Author Topic: Michelin Commander 2 Tires  (Read 6511 times)

Offline wally_games

• Arena
Michelin Commander 2 Tires
« on: January 03, 2012, 11:33:35 AM »
I see that the guys over on the C10 forum are talking about the recently released Michelin Commander 2 tires in order to get longer life, especially on the rear tires. These are a cruiser tire, but I'd definitely use those before going to a CAR tire!!
  :stirpot:
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline ZedHed

Re: Michelin Commander 2 Tires
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012, 05:09:28 PM »
Car tire thread -- zinga !!
"Life is a hard teacher - you get the test before the lesson is taught..."

Offline lt1

• 2008 C14
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 08:34:22 PM »
Um, this is the C14 section.  Did you even look at the specs for the Commander 2?
Eyes, Brain, Hands.  Repeat.

Offline DonB

• Let's Ride
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2012, 09:00:15 PM »
it's fun to always look for something better than what we have. on with the search
2012 Candy Arabian Red C14 but it's not Red to me
2012 Blue ABS Wing
2011 White Vstrom                               = o&o>

Offline PH14

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2012, 09:31:34 PM »
Um, this is the C14 section.  Did you even look at the specs for the Commander 2?

Have you ever seen specs on a car tire?  :stirpot: :popcorn:

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2012, 11:28:37 AM »
My point was that some people, who ride less agressively and more straight line, might consider a touring or cruiser tire (rather than a sport touring tire) if they're concerned with tire mileage. If they're willing to even consider a car tire, I would think a tire like the Commander 2 would be a far superior choice.
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2012, 12:12:05 PM »
My point was that some people, who ride less agressively and more straight line, might consider a touring or cruiser tire (rather than a sport touring tire) if they're concerned with tire mileage. If they're willing to even consider a car tire, I would think a tire like the Commander 2 would be a far superior choice.

+1
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2012, 12:13:55 PM »

Riding the wrong bike then...  However, ifn I was doing a straight line trip, multiple thousands of miles across country then I might use something like that (just for the trip).  Would not consider that choice at all for how I ride now.  I live for the twisty roads...can't stand the straight ones.  Go faster on the curves, on the straights I could care less.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2012, 12:24:38 PM »
Riding the wrong bike then...  However, ifn I was doing a straight line trip, multiple thousands of miles across country then I might use something like that (just for the trip).  Would not consider that choice at all for how I ride now.  I live for the twisty roads...can't stand the straight ones.  Go faster on the curves, on the straights I could care less.

I guess that's why so many of the members are putting big trunks, giant windshields, air wings, cruise controls, Day Long seats, etc, etc, etc. AND TONS OF MILES on their Connies. Those guys are using the bike more as a sport-TOUR machine and might consider a higher mileage tire. Not everyone uses this bike for the more sporting side like you and maybe I do.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2012, 12:35:13 PM »
True enough..
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2012, 02:06:27 PM »
 I would run these tires if I could bang out 25,000 miles on them. I don't believe they are making them in our sizes though. PR3s will be just fine until then. My front PR3 is about 11,500 miles old and running strong. My rear was insurance changed with 8,000 miles on it and it looked like new. New one is at 3500 miles.
 The Commander 2 tires will probably be cheaper than the PR3s.
Joel from Maine.

Offline lt1

• 2008 C14
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2012, 03:07:48 PM »
Are you people daft?  Go to the michelin website.  These are mostly bias-ply tires, and neither the bias nor the radial come in sizes that fit the C14. 

Offline PH14

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2012, 09:45:42 PM »
Are you people daft?  Go to the michelin website.  These are mostly bias-ply tires, and neither the bias nor the radial come in sizes that fit the C14.

+1  I'm all for using longer lasting tires if you are touring, only if the tire will work properly for the application. If not, it's just not worth it.

If you are superslabbing it, and want higher mileage, be sure to run the proper air pressure, what Kawasaki recommends gave me 8200 miles on the original front tire, and around 10,000 miles on the rear. My angels have around 9,000 miles on them so far and they are doing well. I do have fun in the twisties here in Pennsylvania and also West Virginia. I do a lot of long trips on the interstate as well. Use your brakes instead of engine braking and you will add many miles to the life of your tires.

If Michelin made a touring tire that was a radial in the size the C14 required, then I wouldn't see why you couldn't run it. I would just not do any sport riding on it. The tire wouldn't be made for the forces generated, but for the interstate and commuting, I'm sure the hypothetical tire would be fine.

For me I'll stick with sport touring tires, they aren't too expensive and if cared for properly they give high mileage and are great in the twisties. I seriously doubt a tire like the Commander 2 will give you appreciably higher mileage than a properly maintained PR3.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2012, 09:45:33 AM »
you're life is riding on your tires, why not get the ones that perform the best.

harley doesn't perform so this Michelin commander or car tires suffices anyway.

PR3's on my bike, I want my passengers to remain pretty as long as possible.
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2012, 11:02:23 AM »
I think I can get over 10,000 miles on almost any sport touring tires. I got 10,500 on a set of OEMs and kept the rear tire for a spare (still not to the wear bars). 11,400 on the Dunlop Roadsmarts. The rear was toast and front not to the bars. 16,800 on PR2s and I kept the front as a spare (squared a bit, but not to the bars. I think the PR3s are in the same ballpark as the PR2s.
Joel from Maine.

Offline lt1

• 2008 C14
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2012, 03:18:16 PM »
I apologize for the harsh language, but I still do not seem to be communicating.  The Commander 2's do not come in C14 sizes.  At least I do not consider a 140/75-17 front or a 200/55-17 rear to be "C14 sizes".   That is why this seems to be out of place in the C14 section.

Nobody seemed to be discussing this as a "theoretical tire", but acted as though it were a reasonable choice.  I would guess that if the Commander 2 is released later in C14 sizes, it would work very well for a good percentage of C14 owners.  OTOH, even if it were available, at this point, I think I would stick with a grippier tire, even at the cost of less mileage.

I applaud Michelin for continuing to work in developing bias-ply tires for older bikes, as well as working on some longer wearing radials.  It is now possible to get long-wearing grippy tires for cars, and I look forward to the day when tread life on bike tires does not have to be sacrificed for grip and safety.

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2012, 03:53:08 PM »
I apologize for the harsh language, but I still do not seem to be communicating.  The Commander 2's do not come in C14 sizes.  At least I do not consider a 140/75-17 front or a 200/55-17 rear to be "C14 sizes".   That is why this seems to be out of place in the C14 section.

Nobody seemed to be discussing this as a "theoretical tire" , but acted as though it were a reasonable choice.  I would guess that if the Commander 2 is released later in C14 sizes, it would work very well for a good percentage of C14 owners.  OTOH, even if it were available, at this point, I think I would stick with a grippier tire, even at the cost of less mileage.

I applaud Michelin for continuing to work in developing bias-ply tires for older bikes, as well as working on some longer wearing radials.  It is now possible to get long-wearing grippy tires for cars, and I look forward to the day when tread life on bike tires does not have to be sacrificed for grip and safety.

I realize now that I wasn't clear in my earlier posts. I was always thinking about this as a "theoretical tire" for some C14 riders since it isn't available in C14 sizes, YET. I mentioned it as it was being discussed by the C10 guys and ASSumed that there might be a similar tire available in C14 sizes (not being a tire expert). I don't think I said anything about using it on a C14, even though I did post it in the C14 forum (since I ride a C14). More of a "food for thought" post in reponse to car tire threads. A cruiser/touring tire has GOT to be a better choice than a car tire, IMHO.