Author Topic: What's best for quick handling: this or saddlebags?  (Read 13398 times)

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
Re: What's best for quick handling: this or saddlebags?
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2011, 06:59:41 PM »
I agree with what Harold said about dragging pegs. I had to take may feelers off because I have peg lowerers. When I drag it is because I made a cornering booboo.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2011, 07:15:21 PM »
I often run my trunk without sidebags because for some reason the bike "does" feel more light and nimble to me like that...

But I usually have much less than 15 lbs in the trunk, if I were going on a trip I would probably run the side bags just to have more available space to use for whatever, water etc.

Either way I don't think it would really make that big of difference IMO, the trunks not like a 100 lb passenger.

Have a fun trip Haroldo, oh and that looks like a fun corner in your original post.  :thumbs:

« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 09:20:00 PM by ZG »

Offline Tremainiac

« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2011, 08:12:19 PM »
15lbs anywhere on a 670lb  bike + 170lbs of rider ain't going to affect much of anything.
Physics. ???
Hey mister, my sister has a Harley 'just' like yours!!
2009 Concours 14, 2003 Triumph Thunderbird Sport
1980 Honda CM400 street tracker, Grubee Skyhawk

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2011, 09:14:14 PM »
Haroldo, I did not even realize how much I missed our repartee. Too much fun.  ;D

But to answer your question honestly, I just do not know. Too many variables really to make any kind of assessment in my opinion. My gut reaction is still that it would be better to place any appreciable mass in the saddlebags but that is just a guess. I do think that you could find out which is better quite quickly if you exaggerate the situation and try it both ways; take two pieces of 20 lb. ballast (anything including raw meat if you want), put them in the top box and go for a ride. After a bit, move each weight into one saddlebag and continue the ride; my bet is that the weight will 'feel' better on the bike in the saddlebags. At least this is not an embarrassing experiment like that 'tape a garbage bag over the exhaust' one was.  ;D ;D

Now about your underwear: as I remember, you are from Brazil. I have seen photos of the folks on the beach at Rio de Janeiro. Assuming your (Brazilian) underwear is similar in design to your swimwear, as most societies' underwear is, then I have to say that I do not believe you have 15 lbs. of underwear. In fact, it would seem that no 10 Brazilians put together have had 15 lbs. of underwear in their entire collective lives. I believe you could put all of your underwear in the glove box and have room left for a garage door opener and a wallet. A big wallet. So your whole post is moot. <ROFLMAO three times>

Brian

Brian,

You know me too well, without knowing me  ;D

Yes, my life wasn't completely wasted, as I did indeed take Statics, Dynamics, Strength of Materials, Thermodymics, and probably some other ME  stuff I might be missing.

The problem is, like everything else I learned in school, I just don't know $hit anymore  :o

It makes me want to puke when I think of all the abstract problems I used to work out on my field in school (digital signal processing, RF, etc), and then, out in the real world, I ended up working with motors, robots, and control systems, and that's all I know now, and nothing else.

So, now here I am, asking the forum if my 15lbs of underwear should be put in the trunk or in the bags. Had I know that years ago, I would have spent the college money in booze and hookers instead (wife, if you are reading this, I'm just kidding. You're bautiful. Hookers are gross.)

Anyway, back on topic... I'd like you to consider more details in your assessment of the situation. You are only mentioning the luggage weight when you advise that it would be better on the bags.  Well, duh! I know that, even without my previous knowledge of Statics and Dynamics  ;D

My question is taking into account the weight of the luggage (15lbs give or take) which is the same, regarless if bags or trunk is used, AND the weight of the actual container, which is trunk OR saddlebags, capiche?

So, in essence: what is best:

saddlebags plus 15lbs lower or 15lbs + trunk mounted higher?

Consider for your in depth calculations that the trunk weighs as much as one bag.

<snip>

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2011, 09:23:05 PM »

Now about your underwear: as I remember, you are from Brazil. I have seen photos of the folks on the beach at Rio de Janeiro. Assuming your (Brazilian) underwear is similar in design to your swimwear, as most societies' underwear is, then I have to say that I do not believe you have 15 lbs. of underwear. In fact, it would seem that no 10 Brazilians put together have had 15 lbs. of underwear in their entire collective lives. I believe you could put all of your underwear in the glove box and have room left for a garage door opener and a wallet. A big wallet. So your whole post is moot. <ROFLMAO three times>

Brian

:yikes:

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2011, 11:19:19 PM »
you are too kind, man. I was completely joking. I am guilty myself of bragging about dragging parts...sometimes unintentionally. Of course, the whole body positioning and corner lines thing are true, but I was just giving mainly SteveWFL a hard time, for humor sakes only. I was hoping the smiley faces would convey the tone, but it didn't. And plus, don't apologize if you are riding around dragging pegs! It's not a crime!  8)

This is all good for 2 main reasons:

1) he deserves it
2) he's used to it

But I wasn't bragging on "me", its the bike's/tire's mad capabilites, not mine that allow for the handling
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2011, 03:41:37 AM »
I was apologizing for coming off as a cocky "young" rider (that is how I thought you took it).  I don't drag pegs just to hear em' scrape, I look at it this way, I paid for my tires and I'll be danged if I don't try to wear them out from edge to edge.  I'm not an adrenalin junkie (well maybe a little ;)) but instead I am a tightwad that likes to get the most I can, out of everything I buy.  ;D

Jeremy, I take yours as a very responsible, eco friendly, tree hugging, laudable attitude. In these times of saving our planet's resources (remember the 3 Rs: reuse, recycle, reduce) using the complete profile of your tire, from left to right, before changing them, is the way to go  ;D No way you're bragging, man!
Now, Steve...
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline RiderRich

« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2011, 05:23:45 AM »
I often run my trunk without sidebags because for some reason the bike "does" feel more light and nimble to me like that...

