Author Topic: 1009 mile ride report  (Read 18329 times)

Offline Blown32

1009 mile ride report
« on: November 03, 2015, 07:05:13 PM »
Well let me start out by saying I love this bike! 

Just eclipsed 1000 miles on the way home tonight.  Weather is taking a turn so I might not get any rides in for a bit.

Did I say I love this bike, well I do.  I also have some observations and favorite mods (so far).  I'll start with the few cons I have found, here goes.

CONS:

- The whole key fob thing an annoying, gimmicky, and useless thing on a motorcycle (I know, there likely folks on here that love it)
  -- Have to carry a bulky fob instead of a nice small key
  -- Have to use the key to get in the bag so not only do I have to carry the fob, I have to disassemble the key to open the fuel cap (already fixed that) or bags
  -- Sometimes I have to push in the "key" a couple/three times to get it to work, yeah this will be a long term maintenance nightmare 
  -- Good example of "just because you can do something doesn't mean you should"
  -- If there was a simple/easy way to remove it and install a standard key I'd be all over it

- Really don't like the linked brakes, I can live with them but would rather they not be there
  -- Sure, folks who grew up on cruisers may tend to depend on the rear brake (excessively for a bike with this geometry) but I'm more of a sport/performance standard kind of guy and would prefer to do it myself

- Tire pressure monitors again, I can live with them but would rather they not be there
  -- I'd much rather have a 90 degree (easy to access) standard valve stem
  -- I get it, some folks tend to ignore regular maintenance/vehicle checks but I don't and would prefer less complexity

PROS and favorite mods:

- Great overall package that fits my needs/desires to a T, well almost thus all the mods  ;D

- Power is very good, looking forward to exhaust system/PC V/Auto Tune install and doing a fly-ectomy as more power is better

- MPG is ok, could always be better but I'll take HP over MPG just about any day

- Smooth shifting and pretty darn good gearing (good thing as shaft drive makes changing that a challenge)

- Sure don't miss messy chain lube (though other bikes are chain so I'll appreciate it every time I lube and/or adjust the chains)

- Factory seat is pretty darn good but the modular Corbin is great (wife likes it better as well)

- Favorite mod to date is the Corbin smuggler mainly because I can leave it unlocked if I want to and not have to dig the darn key out of the fob to access storage (did I say I don't like the fob?)

- 1/4 turn fuel cap is great, mainly because I don't have to dig the darn key out of the fob to open it (did I say I don't like the fob?)

- 2" risers are good, looking forward to trying the wedges

- Lowered rider and passenger pegs are a nice change

- Really like my short (2 finger) brake lever/mid length clutch lever

And finally, under the category of why in the heck didn't the bike come with this:

- Automotive like cruse control
  -- The dollars (yen?) they spent on the stupid key fob deal (did I say I don't like the fob?) could have been applied to something useful
  -- Mama Kawasaki already has it (Voyager 1700 has it and it works great)

So, first 1000 miles have been great.  I've been through a bunch of bikes over the years and most don't hang around long but I believe this one has already earned a long term parking space, likely between ZRX1200r bookends.

P.S. Did I remember to say anything about how I don't like the KIPASS or maybe that it should have cruise control?

In all seriousness, those two items almost drove me to a FJR but big green has a strong hold on me.  First 1000 miles confirms I made the correct choice.

Current 2 wheel rides:
2014 Councours 14, 2003 ZRX1200r, 2001 ZRX1200r, 1994 KLR 650, 1985 Eliminator 900 (will sell in the spring)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: 1009 mile ride report
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2015, 09:19:38 PM »
Glad you like it!

As you will discover from the forum, the Kipass system really isn't as bad as it seems if you use a different approach (and don't fight it).  For example, put the active fob in your zippered jacket pocket and forget about it... have a regular key made for the bags (or if you don't care about them being locked, put in keyknobs and that problem is solved).  Oh, and you don't have to disassemble the fob to use a key for the bags anyway, you can use the stovekey knob if you really want (although I don't recommend that).   For the most part linked brakes are no big whoop, just put it on low linking mode and it will remember that and you can mostly just not worry about it.  You can put a 90 degree adapter on the stems.  And the TPS can come in handy, even though they will need replacement eventually.  Cruise you can add if you really want it.

