Author Topic: Earplugs that work  (Read 21632 times)

Offline connie1

• Arena
Re: Earplugs that work
« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2012, 10:07:48 PM »
I noticed at the cycle show that the earplug guy was using tubs of slicone putty and charging $80 a crack for custom earplugs.  That got my frugal mind going and remembered that my dentist uses silicone putty for some impressions so I asked him about it.  He said that his stuff is relatively expensive but recalled seing patients with homemade jewellry made from silicone.  Searched the internet and found that hobby and craft stores carry silicone putty for making craft molds (ie chocolate).  Picked up a half pound kit for $29 a craft store.   With a little reading through this thread and a little common sense I made 3 sets of plugs for my wife and I plus a set of custom earbuds and didn't hardly make a dent in the putty containers.  My guess would be that you could get 30 or 40 sets for $29.  How's that for frugal.

Making the plugs isn't as hard as your audiologist would have you believe.  You can feel how far you are installing the silicone while you are doing it.  If it's uncomfortable or doesn't perform well you pitch it in the trash and start again, no big loss.
My earbuds work incredibly well. The volume is so low while in my farm equipment it is hard to believe.
I plan to make plugs for any of my family who rides plus any riding buddies who want them

Man do I love this bike! Red '09

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2012, 10:11:19 PM »
Hey connie1, how does the silicone putty harden? Just leave it sitting out at room temp or do you have to do something else to cure it?
Scott
ZX-6D --> CBR600F3 --> TL1000R --> Concours 14
Mods: Two Bro's Titanium Slip-on, Shad SH46 trunk, PCA luggage rack, AeroFlow windscreen, Corbin saddles, Helibar risers, LED brake flashers, "divintymotor" (Ebay) LED tail light, ProjektD sidestand Bigfoot and Helmet locks, Vario Passenger pegs, Oxford Heaterz grips

Offline connie1

• Arena
« Reply #42 on: February 01, 2012, 10:29:52 PM »
It comes as a two part putty.  Throw on a frsh pair of plastic shop gloves, measure out about a 1/3 of a teaspoon of each component and knead them together 'till it is of uniform colour.  I tend to just fold in half and flatten out fold again etc.  The faster you do it the better.  Once you get it in your ear you wait  for about 5-7 minutes and voila you have an ear plug. 
Note:  Mow your ear hair first.

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2012, 06:25:43 AM »
It comes as a two part putty.  Throw on a frsh pair of plastic shop gloves, measure out about a 1/3 of a teaspoon of each component and knead them together 'till it is of uniform colour.  I tend to just fold in half and flatten out fold again etc.  The faster you do it the better.  Once you get it in your ear you wait  for about 5-7 minutes and voila you have an ear plug. 
Note:  Mow your ear hair first and make sure the wax is gone.

There fixed it for ya!   ;D
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #44 on: February 02, 2012, 07:55:28 PM »
I noticed at the cycle show that the earplug guy was using tubs of slicone putty and charging $80 a crack for custom earplugs.  That got my frugal mind going and remembered that my dentist uses silicone putty for some impressions so I asked him about it.  He said that his stuff is relatively expensive but recalled seing patients with homemade jewellry made from silicone.  Searched the internet and found that hobby and craft stores carry silicone putty for making craft molds (ie chocolate).  Picked up a half pound kit for $29 a craft store.   With a little reading through this thread and a little common sense I made 3 sets of plugs for my wife and I plus a set of custom earbuds and didn't hardly make a dent in the putty containers.  My guess would be that you could get 30 or 40 sets for $29.  How's that for frugal.

Making the plugs isn't as hard as your audiologist would have you believe.  You can feel how far you are installing the silicone while you are doing it.  If it's uncomfortable or doesn't perform well you pitch it in the trash and start again, no big loss.
My earbuds work incredibly well. The volume is so low while in my farm equipment it is hard to believe.
I plan to make plugs for any of my family who rides plus any riding buddies who want them

Link?
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline connie1

• Arena
« Reply #45 on: February 02, 2012, 09:37:51 PM »
http://www.michaels.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-Michaels-Site/default/Search-AdvancedSearch?cgid=entire&q=silicone+putty

This is where I got mine but we have a much more limited selection than there is in the states.  If you google silicone putty you will probably find every color and texture.  The stuff I've got is a little more firm than I envision to be optimal but should be able to play with the proportions to soften it up.

Note that when you install this in your ear what goes in will come out when it cures.  You also should remember to get a good solid lock in the hook just above your ear canal.  This helps to keep them in and to provide a benchmark when installing them.   Whatever isn't functional can be trimmed away after, especially if it is too long in your ear canal to be comfortable.

Offline katata1100

« Reply #46 on: February 02, 2012, 09:46:00 PM »
I have worn hearos on long rides, they are cheap and have worked well when I go to concerts.
On the other hand, ever consider a different windshield? I have Oneal Tirade bluetooth helmet. I set it up to a low, comfortable level of sound before I ride. When I went above 55mph, I could not hear it. I cranked up the volume a little to where I could hear, when I came to a stop, it was uncomfortably loud. Moral of the story- the bike puts out a large amount of noise at speed.
I put on a large cal sci windshield. Noise is a lot less, I can still listen to helmet at low volumes. Rather than buy earplugs, maybe it is better to put money into a windshield that reduces noise?