But I usually have much less than 15 lbs in the trunk, if I were going on a trip I would probably run the side bags just to have more available space to use for whatever, water etc.

Either way I don't think it would really make that big of difference IMO, the trunks not like a 100 lb passenger.

Have a fun trip Haroldo, oh and that looks like a fun corner in your original post.  :thumbs:

Good looking motorcycle. I like black, but I avoid owning them. (show too much)  But that is a nice looking motorcycle. That exhaust looks so much better than what comes on the Concours. I'm surprised that Kawasaki didn't do this on the Concours. The ZX14 has two pipes and it looks good.
2005 Concours

Offline Haroldo_PSF

« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2011, 08:44:19 AM »
Haroldo, I did not even realize how much I missed our repartee. Too much fun.  ;D

But to answer your question honestly, I just do not know. Too many variables really to make any kind of assessment in my opinion. My gut reaction is still that it would be better to place any appreciable mass in the saddlebags but that is just a guess. I do think that you could find out which is better quite quickly if you exaggerate the situation and try it both ways; take two pieces of 20 lb. ballast (anything including raw meat if you want), put them in the top box and go for a ride. After a bit, move each weight into one saddlebag and continue the ride; my bet is that the weight will 'feel' better on the bike in the saddlebags. At least this is not an embarrassing experiment like that 'tape a garbage bag over the exhaust' one was.  ;D ;D

Brian

I read this last night, and showed it to my wife because I just had to. We were rolling laughing. I can't begin to tell you how spot on you are on this!

I was going to post a picture of me in my natural habitat (i.e. hairy guy in speedos holding a beer at the beach in Brazil), but I thought that I might scar some people for life, and that image might get stuck in their minds forever, causing irreversible phsycological problems.

Touche, Brian!  :rotflmao:

EDIT: I just changed my mind about the picture.

Offline okxd45

« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2011, 11:26:49 AM »
MUST..........NOT.........LOOK.........AT.........PICTURE!...............ugh I did. :o
Jeff
"Look like the innocent flower, but be the serpent under 't." Macbeth Quote (Act I, Scene V).
"I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. Therefore be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves." (Matthew 10:16 NIV)

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2011, 11:55:23 AM »
I go on long trips with a T-bag attached to the passenger back rest and don't really notice it at all on the C14. I also have a DR650 that I do some adventure riding with camping gear. At first I piled everything on top and strapped it down (see pic). Since then I made panniers from large ammo cans and carry the same gear but put everything but the sleeping bag and pad in the panniers. Same weight but lower CG. In fact probably higher weight with the cans. That made all the difference in the world on how the bike handled especially off road. Far superior with the lower CG.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2011, 03:18:27 PM »
ROFLMAO!

Too funny. But that photo isn't bad, I was really talking about those people wearing bathing suits that look like they were made from dental floss and a box of Band Aids....  Even that might be OK until you see them being worn by old, overweight people. It is a retina burning experience, and I am scaring myself just thinking about it.

;D

I am just glad we didn't ruin this thread.  ::)

Seriously though, great to see you back again. Glad you are still riding that Kawi too.

Brian

I read this last night, and showed it to my wife because I just had to. We were rolling laughing. I can't begin to tell you how spot on you are on this!

I was going to post a picture of me in my natural habitat (i.e. hairy guy in speedos holding a beer at the beach in Brazil), but I thought that I might scar some people for life, and that image might get stuck in their minds forever, causing irreversible phsycological problems.

Touche, Brian!  :rotflmao:

EDIT: I just changed my mind about the picture.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2011, 03:52:27 PM »
I go on long trips with a T-bag attached to the passenger back rest and don't really notice it at all on the C14. I also have a DR650 that I do some adventure riding with camping gear. At first I piled everything on top and strapped it down (see pic). Since then I made panniers from large ammo cans and carry the same gear but put everything but the sleeping bag and pad in the panniers. Same weight but lower CG. In fact probably higher weight with the cans. That made all the difference in the world on how the bike handled especially off road. Far superior with the lower CG.

NICE!
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Barry

• Arena
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2011, 04:00:10 PM »
@OP...

On the street, top case vs. side bags is not an issue.  You are thinking too hard on this.  RIDE.
Tail of the Dragon at Deal's Gap... Avoid it now, do a trackday.

Area P full exhaust, PC-V, Autotune, filter, flys out.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2011, 07:31:52 AM »
That exhaust looks so much better than what comes on the Concours. I'm surprised that Kawasaki didn't do this on the Concours.

See, ZG, I didn't say a word!!!   ;)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline cRAsH

« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2011, 07:53:09 AM »
and forgot to mention the rear tire was PLUGGED.  No matter how high/heavy you load the bike, you won't ride past the limits of the PR3s. Unless you lay it down or you're Valentino Rossi.

I wonder what kind of tires that Valentino fella would recommend these days?
rokhaul is a lying scam artist

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2011, 09:24:54 AM »
See, ZG, I didn't say a word!!!   ;)

:rotflmao:   :thumbs: