Author Topic: Replacing Rear Pads  (Read 2164 times)

Offline oldsmoboat

Replacing Rear Pads
« on: June 22, 2011, 09:29:49 AM »
Is it straight forward: remove caliper, remove pads, replace pads, reinstall caliper?
Or will I need special tools and a fifth of Maker's Mark?

Offline Jet

• Dark Side of the Moon
Re: Replacing Rear Pads
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 09:42:05 AM »
You should be good.
...and a good time was had by all.

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2011, 09:45:16 AM »
You may need a C-clamp or other tool to push the piston back in.  Its a good time to suck the reservoir empty before and after pushing the piston in.  Then refill with fresh fluid so you can have a partial fluid change.  Work the brake pedal a few times and top off.
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline oldsmoboat

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2011, 09:49:51 AM »
You should be good.
Thanks

You may need a C-clamp or other tool to push the piston back in.  Its a good time to suck the reservoir empty before and after pushing the piston in.  Then refill with fresh fluid so you can have a partial fluid change.  Work the brake pedal a few times and top off.
Do have the C clamp.
DOT 3 for fluid?

TIA

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2011, 10:01:19 AM »
DOT 4 is OEM.
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline medicevans

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2011, 02:07:47 PM »
Makers Mark makes everything more fun though. No drinking and riding though!!

Offline oldsmoboat

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2011, 05:22:32 PM »
Pads came in from Murph's.
I always have Maker's Mark on hand.
So I guess I am ready.  Do you guys just switch out the pads or do you try to clean up the rotor with emery cloth or some such thing?
TIA

Offline Summit670

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2011, 05:27:35 PM »
Try to clean the piston best you can before pushing it back in.  Use rag wet with wd40 or maybe spray brake cleaners on the piston.

One time I carefully wet sanded the disk with the bike running and rear wheel spinning.  I think it helped a little but was slow going.

Most people don't worry about the disc though unless it is in really bad shape, gouged, warped or too thin.
Arctic Cat M8 163 rules

Sleds, Dirt Bikes, ATV's, Street Bikes, Mountain Bikes.  Heck, I guess if it has handlebars I'll give it a try.