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #47 on: February 02, 2012, 09:57:12 PM »
I have worn hearos on long rides, they are cheap and have worked well when I go to concerts.
On the other hand, ever consider a different windshield? I have Oneal Tirade bluetooth helmet. I set it up to a low, comfortable level of sound before I ride. When I went above 55mph, I could not hear it. I cranked up the volume a little to where I could hear, when I came to a stop, it was uncomfortably loud. Moral of the story- the bike puts out a large amount of noise at speed.
I put on a large cal sci windshield. Noise is a lot less, I can still listen to helmet at low volumes. Rather than buy earplugs, maybe it is better to put money into a windshield that reduces noise?
I have a CalSci large (or XL? Can't remember which since it came with the bike) and I still use custom earplugs.
Scott
Mods: Two Bro's Titanium Slip-on, Shad SH46 trunk, PCA luggage rack, AeroFlow windscreen, Corbin saddles, Helibar risers, LED brake flashers, "divintymotor" (Ebay) LED tail light, ProjektD sidestand Bigfoot and Helmet locks, Vario Passenger pegs, Oxford Heaterz grips

Offline mikeb2411

Ear Protection
« Reply #48 on: April 02, 2015, 01:52:48 PM »
Hey everyone, I have been using a product by the name of "Earfuze" under my helmet while riding. It's a do-it-yourself moldable ear protection setup and the mold actually "molds" around ear buds. It plugs into the comms on your helmet and allows you to listen to your music and phone.

What is everyone out there using for ear protection that allows them to listen to their music and phone?

Just curious!
Mike
Ojai, CA
2016 Black Triumph Trophy SE

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Ear Protection
« Reply #49 on: April 02, 2015, 02:21:02 PM »
I wear foam ear plugs and turn the music up as loud as I can...SMH10
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #50 on: April 02, 2015, 02:26:25 PM »

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #51 on: April 02, 2015, 02:28:38 PM »
Westone custom molded ear phones. http://www.westoneaudio.com/index.php/products/custom-series/cr10.html

Rhino, how long have you had them? I've had the Earfuze for about 8 months and the right ear bud is dying on me! I'm looking for a replacement. How are they at cutting down on outside/wind noise?
Mike
Ojai, CA
2016 Black Triumph Trophy SE

sailor_chic

« Reply #52 on: April 02, 2015, 03:39:05 PM »
I recently purchased these from amazon and I am really impressed with them. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008YDTRI6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I am able to plug them into my GPS and listen to my music and actually hear it well into the upper speeds. They also do a good job at blocking the wind noise.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #53 on: April 02, 2015, 03:48:19 PM »
Hey everyone, I have been using a product by the name of "Earfuze" under my helmet while riding. It's a do-it-yourself moldable ear protection setup and the mold actually "molds" around ear buds. It plugs into the comms on your helmet and allows you to listen to your music and phone.

What is everyone out there using for ear protection that allows them to listen to their music and phone?

Just curious!

I used something similar here from Radians (earlier in what is now the same thread):  http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=4448.msg51253#msg51253

I had mixed results
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

elp_jc

« Reply #54 on: April 02, 2015, 11:05:28 PM »
I recently purchased these from amazon and I am really impressed with them.
They look quite good for the price. But I'm interested in their claimed noise reduction. Conveniently, they don't say anywhere what's their dB rating. Does it say somewhere in the box or instructions? If not, compared to foam earplugs, what's your guess of dB rating? I wear Max-Lite from Howard Leight, which are rated at 30 dB, and wouldn't want any less. The most I've seen in foam ones is 33dB from the Max ones, but they hurt my ears like hell in a few hours. In fact, even the Max-Lites are starting to bother my ears after several hours. Want/need something softer. Thx.

sailor_chic

« Reply #55 on: April 03, 2015, 05:57:02 AM »
They look quite good for the price. But I'm interested in their claimed noise reduction. Conveniently, they don't say anywhere what's their dB rating. Does it say somewhere in the box or instructions? If not, compared to foam earplugs, what's your guess of dB rating? I wear Max-Lite from Howard Leight, which are rated at 30 dB, and wouldn't want any less. The most I've seen in foam ones is 33dB from the Max ones, but they hurt my ears like hell in a few hours. In fact, even the Max-Lites are starting to bother my ears after several hours. Want/need something softer. Thx.

I just looked to see if there were any instructions included with them. There must not be any or I have discarded them already. I will say though that the noise reduction is sufficient. I am an avid Max-lite wearer also and these are a close second to reducing the wind noise. For the price of these earbuds, I am completely impressed.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #56 on: April 03, 2015, 06:21:29 AM »
Rhino, how long have you had them? I've had the Earfuze for about 8 months and the right ear bud is dying on me! I'm looking for a replacement. How are they at cutting down on outside/wind noise?

I've had them for a couple of years. I don't wear them day to day on my commute because they are a PITA to put in. You have to lube them. But love them for long rides. They are almost too quiet. With music on even at a low volume I can hear absolutely nothing other than the music.

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #57 on: April 03, 2015, 09:54:44 AM »
I've had them for a couple of years. I don't wear them day to day on my commute because they are a PITA to put in. You have to lube them. But love them for long rides. They are almost too quiet. With music on even at a low volume I can hear absolutely nothing other than the music.

I am the one who started this thread and I am still using the Westone 4RT custom plugs. I use them with my Sena SMH10 and the thing I like about the combination is that I can hear the cars/sounds around me, but still hear the music as well. I would not want what Rhino is saying, only being able to hear the music as I am a believer that you need to hear your surroundings as well.
Scott

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #58 on: April 03, 2015, 03:11:51 PM »

Oooh, that is perhaps too quiet.  I would want to hear sirens, unusual bike noises (indicating a problem), horns, etc.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc