Author Topic: What's this part and where does it go?  (Read 3719 times)

Offline PlaynInPeoria

What's this part and where does it go?
« on: July 28, 2013, 02:30:41 PM »
Pulled my tank and this came off at some point. I have no idea where it goes, help!  Yes, I'm dumb.

Thanks!
2012 "root beer" C14 - unlinked brakes, reflash, LED headlights, Walmart orange city lights, LOUD horn, Laam seat, radar detector for ahem, reasons.
2013 Aprilia Tuono, 2009 CRF-150F

Offline PlaynInPeoria

Re: What's this part and where does it go?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2013, 03:34:32 PM »
Never mind. It used to hold the brake lines that went from the rear brake to the ABS unit, which I removed.

I just bolted the tank back on and inspected it all and fired it up. No errors, so I took it for a nice slow ride down my street. As expected, no ABS in the rear, ABS in the front is fine (checked in my gravel driveway) and traction control works fine. Now to bolt on the fairings etc and take a longer ride.

Note: my mod was done by removing the rear lines from the ABS unit as RandyN did, but I tried to be more 'stock' and instead of connecting the rear master cylinder to the caliper with a Galfer line, I pitched both lines and plugged the ABS unit and swapped in a line from a 2010 non-ABS rear brake. Sounded great but the line doesn't run as well as I expected. It seems functional but is not as clean as I had hoped. I may do it differently over the winter but for now, so far, so good.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 09:52:53 PM by PlaynInPeoria »
2012 "root beer" C14 - unlinked brakes, reflash, LED headlights, Walmart orange city lights, LOUD horn, Laam seat, radar detector for ahem, reasons.

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2013, 04:06:40 PM »
Is this one of those infamous deleteds?
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline PlaynInPeoria

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2013, 04:35:18 PM »
Well ****, now I have another part that I have no clue where it goes.  Guess  I shouldn't have left it apart for so long while riding my other bikes.  So what the hell are these?

Looks like it goes around the rear of the tank?  Not sure where, hmmm.

Offline PlaynInPeoria

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2013, 05:31:40 PM »
Um, OK they just kinda sit on the back edge of the tank. Wow.

Offline PH14

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2013, 05:34:55 PM »
Look at it this way, you are shaving weight off the bike. Disassemble it a few more times and it will be super lightweight!
 :finger_fing11:

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2013, 05:46:00 PM »
Hey, you found my dilithium crystals!
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

jirod

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2013, 05:59:08 PM »
They are glued to the frame with duble-sticky tape.  It dries up and they fall off. You can reinstall them with rubber cement (contact cement).  Note the 'FRONT' markings on the parts. See the attached pdf.

Offline PlaynInPeoria

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2013, 09:52:16 PM »
OK well, those were embarrassing.  But it's all bolted up and ridable and I only busted one little clip thing. 

And the brakes are unlinked, woo hoo!!!

Offline Conrad

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2013, 04:36:28 AM »
Well ****, now I have another part that I have no clue where it goes.  Guess  I shouldn't have left it apart for so long while riding my other bikes.  So what the hell are these?

Looks like it goes around the rear of the tank?  Not sure where, hmmm.

[smg id=418]
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline PlaynInPeoria

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2013, 07:22:39 AM »
Thanks for the help, guys!

Offline PH14

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2013, 07:28:26 AM »
Hey, you found my dilithium crystals!

:rotflmao:

I always wondered why they never stocked up. It is like they found some crystals, contemplated them and then said, "We'll just take one."

Offline reesedp

• Sail Army
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2013, 11:55:08 AM »
I'm in a rare, kinda serious mood today, so I will pass along that now my brain seems full of more useful/less trivia and knowledge, and I often forget the little things.  This is why I absolutely ADORE my phone.  If I am in territory even remotely unfamiliar (IE riding anything other that the fastest color, Neutron Silver), I will often snap a quick picture of each step for reference.  I cannot accurately tell you how often this has helped me figure out some frustratingly simple something or other that had me throwing tools and cursing like the sailor I am. 

Offline tonedeaf

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2013, 08:07:55 PM »
I'm in a rare, kinda serious mood today, so I will pass along that now my brain seems full of more useful/less trivia and knowledge, and I often forget the little things.  This is why I absolutely ADORE my phone.  If I am in territory even remotely unfamiliar (IE riding anything other that the fastest color, Neutron Silver), I will often snap a quick picture of each step for reference.  I cannot accurately tell you how often this has helped me figure out some frustratingly simple something or other that had me throwing tools and cursing like the sailor I am.

I sometimes scares me how many things in my life have been made simpler/better/less annoying/etc. thanks to my smart phone. And I am way too old to be so addicted to a gadget!!!!