Author Topic: Tire won't seal  (Read 9617 times)

Offline timsatx

• Arena
Tire won't seal
« on: December 02, 2012, 03:34:39 PM »
I have been trying for the last 2-3 hours to get the new PR2 inflated but no matter what I can't do it will not seal to the rim so I can inflate. I have even been using a 1,000 lb ratcheting strap but no go, Anybody have any ideas?

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
Re: Tire won't seal
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2012, 04:26:06 PM »
Just a quick checklist to make sure you didn't forget anything:

1 - Valve stem removed
2 - Tire lube
3 - Sufficient quantity and pressure of air

I've occasionally had one that was difficult to seat.  Sometimes popping all the bead back off the rim, re-lubing, and then putting air in again worked.

I use a spray bottle filled with Ru Glyde.  Makes it easy to spray a little extra onto the bead if it doesn't want to seat.
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2012, 04:28:22 PM »
How do you inflate without the valve core? Every one I have seen requires the valve core.

Offline Summit670

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2012, 04:51:02 PM »
No valve core inflation - a hose end/connector like the tire shops use.  It clamps on the valve stem.
Arctic Cat M8 163 rules

Sleds, Dirt Bikes, ATV's, Street Bikes, Mountain Bikes.  Heck, I guess if it has handlebars I'll give it a try.

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2012, 04:57:55 PM »
I haven't been to a shop to see the tools they use. I probably know what it looks like but can you provide a link? It is too late for me to finish right now as it is dark, but I can continue tomorrow.

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2012, 06:01:01 PM »
The valve core needs to be installed to make a normal tire inflation fitting work.  But the valve core causes a lot of restriction in the valve stem, slowing the airflow into the tire.  The air can't come in fast enough to overcome the amount of air leaking out past the unseated tire bead.    The answer is: 1) Remove the valve core so air can flow into the tire unrestricted.  2)  Use a free-flowing air nozzle that doesn't have the center pin like a tire inflator.  Let the air rush in as fast as it will go.  That should do the job.  Once the tire bead is seated, let off the air nozzle, and install the valve core and inflate as normal.  3)  Have a beer because you deserve it.

You may still have a problem if your compressor is very small and has a very low flow rate/small diameter hose.  If that's the case try borrowing a unit with a higher flow rate/bigger hose.
A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2012, 06:07:02 PM »
You may still have a problem if your compressor is very small and has a very low flow rate/small diameter hose.  If that's the case try borrowing a unit with a higher flow rate/bigger hose.
I use a local convenience store's air hose.  They have free (a rarity anymore) air available, and the hose is the type that you squeeze a handle to send air into the tire.

How do you inflate without the valve core? Every one I have seen requires the valve core.
The air will go in without the valve stem installed.  It just comes out again when you remove the hose.  Shoot the air in until the bead seats.  You should get two good pops, one as each bead seats.  Then take the hose off, and reinsert the valve stem.  I just wait until the pressure in the tire is gone, screw the stem in, and then inflate the tire.  Once the bead is seated, it will stay in place without any pressure in the tire.
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2012, 06:10:40 PM »
No valve core inflation - a hose end/connector like the tire shops use.  It clamps on the valve stem.
I think this is what Summit670 is referring to:  (Though you'll need some way to control the air supply)

The station near me uses these:

The clamp-on style is easier for bead seating, as you don't have to hold it in place as you shoot the air in.

Offline connie1

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2012, 07:37:13 PM »
I think this is what Summit670 is referring to:  (Though you'll need some way to control the air supply)

Tire shops use these to inflate very large tires like tractors and combines as it could take 10 minutes to fill and ypou'd get a pretty sore hand holding a regular chuck for that long.  They have about the same filling rate as the chucks without the holder.

