Author Topic: "Transponder missing" error  (Read 19234 times)

Offline PlaynInPeoria

"Transponder missing" error
« on: May 19, 2013, 07:31:34 PM »
Lately I have been leaving the fob in the glovebox on my 2012, despite the sticker.  When riding, I kept getting a red light in the upper left and "Transponder missing" or something. I took the transponder out of the glovebox and it went away.

Why did I get this?

Why aren't you supposed to put the transponder in the glovebox?
2012 "root beer" C14 - unlinked brakes, reflash, LED headlights, Walmart orange city lights, LOUD horn, Laam seat, radar detector for ahem, reasons.
2013 Aprilia Tuono, 2009 CRF-150F

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: "Transponder missing" error
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2013, 07:54:29 PM »
Why is the sky blue?  These and other questions are hard to answer.  However, it could be that the signal is being blocked (tinfoil lined glovebox?) or that it's being jammed by some farkle or foreign country.   Maybe the fob battery is low as well. 
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline zx12-iowa

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2013, 09:29:39 PM »
Lately I have been leaving the fob in the glovebox on my 2012, despite the sticker.  When riding, I kept getting a red light in the upper left and "Transponder missing" or something. I took the transponder out of the glovebox and it went away.

Why did I get this?

I get this if i put other stuff in glovebox like my phone or if it gets covered in a bunch of earplugs, etc wadded up in there.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2013, 09:38:27 PM »

1) Because it can have interference.
2) Because it is designed to be in your jacket or pants pocket.
3) Because you can forget about it and leave your bike completely open for theft.
4) Because if the electronic latch fails, you can't access the fob.

We just had this thread not even a week ago.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Cuda

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2013, 09:41:21 PM »
Why is the sky blue?

It's the the damm molecules again!
Molecules in the air scatter blue light from the sun more than they scatter red light.  When we look towards the sun at sunset, we see red and orange colours because the blue light has been scattered out and away from the line of sight.

Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2013, 10:17:11 PM »
1) Because it can have interference.
2) Because it is designed to be in your jacket or pants pocket.
3) Because you can forget about it and leave your bike completely open for theft.
4) Because if the electronic latch fails, you can't access the fob.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ;D
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline C1xRider

• Where did all the posts go?!??
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2013, 12:28:29 AM »
Why did I get this?

Because the gas tank gets in the way?

Because anyone can steal the bike if you forget it's in there and walk away?

Did I win?
--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250

Offline Conrad

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2013, 04:47:51 AM »
Because the gas tank gets in the way?

Did I win?

Yes, yes you did win! Collect your prize here.  http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=13741.msg169564#msg169564
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2013, 04:52:49 AM »

Wow, must have 20 forum years ago.  I really don't remember that one...
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2013, 05:49:37 AM »
Wow, must have 20 forum years ago.  I really don't remember that one...

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=13676.0

Last activity: 5 days from the start of THIS thread.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Spikey01

• Badgers? We don't need no steenking Badgers!
    • Michael Hamilton Web Design
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2013, 07:58:11 AM »
Electronic ignition systems are the work of the devil. God's own bike has a $3 metal key. And he got 2 duplicates made at Home Depot, and hides 1 taped inside his saddlebag, for the inevitable "brain fade" episode.
Michael Hamilton

...and Bob's your uncle.

Offline PlaynInPeoria

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2013, 08:51:07 AM »

Odd of someone stealing a JAPANESE bike in Peoria IL?  Very low, to say the least. 

Odds of me being dumb enough to forget it somewhere or otherwise hose myself?  Several orders of magnitude higher.

Most aren't smart enough to figure out the fob thing, or just plain don't care.  I have been living under the assumption that the effort saved by not securing things will at some point outweigh the inconvenience of losing said thing.  If I go through life like this, at some point, it's a win and every day I don't have to dick with locking something up that most likely won't get stolen, I am ahead of the game and avoid the aggravation.  See above, I live in the Peoria IL area, so there are not a ton of thieves relatively speaking and those that steal don't steal Japanese. YMMV.  I also figure that most people think motorcyclists are just plain crazy and messing with a motorcyclist's stuff is akin to Russian roulette or the like.  Again, just one man's opinion.

See, there IS an advantage to living in Illinois.  54 years and I finally found one!

And yeah, I should have searched.
2012 "root beer" C14 - unlinked brakes, reflash, LED headlights, Walmart orange city lights, LOUD horn, Laam seat, radar detector for ahem, reasons.
2013 Aprilia Tuono, 2009 CRF-150F

Offline PH14

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2013, 08:57:11 AM »
Electronic ignition systems are the work of the devil. God's own bike has a $3 metal key. And he got 2 duplicates made at Home Depot, and hides 1 taped inside his saddlebag, for the inevitable "brain fade" episode.

:chugbeer: :goodpost: :finger_fing11:

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2013, 09:05:34 AM »
That all may be true but I think to really eliminate the devil's work you need to ride a mule. Think about it for a moment and I believe you will find it the perfect mode of transportation for those with brain fade.... not only are there no electronics or pesky keys of any kind, the mule even knows the way home! It can even find 'fuel' by the side of the road (or path as the case may be). I think you folks limit yourselves too much when thinking about the 'good old days'- think about even older days and things were considerably better.

Brian

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2013, 10:50:35 AM »
See, there IS an advantage to living in Illinois.  54 years and I finally found one!

So that's how long it takes. I tried twice and couldn't find it. I'm glad I gave up and left.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2013, 12:35:55 PM »

54 years eh? Hey, me too! Well, for a few more days anyways.     8)
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline katata1100

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2013, 02:36:41 PM »
Maybe the op wants to keep the transponder in the glove box because when he stops to refuel, he doesn't want to search all 20 pockets of his riding suit to find the stupid fob.
In the old days (like my Katana) the key was always in the ignition keyhole at the top of the bike. Mine has a little Dolphin keychain from Del Sol so it changes color (to dark blue) in sunlight and when the sun goes down, back to clear.
Anyhow, I got an extra key for my C14 that I need to get "keyed" at the lock smith ( I think it was $14 from dealer). The next trip I take, key fob will stay in my coat, spare key will remain in tank until end of ride and the only thing in glove box will be a credit card.
That should remove any desire to  keep fob in glove box (not that i do).

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2013, 03:20:47 PM »
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=13676.0

Last activity: 5 days from the start of THIS thread.

Like I said, 20 forum years....

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2013, 05:36:30 AM »
I keep my passive key fob on my key chain with all my other keys.  I never travel without a backup way to access any of my bikes.  I have misplaced a key and chose to use the backup instead of spending too much time searching for the original, to later find it easily when not looking for it.

When I bought the bike I thought the KIPASS was just some gimmick, but then I remembered how many times I come out of a restaurant, put all my gear on and realize the key is still in my pocket so I have to take off my glove and stand up and fish into my pocket to find the key.  On the Connie it is just turn the bike on and go.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline chap

« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2013, 08:43:15 AM »

Why did I get this?

I was the one who posted this problem a few weeks ago. Have you solved it yet. Mine was the result of the LED Driving light controller causing interference. Could also be HID Headlights. Check your Transponder battery volts. Hope for 3.2v, anything under 3.0v repalce it.
Does your bike start with the Transponder in the Glove Box? If so the transponder is visible when the bike is not powered, something that is powered by the bike is causing it.
 My transponder worked fine in the glove box until I installed the LED Lights, so I would assume you have something causing interference.
2010 Concours ABS = Blue
2003 Concours - Red (sold)