Author Topic: best gps for the $ ?  (Read 21752 times)

Offline ZG

• Arena
Re: best gps for the $ ?
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2011, 08:03:01 PM »

I guess we are just typical spoiled Americans, whining about not being able to have the exact kind of GPS we want as cheaply as we want.... (funny and true, all at once).

:rotflmao:  Too true indeed!!

Offline Tarheelbob

« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2011, 08:09:37 PM »
Agree with the others on the 765T. Got mine off Amazon for $130.
When life hands you lemons, go get the tequila and salt.

Offline CrashGordon

« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2011, 07:41:36 AM »
GPS's are throw- aways too, just more expensive than $30.
Brian

I can't figure out what you guys are doing to your GPS's to tear them up. I have had four GPSs since 1999 when I bought my first one. All Garmins, three were hiking models and the Zumo is the only navigator model. My first Garmin was very basic and I bought it before the Department of Defense turned off Selective Availability in May, 2000. I gave it to my dad when I upgraded to an eTrex Legend. That first Garmin is still working today. I gave my Legend to my assistant when I upgraded to an eTrex HCx Vista. The eTrex Legend is still working today. I still use the Vista. I bought the Zumo a little more than two years ago (ordered it before I bought the bike, actually) and it has made many trips with both the bike and the car. All of my handhelds were used in the field for hunting so they spent many hours in the rain, dirt, dust and bumping over terrain on a four-wheeler. The only trouble I've ever had with a GPS was that my first unit (so old, I can't even remember what model it was) didn't really like the cold. If I left it in my glove box when it was near freezing, the screen would be dark and unresponsive until it warmed up. All of the others have worked flawlessly and none of them have had an easy life.

I will agree that the GPS should not be relied upon as your only navigation tool. I've had them give me erroneous navigation information (though I'll admit, I don't routinely update my GPS's). I still use a tank bag with a clear map pocket on top and I always have a map when I'm on a trip. But I have also had the GPS save the trip when some of my traveling buddies were getting low on gas and we needed to find the nearest station (far outside of cell range on the south side of the Texas hill country). I will always travel with one.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2011, 09:06:30 AM »
Neither can I.... as I said, none of the failed units had ever been abused, dropped or so had as much as a nick on them. I cannot even blame the vehicle they were used in because there was not a single vehicle all were ever used with. I understand this is a statistical anomaly but still, I have been through a LOT of receivers.

Brian

I can't figure out what you guys are doing to your GPS's to tear them up.

<snip>

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline ninjawarrior1400

• "There is no second place winner in a gunfight."
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2011, 07:54:34 PM »
The best always costs more ...everyone knows that.....

Recommend you save your money and get a map at a gas station.....!
Ninjawarrior

Offline JoeR

• COG 9284 / AMA 668669
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2011, 08:47:13 PM »
Navigon for iPhone, $35 app, works great, voice through ear buds, no need to look at a screen.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2011, 10:30:02 PM »
anything one chooses over Garmin is best fior the money
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2011, 09:00:18 AM »
I just happened to see this today: http://cgi.ebay.com/New-7-Car-GPS-Navigation-Bluetooth-AV-IN-FM-WinCE-70T-/260782365080?_trksid=p4340.m1374&_trkparms=algo%3DPI.WATCH%26its%3DC%26itu%3DUCC%26otn%3D15%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D1106199218100472426#ht_8953wt_1139

Now I don't really suspect it is 'the best' and for all I know, it might not even be useable as a GPS but for $90 delivered, it is pretty impressive, at least in the spec. list. A 7" GPS, using Windows CE, including Bluetooth and an MP3 player, as well as maps for the country (countries?) of your choice for well under $100.

And remember folks, this is the genuine Chinese article, not some cheap knock- off.  :o ;D

Brian
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Mal

• Arena
  • There is no spoon...
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2011, 09:01:15 AM »
I've had my 550 for 3 years now, no hickups or failures. The worst thing that has happened is I lost the thumbscrew and didn't feel comfortable using the GPS until I replaced it. The unit gets used extensively, if it's not on the bike, it's in the car. It's been rained on, hailed on, and snowed on and it has always performed flawlessly. It did get super-saturated once after 3 days in the rain, and the XM quit working until the base dried out, but that has been the only issue...

I hope you guys keep buying car units, and Garmin reads this thread. Then the bike units might come down in price.....  :thumbs:
`09 ZG-1400
Western Colorado

"It is not the business of government to make men virtuous or religious, or to preserve the fool from the consequences of his own folly. Government should be repressive no further than is necessary to secure liberty by protecting the equal rights of each from aggression on the part of others" —Henry George

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2011, 09:12:49 AM »

And remember folks, this is the genuine Chinese article, not some cheap knock- off.  :o ;D

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2011, 09:31:29 AM »
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline h2smokin

« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2011, 03:29:09 PM »
I'm leaning towards the 765t myself now. Been researching and for the $ I'll give it a shot more than likely. Thanks for all the info

Offline ConnerNA

• Why do they clap for the daily double?
    • BBQ Basics
« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2011, 12:45:01 PM »
I am running blackberry maps and google maps on my blackberry, it does blue tooth, music, etc. For straight "get me there" types of applications I have an old TomTom one that I picked up for like 40 bucks on a black friday. It does not let you create routes, no bluetooth, or anything like that but for just good old fashion I need to get here type of stuff it has been GREAT!!!

