm has been that good to me on a few bikes that got stolen way back in my apartment days.
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine