Author Topic: Front rotor noise following my front brake job  (Read 4424 times)

wcgreen

Front rotor noise following my front brake job
« on: April 23, 2016, 04:14:55 PM »
OK... been off here for a while due to some serious health issues while in grad school...  So, did a front brake job.. my first ever on ANY of my 8 bikes I've had.  Bike only rider.. no car anymore... Anyway... all seemed good.  Brakes seem good.  No jittering... not vibration.  No squeeks.  However, past few weeks, noticing that soft "ssssh... ssssh... ssssh.... ssssh" sound... so pad is in contact with a rotor... Is this bad?  Something I need to fix?  No idea.  I cleaned everything pretty damn well when I did the job.  Just need to know what this is, how bad it is, and what to do?  God knows, the next 4 weeks are literally the busiest time of my entire 51 years... I have every hour charted and accounted for for next 4 weeks to get done what I have to get done with no time to even rest one hour... so, I really need to just ride this for another  2k... or come up with the scratch to pay the robbing dealer here to fix it... they wanted double the price of any tire I wanted... so God knows what they will want to just adjust my damn brakes... probably $250.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: Front rotor noise following my front brake job
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2016, 04:31:22 PM »
My bicycle brakes did that for quite a while when new :)  I messed with them and they seem to revert back to it.  Just a pad SLIGHTLY touching, so I waited and eventually it worn down enough with use to stop.  I wouldn't think it is a big deal, as long as it is very slight.  But I am no brake expert.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

wcgreen

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2016, 04:32:31 PM »
My bicycle brakes did that for quite a while when new :)  I messed with them and they seem to revert back to it.  Just a pad SLIGHTLY touching, so I waited and eventually it worn down enough with use to stop.  I wouldn't think it is a big deal, as long as it is very slight.  But I am no brake expert.
That was my hope... but I am a novice on brakes too!  I appreciate it!
B

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2016, 04:38:58 PM »
if you installed EBC pads, you will hear a slight hissssss at times... normal for them.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

wcgreen

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2016, 04:42:57 PM »
if you installed EBC pads, you will hear a slight hissssss at times... normal for them.
Hey!  They are OEM pads that I used.  At first I didn't notice the sound... not till I got the bike back to Tuscaloosa and into the parking garage... when I got it into a closed area, that's when I could hear the brushing sound... now I can hear it at parking lot speeds, but only then.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2016, 07:31:51 AM »
OK... been off here for a while due to some serious health issues while in grad school...  So, did a front brake job.. my first ever on ANY of my 8 bikes I've had.  Bike only rider.. no car anymore... Anyway... all seemed good.  Brakes seem good.  No jittering... not vibration.  No squeeks.  However, past few weeks, noticing that soft "ssssh... ssssh... ssssh.... ssssh" sound... so pad is in contact with a rotor... Is this bad?  Something I need to fix?  No idea.  I cleaned everything pretty damn well when I did the job.  Just need to know what this is, how bad it is, and what to do?  God knows, the next 4 weeks are literally the busiest time of my entire 51 years... I have every hour charted and accounted for for next 4 weeks to get done what I have to get done with no time to even rest one hour... so, I really need to just ride this for another  2k... or come up with the scratch to pay the robbing dealer here to fix it... they wanted double the price of any tire I wanted... so God knows what they will want to just adjust my damn brakes... probably $250.

If you ride the bike for a bit and stop without using the brakes, are your rotors getting hot/warm? 
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

wcgreen

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2016, 08:44:46 AM »
If you ride the bike for a bit and stop without using the brakes, are your rotors getting hot/warm?
I'm gonna test that soon... get it out on I-20 for a bit and check.  Thanks! 

wcgreen

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2016, 09:59:21 PM »
UPDATE-  Did the test... took it out on the highway for 10 miles, cruised to a stop on the shoulder.  Checked the rotors for heat, and both were cool to the touch.  So, if it is the pads making that slight SSSSH SSSSSH SSSSSH sound, it cant be much.  I suppose I should not worry any more.  Not sure what else it could be, but it rides great other than that slight sound.

Offline O.C.

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2016, 04:03:09 AM »
When overhauling or thoroughly cleaning your brakes, don't overlook the disc rotor bobbins, make sure they are free,..... for obvious reasons do not lubricate them ! a proprietary branded brake cleaner will do the job

Otherwise I expect it is down to new pads as others have said  :)

CARPE DIEM

KAWASAKI VERSYS 650

Offline Conrad

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2016, 04:43:47 AM »
UPDATE-  Did the test... took it out on the highway for 10 miles, cruised to a stop on the shoulder.  Checked the rotors for heat, and both were cool to the touch.  So, if it is the pads making that slight SSSSH SSSSSH SSSSSH sound, it cant be much.  I suppose I should not worry any more.  Not sure what else it could be, but it rides great other than that slight sound.

There you go. Ride more worry less.    :)
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

elp_jc

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2016, 07:32:12 PM »
Perfectly normal. No rotor is going to be 100% true. Put the bike on the centerstand, roll the rear tire, and you'd hear exactly the same thing.