Offline MrFurious

« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2011, 07:12:40 PM »
I'm getting my sena bluetooth sometime next week I ordered. Now looking to get a gps system maybe. Whats best way to go? I've looked at the units for cars and bikes both. Would one non motorcycle specific work just as well? Seems moto specific units cost a whole lot more than for cars. Thanks

Well, that would really depend on what features you can and can't live without.  Since you mentioned the Sena I'm guessing you definitely want something that's bluetooth compatible.  What else do you want it to do?

Lane assist?
Auto Route?
Auto Re-Route?
Create Tracks?
Integrated MP3 or XM Radio?
Waterproof?
Accepts additional map packs/SD cards?
Built-in compass/altimeter/barometer?

Knowing what options you definitely want/have to have will greatly cut down on the number of units available and simplify the decision.

Unfortunately Garmin decided to discontinue one of their most popular lines with motorcyclists a few years ago.  They were actually marine chart plotting units, but also included most of the desired auto features to make them a great dual-purpose unit.  The two most popular models from this line were the GPSMAP 276C and the GPSMap 378.  I know several riders (myself included) who would sell their soul to get their hands on a new or refurbished one, and used ones usually end up selling for close to what they cost new because there is still such a demand for them.  The downside is they don't have a lot of the new, more modern features (bluetooth, touch screen, etc.), but I'm one of those who likes to keep things simple.

I'm currently running a Garmin GPSMap 60CSx handheld and it does most everything I need.  It doesn't have bluetooth, lane assist, 3D maps, an MP3 player or any other fancy stuff like that, but I really don't have a need for it either.  Loaded up with City Navigator NT it will do most everything the newer/fancier units will without all the confusing/frustrating bells and whistles.  I can also create and save "tracks", or my ride path if I so choose.  This is really nice if you're out riding in a new area and find some killer roads you want to revisit in the future or save to send to your friends so they can find them.  If I feel like breaking out the dual-sport I can also load it up with Topo maps and go explore trails and ORV areas (most of which people have created trail maps for that you can download or purchase online).  The small screen is about the only drawback, but the only time I really notice it is when I'm in town and need to zoom in to get a more detailed view.  Being small, it doesn't block the stock gauges or display much either.

Jim B.
COG #9642
2009 C14 - Black - Non-ABS
Insanity is not as easy as I make it look!

Offline Viking

« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2011, 05:33:54 AM »
This link shows the read and write abilities of Garmin GPS's.

http://developer.garmin.com/web-device/garmin-communicator-plugin/device-support-matrix/

If you want to create a route to follow then upload it to your GPS, you will need to buy a unit that has that ability; most do not.
There are one or two inexpensive options that allow routing.

Please note, it is necessary to set your GPS to similar settings as your mapping software, or the Auto Navigate function of the GPS will recalculate your carefully planned route.
You can also work around this by setting many waypoints into your route.

Want to use Google Maps to plan a route?
You can click on the link button (top right) to save the route, then go to this link and it will convert the map into a format your GPS can read: http://www.takitwithme.com/

Cheers

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2011, 08:18:42 AM »
Have 1 of my 2 Garmin 2720's mounted on my DR650......love that unit!!!!!
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline Ninjawarrior

« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2011, 08:23:29 AM »
Zumo 550 end of statement!

Ninja

Offline OregonLAN

« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2011, 09:02:09 AM »
Navigon for iPhone, $35 app, works great, voice through ear buds, no need to look at a screen.

Same. With a smart phone there's really no need to purchase a GPS.

My Android phone has an application that not only caches maps to the phone's SD, it also shows you alternate routes and alerts you in case there is traffic. With turn by turn directions, lane assist and speed warnings, there's no reason to even look at the GPS if you use a Bluetooth headset. It also seconds as a music player and a communication device (phone).

Offline dras

• Arena
  • The Invisible Man
« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2011, 10:25:11 AM »
Is that an app from the market or something that came as stock on your phone?
Never get too busy making a living that you forget to make a life.

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2011, 10:39:42 AM »
This link shows the read and write abilities of Garmin GPS's.

http://developer.garmin.com/web-device/garmin-communicator-plugin/device-support-matrix/

If you want to create a route to follow then upload it to your GPS, you will need to buy a unit that has that ability; most do not.
There are one or two inexpensive options that allow routing.

Please note, it is necessary to set your GPS to similar settings as your mapping software, or the Auto Navigate function of the GPS will recalculate your carefully planned route.
You can also work around this by setting many waypoints into your route.

Want to use Google Maps to plan a route?
You can click on the link button (top right) to save the route, then go to this link and it will convert the map into a format your GPS can read: http://www.takitwithme.com/

Cheers

Thanks, good info!