Author Topic: Phils Handlebar Extenders info request  (Read 6339 times)

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
Phils Handlebar Extenders info request
« on: December 08, 2012, 05:08:30 PM »
I am going to install the 4" bar extenders from Phil and I wanted to start a thread with information and suggestions from members that have installed these.  Information such as brake/clutch lines and photographs would be helpful.  I will update the thread when I start my install.  Thanks for any contributions to the thread.

Offline Gsun

Re: Phils Handlebar Extenders info request
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2012, 06:08:54 PM »
I have Phil's extenders but they are 3 inch. I didn't know he had a 4 inch. I could not have kept the stock lines if they were any bigger. The hydraulic lines are at the limit and the electrical lines are too. I rerouted the electric lines to get more length and unscrewed the hydraulic lines from where they attach to the forks. I think they are great. It takes a while to adjust them to where you are comfortable.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2012, 07:46:40 PM »
Time to add some braided lines for Christmas TJ!  :thumbs: :chugbeer:

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=7815.msg94273#msg94273

Offline BudCallaghan

• Rider proficiency determines worth of horsepower
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2012, 09:15:53 AM »
I am going to install the 4" bar extenders from Phil and I wanted to start a thread with information and suggestions from members that have installed these.  Information such as brake/clutch lines and photographs would be helpful.  I will update the thread when I start my install.  Thanks for any contributions to the thread.
A bit more than two years ago I installed Phil's handlebar extenders to my '09 C-14.  I had previously installed two-inch risers that I decided to continue using.  The risers alone allowed me to retain the stock wiring and throttle cables as well as the brake and clutch lines.  However, the addition of Phil's extenders necessitated longer clutch and brake lines.  The stock wiring was long enough to reach and the stock throttle cables were barely able to reach provided they were re-routed to the rear of the fork stanchion. 

I did not replace the throttle cables when I installed the extenders because doing so involves removing nearly as many parts as it does to get to the valve covers when doing a valve adjustment.  Since I was still some 5,000 miles short of doing the first valve adjustment I decided to forego longer cables until I had the bike apart for the valve work and could afford the down time to allow for the week plus shipping time it took to get the throttle cables lengthened.  I rode the bike with no problems until I did the valve work and then I replaced the throttle cables with a pair that were 4-inches longer than stock and was able to route them in their standard locations.  One cannot simply purchase longer throttle cables as the fittings on the stock cables are made specifically for this bike and no one has access to fittings that match.  The only solution is to send your stock cables to a business that is able to remove those fittings and to use them on new and longer cables.  I employed Motion Pro as they do excellent work and as a bonus their price was also the lowest of those I queried.     

I replaced both the brake and clutch lines with standard (not braided) Galfer units.  The clutch hose installation is pretty straightforward, just follow the route of the stock item.  I can only direct you with replacement of the brake hose if your bike is equipped with ABS as mine is.  Without ABS I can only presume that you duplicate the route taken by the stock line.  However, with ABS there is a short hose from the brake master cylinder to the ABS attachment connecting it to a steel line to the ABS unit.  The hose going from the steel line from the ABS unit then connects to the hose going to the junction connecting it to the two hoses to the calipers.  As for the advice to upgrade to stainless braided lines, that is good advice from an appearance point of view.  All brands of braided lines are quality hydraulic hoses encased in the stainless braided covers that offer an excellent service life.  However, the unbraided Galfer hoses I used offer the same quality as the far more expensive braided items.  The stock Kawasaki hoses are also of that same quality and from a function standpoint there is really no need to replace them other than cosmetic or to change their length.  Therefore I chose to change just the line from the brake master cylinder to the ABS attachment connecting it to a steel line to the ABS unit.  I left the other hoses in place as they contain hardware fittings not present on the replacement items.  Replacing these lower lines will prove to be a hassle requiring a bit of fabrication.  My hydraulic hoses and my throttle cables were all extended 4-inches. 

Bear in mind that I am also using two inch risers that require a slightly longer reach for all of the replacement items.  My extenders from Phil are 4-inches also.  In addition to the handlebar expenders Phil also included the two hose clamps that attach to the top triple clamp.  The smaller of the two pictures below show them in a photo of Jay Wilcox's (ZG) bike that I copied from one of his posts.  I couldn't use the one from Phil on the brake side as it brought the hose too far to the inside so I just made one of the appropriate size that placed the hose in the proper place and also changed its angle for a perfect fit.  You can see it in the larger photo below.     

I hope this helps you in your quest for greater comfort.  I must say that the addition of the extenders from Phil did a great job of allowing me to ride in comfort.  They look peculiar as hell but are an example of his exemplary craftsmanship.  They don't affect the quality of the bike's handling but certainly do have a positive effect on the rider's level of comfort.  They surely have my enthusiastic endorsement.
Never let schooling interfere with your education or your ambition.