Compared to the FJR- on the C14 you can add cruise and adapt to Kipass (and eventually maybe even like it).  But on the FJR, you won't have a three year warranty and can't add up to 6 more, can't add the power, and can't add a 6th gear :)  You did make the correct choice!  ;)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2015, 05:34:20 AM »

Just eclipsed 1000 miles on the way home tonight.  Weather is taking a turn so I might not get any rides in for a bit.

Did I say I love this bike, well I do.  I also have some observations and favorite mods (so far).  I'll start with the few cons I have found, here goes.

CONS:

- The whole key fob thing an annoying, gimmicky, and useless thing on a motorcycle (I know, there likely folks on here that love it)

So do you only carry one key for your vehicles?  I have several 'sets' of keys for all my vehicles.  I don't have just one.  Every vehicle has a fob along with assorted keys for the house and other locks.  I jingle when I walk.  My dad jingled when he walked as well.  If it were a traditional bike with a primitive key, I would still have at minimum several keys on a ring.  I don't think I've ever carried just one key around in my entire lifetime.  My Prius uses a similar fob to the bike in that I don't have to take it out of my pocket.  Have to press a button to start it.  While you may not like 'keyless' technology on the bike, it's become ubiquitous on vehicles.  It's the wave of the future, like it or not.  My fob is actually on a separate ring by itself, on a chain, attached to a belt loop.  It ain't going nowhere.  It never comes out of my pocket.

-- Have to use the key to get in the bag so not only do I have to carry the fob, I have to disassemble the key to open the fuel cap (already fixed that) or bags

Get a spare key made and carry it on a separate ring.  My ring carries a key that opens the tank, unlocks the seat, and unlocks the cases.  It also has keys to unlock the top case and the helmet holder on the license plate.  It also carries the tool to open the rear drive and the oil filler.  I very rarely use the key in the ignition as it's easily bent .

-- Sometimes I have to push in the "key" a couple/three times to get it to work, yeah this will be a long term maintenance nightmare

It hasn't been a maintenance nightmare for me or for others, otherwise we would have dumped the bike years ago.  If you are having to push it in several times to get it to recognize the fob, take it into a dealer and get them to fix it.  It ain't normal for that to happen.  Hold their feet to the fire.  You have a 2014 bike, it's under warranty.  I am surprised, though, that it's happening to a 2014.

I don't agree with that and I like the technology.  It's what drew me to the bike in the first place.  If you did the research, why did you buy the bike?

-- If there was a simple/easy way to remove it and install a standard key I'd be all over it

There isn't.

- Really don't like the linked brakes, I can live with them but would rather they not be there
  -- Sure, folks who grew up on cruisers may tend to depend on the rear brake (excessively for a bike with this geometry) but I'm more of a sport/performance standard kind of guy and would prefer to do it myself

I can't find fault with that.  Kawasaki came out in 2007 and said that they purposely did not link the brakes because of performance issues, yet in 2010 they came out with the very function they poo pooed in 2007.  I don't understand that.  There is a low and high level of linking.  Have you tried the low level?

- Tire pressure monitors again, I can live with them but would rather they not be there

I've got 90 degree valve stems on mine but they changed the TPM sensors and the new ones don't have that ability.  You may or may not have the new sensors.  Again, this is what drew me to the bike.  All vehicles are getting them now.  I have had more trouble with the sensors on my daughters Nissans than I've had with the bike.  At least with mine, I can change the batteries without going to the dealer.  I also have the screen on tire pressure up all the time.  I like them and would not get another vehicle that did not have some kind of TPMS.

-- I get it, some folks tend to ignore regular maintenance/vehicle checks but I don't and would prefer less complexity

I'm not sure I understand that statement.   What do you consider complex about the maintenance on this bike?