I install quite a few of my own tires and I really know what you're going through.
Try laying the tire flat, or flat with small blocks under the tire to hold it up.  Also try rolling it a bit while on edge.  If one thing isn't working go directly to another,keep changing angles you are holding the rim etc.
As with other aspects of our lives lots of lubrication can lead to success.  A squirt bottle with a pretty rich detergent water mix works well.
Removing the valve core is also a must when things don't go well...filling rate is much higher.
Tire shops also have a puffer they use to help expand the tire to grab the rim.  It's just an old propane bottle with a quarter turn valve, large pipes and a nozzle that directs the air between the tire and rim.  A quick turn of the wrist and with a blast of air the tire expands to contact the rim and the already running air chuck takes over.
We used to do this with explosive gasses.  In the interest of safety I won't get into that.
Sometimes, with all your efforts, a tire won't seat.  I begrudgingly take those to the tire shop and they usually do it for free just to prove who's the man.
Good luck
Man do I love this bike! Red '09

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2012, 09:57:34 PM »
My air compressor is plenty big enough. I just think the volume of air isn't enough, certainly with the valve core installed. I saw that first small one in the pic at O'Reilly's today. I can try that.  So are y'all saying that it will still work without the valve core installed?

Offline Rick Hall

• Administrator
  • Eruption
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2012, 10:07:47 PM »
So are y'all saying that it will still work without the valve core installed?

Some will, some won't  :-\

I've mounted 'several' tires in recent eon's. The problem tires were the Pilot-GT's (stiff as a brick). The rest seat fairly well if I make sure the bead (and rim) is well lubed w/ Ru-glyde when I air the tire up. As in the Ru-glyde has not dried.

Some times I've had to gently bounce the tire/wheel on the ground, rotate, repeat; in order to get the beads 'centered' on the rim (axial and radial).

Rick
Rick Hall     1994 ZG 1000 "Sam"      xCOG #1914 (CO)
  GfNi H.P.   DOD #2040   1kQSPT 14.16   IBA #3274
    The Kawasaki Concours page at: www.zggtr.org

Offline JDM

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2012, 07:23:16 AM »
Take it to your local tire shop; they will inflate it for you. The shop I use does it at no charge, and while you are at it, ask them for a bit of bead soap. Remember I am a lazy SOB.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 10:50:30 AM by JDM »
If you have seen heaven, I am sure something scared the hell out of you.

Offline Tabarswaacky

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2012, 07:48:45 AM »

The ratcheting strap and lube always work for me.  It helps if the tire is warmed up. Try bouncing the wheel in between attempts.

AND !!! don't laugh,  Once my tire was to big for the rim., and a billion pounds of pressure wouldn't have inflated it.

Offline Summit670

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2012, 08:16:49 AM »
I haven't looked closely at one, but is it possible to take an old valve core and remove all the sealing components/spring to increase the flow?
Arctic Cat M8 163 rules

Sleds, Dirt Bikes, ATV's, Street Bikes, Mountain Bikes.  Heck, I guess if it has handlebars I'll give it a try.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2012, 08:57:09 AM »
I leave the valve stem out to pop the bead on. You want maximum flow and the valve stem impedes air flow. +1 on the lube, without it you will have a very hard time getting the tire on the bead.

Offline Kazairl

« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2012, 10:09:08 AM »
You could always use some ether and a match     ;D

Offline connie1

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2012, 12:02:46 PM »
If using combustible gasses use a handheld propane torch to light it.  Keeps your fingers from getting singed or caught in the bead.
Would also be a good idea to take it out of the shop...sometimes you get a pretty big fireball.
Man do I love this bike! Red '09

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2012, 12:26:32 PM »
You know, I tried the ether thing and damned if I still couldn't get. I tried everything. Since all the motorcycle shops are closed today I went to our local Cycle Gear shop. It took them about 20 minutes to get it mounted, and they didn't charge which was nice. Normally mounting is quick but it even took them time to get it done.

Offline Uded2me

This forum is dead dead dead
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2012, 12:50:07 PM »
d e a d
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 09:57:40 PM by knight_mare »

Offline jworth

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2012, 05:32:19 PM »
To get air in quickly I often use an air gun nozzle with a bit of electrical tape wrapped around it to help it seal.  You don't have to be able to put in enough air to make it seat, just enough to get it to seal.  Then you can quickly swap tips to get it seated.

I have used the ether method before.  Works pretty darned well on ATV tires.