Author Topic: Can I mix a PR3 tire with a PR4 tire?  (Read 2828 times)

Offline katata1100

Can I mix a PR3 tire with a PR4 tire?
« on: March 23, 2014, 11:07:38 PM »
I want to get a new PR4 to replace my rear bald pr3. My PR3 front looks like it still has a lot of life on it. Is it safe?

Offline galaxieman

Re: Can I mix a PR3 tire with a PR4 tire?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2014, 12:30:39 AM »
No.  Send it to me before you suffer a catastrophic tire mismatch.

Seriously though, it's fine.  I generally ran through 2 rears per front before switching to the GT-spec Bridgestones.  Rears still wear out faster than the front, but not twice as fast like they used to.
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparat bellum.

Offline JS_racer

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2014, 03:54:08 AM »
...... the GT-spec Bridgestones.  ...........

the 023 or t30 ??
ran a bunch of sets of the 023gt, trying the t30 this year.

Offline BudCallaghan

• Rider proficiency determines worth of horsepower
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2014, 11:59:24 AM »
Neither you or your bike will know the difference.  The front and rear almost always wear at different rates.  I have always changed mine (riding motorcycles for 57 years) when they were worn out.  On my C14 there is currently a Dunlop on the rear and a Continental on the front, my other bikes also have mismatched tires purchased at different times with price the deciding factor when choosing between tires of equal abilities. 
Never let schooling interfere with your education or your ambition.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2014, 04:45:05 PM »
I want to get a new PR4 to replace my rear bald pr3. My PR3 front looks like it still has a lot of life on it. Is it safe?

There was recently a thread containing the same topic (although it is not in the topic name)

It is perfectly safe.

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=16198.msg198654#msg198654
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline galaxieman

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2014, 01:29:06 AM »
the 023 or t30 ??
ran a bunch of sets of the 023gt, trying the t30 this year.

023 GT.  Running a 180/55 rear, turns in nicely, is lighter, and was available in GT-spec when I last installed new rubber.  Looking around, I see that a 190/55 rear is available in the GT tire now... might try that next go around.  They stick nicely all the way to the edges, and does 2-up just fine.  I run my rear tire at 43-44 psi cold, and it's great.  Of course after my first sportbike experience on Dunlop D204's, pretty much anything is light-years ahead.  I ran 003 RSs on my race bike, and have BT-016s on my Ninja 250.  Ran Pilot Powers on the Superhawk (the race bike) before the 003's, and based on those I'd be completely confident in a set of PR4s.  There are simply a LOT of good choices for tires these days.
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparat bellum.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2014, 03:33:57 PM »
I currently have a PR2 on the front and PR3 on the rear.