I had issues with the ignition switch early on (2007) and made the decision to get Brian's KIPASS BYPASS.  Haven't had to use it.  Also carry a K-Hammer just in case.  Haven't had to use that either.  If the system was so bad, why did Kwackers continue to use it?  Could be it's a plot to drive the rest of the world crazy.  If so, it hasn't worked.  The linked brakes have been modified, I think, on the 15 models.  Someone should chime in about that hopefully.

I really like this low tech 2008 and will continue to ride it until I can't ride it anymore.  It's my last bike.  I don't want any other one.  If fulfills all my needs and yes it has a few quirks and the riders are a bit loopy but what the heck...  I'm sure other brands have different issues as well.  At least I know about these.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Blown32

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2015, 05:42:10 AM »
It may take a while for me to accept the borg assimilation of key fob ignitions.  I've had a couple of rental cars that had fob systems and didn't care for that application either.  Sure it may be "cool tech" but it's (at least to me) tech for the sake of tech and serves no useful purpose.  It's one of the many, many overly complicated systems on new vehicles that I don't need or want.  As a guy that likes to keep things long term and do maintenance/repairs most all such systems are post warranty/long term issues waiting to happen.  Additionally they add needless cost, weight, and complication to our beloved toys.

Ok, rant over   ;D

Even on it's low setting the linked braking is still intrusive.  I'll get used to it, it's not such a bad thing other than the aforementioned needless cost, weight, and complication.  I'm pretty sure it will feel a bit odd going from bike to bike (with & without) but again, not a big deal.

Current 2 wheel rides:
2014 Councours 14, 2003 ZRX1200r, 2001 ZRX1200r, 1994 KLR 650, 1985 Eliminator 900 (will sell in the spring)

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2015, 06:02:54 AM »
There's a perfectly good and functional key in the ignition that opens everything.

Offline Blown32

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2015, 06:04:27 AM »

CONS:

So do you only carry one key for your vehicles?  I have several 'sets' of keys for all my vehicles.  I don't have just one.  Every vehicle has a fob along with assorted keys for the house and other locks.  I jingle when I walk.  My dad jingled when he walked as well.  If it were a traditional bike with a primitive key, I would still have at minimum several keys on a ring.  I don't think I've ever carried just one key around in my entire lifetime.  My Prius uses a similar fob to the bike in that I don't have to take it out of my pocket.  Have to press a button to start it.  While you may not like 'keyless' technology on the bike, it's become ubiquitous on vehicles.  It's the wave of the future, like it or not.  My fob is actually on a separate ring by itself, on a chain, attached to a belt loop.  It ain't going nowhere.  It never comes out of my pocket.

Yep, one key per vehicle, way too many toys to carry them all together  :o  House and shop have cipher locks so no need to have a house key on each ring.   

Get a spare key made and carry it on a separate ring.  My ring carries a key that opens the tank, unlocks the seat, and unlocks the cases.  It also has keys to unlock the top case and the helmet holder on the license plate.  It also carries the tool to open the rear drive and the oil filler.  I very rarely use the key in the ignition as it's easily bent .

That's exactly my point, if I have to carry another key anyway why the fob?  I know, everyone has their personal preference/tastes mine tend to the KISS principal.

It hasn't been a maintenance nightmare for me or for others, otherwise we would have dumped the bike years ago.  If you are having to push it in several times to get it to recognize the fob, take it into a dealer and get them to fix it.  It ain't normal for that to happen.  Hold their feet to the fire.  You have a 2014 bike, it's under warranty.  I am surprised, though, that it's happening to a 2014.

Thanks, I'll have them check it out.

I don't agree with that and I like the technology.  It's what drew me to the bike in the first place.  If you did the research, why did you buy the bike?

Yep, did my research, rode most of the options and like I said it mostly came down to the FJR and the C14.  Overall I much prefer the C14, just like those two features of the FJR better but that didn't make it a better choice in my book

There isn't.