Offline C1xRider

• Where did all the posts go?!??
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2012, 10:05:46 AM »
Great info there Bud.  :goodpost:

My contribution right now would be to say don't forget where you put the stock riser bolts.  As soon as I find mine, I'll start on this project.    ???
--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250

Offline philipintexas

• Phils Farkels
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2012, 10:49:02 AM »
Let me add my 2 cents worth. I have a 2008 NON-ABS bike, I experimented with several length extenders and decided on 4" as optimal for myself, and, it's the longest length I can make in my new lathe. I also have Murph's wedges under the stanchions. The extenders lengthen the spread between bar ends and the wedges bring it back to almost the stock spread. I ordered 4" longer Galfer hoses but find that's too long and 3" would be correct for my configuration. The stock hoses allowed me to use 3" extenders just for testing but they were disconnected from the top-clamp and pulled tight. The electrical lines are fine, I just pulled out some slack. I re-routed the throttle cables from between the forks to behind the right fork and secured them with cable ties. At the time I was developing the extenders there was nothing available to do the job and I was looking for my own solution to the seating position. There are other solutions now but these may still fill a need.

Need a better luggage rack?  www.philsfarkels.com

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2012, 03:01:47 PM »
Time to add some braided lines for Christmas TJ!  :thumbs: :chugbeer:

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=7815.msg94273#msg94273

Trust me Jay, I have looked at your Cable thread more than a few times...

Offline BudCallaghan

• Rider proficiency determines worth of horsepower
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2012, 09:37:58 PM »
Let me add my 2 cents worth. I have a 2008 NON-ABS bike, I experimented with several length extenders and decided on 4" as optimal for myself, and, it's the longest length I can make in my new lathe. I also have Murph's wedges under the stanchions. The extenders lengthen the spread between bar ends and the wedges bring it back to almost the stock spread. I ordered 4" longer Galfer hoses but find that's too long and 3" would be correct for my configuration. The stock hoses allowed me to use 3" extenders just for testing but they were disconnected from the top-clamp and pulled tight. The electrical lines are fine, I just pulled out some slack. I re-routed the throttle cables from between the forks to behind the right fork and secured them with cable ties. At the time I was developing the extenders there was nothing available to do the job and I was looking for my own solution to the seating position. There are other solutions now but these may still fill a need.
Phil is correct, if you use his 4 inch extenders without risers then the correct increase in length would be 3 inches for the hydraulic hoses and also for the throttle cables if you choose to lengthen these also.  But if you choose to use the 2 inch risers and the 4-inch extenders you'll need a 4 inch increase in length. 

I must also mention that Phil is a trusting man.  Before he received a cent from me he sent a package containing both the three and the four inch extenders so I could determine which I wanted to use.  Without riding the bike, but by simply installing the 3 inch extenders and sitting on the bike and then doing the same with the 4 inch extenders I decided to use the 4 inch version.
I did this with and without the risers installed and determined that the most comfortable setup for me was to include the risers and use the 4 inch extenders.

I put the 3 inch extenders back in the box, threw in a check to pay for the four inch extenders and shipped it back to Phil.  I have also conversed with Phil on the phone several times and from these conversations and from my experience doing business with him I hold him in high regard, he's truly an admirable gentleman.

Never let schooling interfere with your education or your ambition.

Offline philipintexas

• Phils Farkels
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2012, 04:44:37 PM »
555ALPHA decided against using my extenders after trying a set. His decision was based on asthetics and he probably agrees with BudCallaghan's description of his set, "They look peculiar as hell". I'm always glad to get feedback and while I have to agree with Bud, I'm trying to improve the asthetics while keeping the same design. I'd never compromise strength but I have been testing a slimmed down version. Here's a photo of a new set that look pretty much the same, but are about .2" slimmer. They are not as pretty as Helibars concept but they may be a solution to some riders. If Helibar had been available earlier I'd have never had to make these.

Need a better luggage rack?  www.philsfarkels.com

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2012, 06:16:21 PM »
I will add that the construction and adjustment that these provide is OUTSTANDING.  If you are in need of a more affordable option to get comfortable than the 700.00 Heli's, then these will fill your needs.  Phil is a great guy to work with, he has helped me solve several problems with his knowledge and abilities.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2012, 08:18:02 PM »
Phil is a great guy to work with, he has helped me solve several problems with his knowledge and abilities.

+1...  :) :thumbs: :hail:

Offline att2008vn

• C14 2010 ABS
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2012, 09:02:33 PM »
I m a big fan of Phil.

His Rack is highly appreciated by all my friends and myself

I have his Bar Extender & Wedges, Phil also went further working out with Galfer for the hoses i needed.  As some said, the look of the Extender is not very techy but i like its performance.

I wonder if he has any other farkles :)

at

Offline pistole

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2012, 12:34:19 AM »
His Rack is highly appreciated by all my friends and myself

;D ;D