Bummer, figured as much

I can't find fault with that.  Kawasaki came out in 2007 and said that they purposely did not link the brakes because of performance issues, yet in 2010 they came out with the very function they poo pooed in 2007.  I don't understand that.  There is a low and high level of linking.  Have you tried the low level?

Yep, low level from mile zero, (did my research and even read the owners manual before traveling to pick up the bike).  Minor thing, just would rather not have it but it's ok as is.

I've got 90 degree valve stems on mine but they changed the TPM sensors and the new ones don't have that ability.  You may or may not have the new sensors.  Again, this is what drew me to the bike.  All vehicles are getting them now.  I have had more trouble with the sensors on my daughters Nissans than I've had with the bike.  At least with mine, I can change the batteries without going to the dealer.  I also have the screen on tire pressure up all the time.  I like them and would not get another vehicle that did not have some kind of TPMS.

I'm not sure I understand that statement.   What do you consider complex about the maintenance on this bike?

So far maintenance has been simple and easy (we will see when I get the the valve check but that looks pretty straight forward as well)  When I refer to complexity I'm talking about additional systems that I personally (I'm not drawn to tech) would rather not have on a vehicle, like you said it's the way of the future so I'll have to get used to it

I had issues with the ignition switch early on (2007) and made the decision to get Brian's KIPASS BYPASS.  Haven't had to use it.  Also carry a K-Hammer just in case.  Haven't had to use that either.  If the system was so bad, why did Kwackers continue to use it?  Could be it's a plot to drive the rest of the world crazy.  If so, it hasn't worked.  The linked brakes have been modified, I think, on the 15 models.  Someone should chime in about that hopefully.

I really like this low tech 2008 and will continue to ride it until I can't ride it anymore.  It's my last bike.  I don't want any other one.  If fulfills all my needs and yes it has a few quirks and the riders are a bit loopy but what the heck...  I'm sure other brands have different issues as well.  At least I know about these.

Thanks for the tip on the bypass, sounds like good insurance! 

Everyone, please don't take my KIPASS rant as if I'm peeing all over this great bike.  I'm sure I'll come to accept it but, for my taste, I'd rather it be cruise control (have I mentioned that?  ;D)  Like I said I love it and am very glad it's in my lineup
Current 2 wheel rides:

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2015, 06:18:05 AM »
There's a perfectly good and functional key in the ignition that opens everything.

Don't tell him that.  He'll believe you.  Every time someone takes that key out it reverbs throughout the known and unknown universe and a star winks out.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2015, 06:20:29 AM »
Don't tell him that.  He'll believe you.  Every time someone takes that key out it reverbs throughout the known and unknown universe and a star winks out.
  Oops, hasn't he got his decoder ring and secret handshake yet?

Offline Blown32

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2015, 06:26:27 AM »

Ok, I get it you guys love the KIPASS system, so last rant and I'll shut up and color  ;D

Yep, there is a key in the ignition but you still have to have the fob to access it so it seams to me (again apparently just to me) that a standard key ignition would be simpler and just as functional.

"Oops, hasn't he got his decoder ring and secret handshake yet?"

Wait, now I want a decoder ring!    At least the handshake is analog, wait a darn second, as this is an on-line forum it must be digital.  Outstanding, more tech for me  ;D

Current 2 wheel rides:

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2015, 06:28:41 AM »
As far as I know from anecdotal evidence, the more complex systems such as computers, ABS, and Traction control, have not been troublesome.  There is no maintenance to them and they don't affect normal maintenance.   TPMS has caused some issues with tire installers breaking the sensors or the batteries going dead in the original ones.  The problem with low batteries causes the screen to scream at you that the sensor batteries are low (you see this more in cold weather).  This is easily fixed by replacing the batteries yourself or if under warranty getting Kwackers to replace them.  Unfortunately with that remedy you get the new ones and they don't have an easy method yet to change the batteries out.

One of my big hang ups with the bike is the screen takeover of the warning messages.  I didn't like it in 2007 and I still don't like it now.  The screen can be cleared but it's a PITA.  I have Brian's low fuel remedy for the low fuel warning so that's gone.  I wish they would just set a warning light instead of taking over the screen.

Offline Blown32

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2015, 06:35:41 AM »
As far as I know from anecdotal evidence, the more complex systems such as computers, ABS, and Traction control, have not been troublesome.  There is no maintenance to them and they don't affect normal maintenance.   TPMS has caused some issues with tire installers breaking the sensors or the batteries going dead in the original ones.  The problem with low batteries causes the screen to scream at you that the sensor batteries are low (you see this more in cold weather).  This is easily fixed by replacing the batteries yourself or if under warranty getting Kwackers to replace them.  Unfortunately with that remedy you get the new ones and they don't have an easy method yet to change the batteries out.

One of my big hang ups with the bike is the screen takeover of the warning messages.  I didn't like it in 2007 and I still don't like it now.  The screen can be cleared but it's a PITA.  I have Brian's low fuel remedy for the low fuel warning so that's gone.  I wish they would just set a warning light instead of taking over the screen.

Agreed, generally trouble free for quite some time. 

My ZX14 has the same screen "feature" (warning taking over the screen).  Didn't care for it on the ZX either.

Over all minor peeves to a great bike.  Of course we all (ok, most of us) modify the things we can to suite our preferences.  Got to love the strong aftermarket following this bike has, gives us lots of options!

Current 2 wheel rides:

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2015, 07:20:17 AM »
I have a neutral stance on the kipass system as it has neither caused any problems nor generated any feelings of euphoria. I leave the fob in the tank bag unless I'm in a questionable area and use the ignition key as normal non-paranoid persons do.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2015, 07:47:30 AM »
There's something wrong in being paranoid?

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2015, 08:58:32 AM »
Wholly Cloning Batman! We used to have a different 'you' on this forum and as I remember, he slightly disliked KiPass as well.... he also mentioned it once in a while. It is now nearly 10 years later though and I do not think you will have the same impact or 'animated responders' as the other gentleman. No matter, welcome to the forum and keep up the good work with  the hating!    ;) ;D

Brian

CONS:

<snip>

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline PH14

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2015, 09:20:42 AM »
Ok, I get it you guys love the KIPASS system, so last rant and I'll shut up and color  ;D

Yep, there is a key in the ignition but you still have to have the fob to access it so it seams to me (again apparently just to me) that a standard key ignition would be simpler and just as functional.

Don't worry, there are others who feel as you do. I prefer a key as well, but it starts my bike and I can ride it. If you don't get into the bags often, it isn't a big deal. I prefer simplicity though and KIPASS is a solution to a problem that didn't exist. It does work though, and I have had no issues with mine, a 2009.

Offline FZBear10

« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2015, 09:22:09 AM »

Not just you, I would prefer just a key also, but I love the bike regardless.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2015, 01:41:53 PM »
The mad pow-ah of KiPass is the only reason my bike has >109,000 miles on it and never evah left me walkin'. I never bought into the radiator protection, "pinning" bags, expensive oils, and a host of other measures suggested to me for this bike.  I always had the faith in the "KiPass".

For those not in the know, all the mad pow-ah resides in the FOB

At 200,000 miles when I'm parting my C14 bike out on the fleabay, I'll be smiling at those who knocked the KiPass
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2015, 02:18:06 PM »
 :rotflmao:

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2015, 02:50:25 PM »
Disclaimer: Steve always keeps a fresh battery in his FOB  ;)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2015, 04:20:36 PM »
Even on it's low setting the linked braking is still intrusive.  I'll get used to it, it's not such a bad thing other than the aforementioned needless cost, weight, and complication.  I'm pretty sure it will feel a bit odd going from bike to bike (with & without) but again, not a big deal.

Actually, for link brakes, I believe there is no additional cost and minimum complication.  It is something they built right into the ABS system.   I just don't understand why Kawasaki didn't make it high/low/off.   Now Kipass- that did add cost for sure.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc