Author Topic: Kawi Green City Lights  (Read 18369 times)

Offline RideBellChain

• RideBellChain.com Send a bell, receive a free bell!
Kawi Green City Lights
« on: July 27, 2013, 12:17:18 PM »
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200939783426

Can't wait to see this at night, with my other green accent lights!
Ride Safe!  Mark Turkel
http://www.RideBellChain.com
2012 Black Kawi Concours 14, 2008 Yami Royal Star Venture

Offline ZG

• Arena
Re: Kawi Green City Lights
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2013, 12:42:16 PM »
 :popcorn:

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2013, 01:09:24 PM »
Illegal and unsafe
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2013, 01:26:22 PM »
$7?   ::)

Offline wroman

• 2012 C14
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2013, 07:53:22 PM »
 Boy this is a tough audience. Like taking a dump in your sandbox.  Like to see them at night.
I always wanted to be somebody......I guess I should have been more specific.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2013, 07:57:01 PM »
Boy this is a tough audience. Like taking a dump in your sandbox.  Like to see them at night.
Damn pussies.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2013, 08:44:41 PM »
Damn pussies.

Indeed GP, and not even trimmed...  :o

Offline OCK913

• Arena
    • The Orlando Riders Club
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2013, 02:40:11 PM »
Had them installed for a while now and have had nothing but safe rides since .....
            2009 Kawasaki C14 - Black

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2013, 03:41:36 PM »
Had them installed for a while now and have had nothing but safe rides since .....

Perhaps safe for YOU but not necessarily for other people, one day one of whom might see a green light instead of a red one at a traffic stop.  There are good reasons it is illegal.  Don't be surprised if you are eventually ticketed.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 05:03:22 PM by maxtog »
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline OCK913

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2013, 08:15:13 PM »
Perhaps safe for YOU but not necessarily for other people, one day one of whom might see a green light instead of a red one at a traffic stop.  There are good reasons it is illegal.  Don't be surprised if you are eventually ticketed.

It may be illegal in VA and I would be very surprised if you have actually researched the laws of all 50 states. But here is the Florida State Statutes regarding vehicles and traffic laws.  http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&URL=0300-0399/0316/0316ContentsIndex.html&StatuteYear=2012&Title=%2D%3E2012%2D%3EChapter%20316

Offline Tremainiac

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2013, 09:28:59 PM »
Thanks... Very helpful!  :banghead:
Hey mister, my sister has a Harley 'just' like yours!!
2009 Concours 14, 2003 Triumph Thunderbird Sport
1980 Honda CM400 street tracker, Grubee Skyhawk

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2013, 09:31:56 PM »
It may be illegal in VA

And probably all other 50 states

and I would be very surprised if you have actually researched the laws of all 50 states. But here is the Florida State Statutes regarding vehicles and traffic laws.  http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&URL=0300-0399/0316/0316ContentsIndex.html&StatuteYear=2012&Title=%2D%3E2012%2D%3EChapter%20316

And here is your answer:

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=0300-0399/0316/Sections/0316.224.html

"(1) Front clearance lamps, identification lamps, and those marker lamps and reflectors mounted on the front or on the side near the front of a vehicle shall display or reflect an amber color.
(2) Rear clearance lamps, identification lamps, and those marker lamps and reflectors mounted on the rear or on the sides near the rear of a vehicle shall display or reflect a red color.
(3) All lighting devices and reflectors mounted on the rear of any vehicle shall display or reflect a red color, except the stop light or other signal device, which may be red, amber, or yellow, and except that the light illuminating the license plate shall be white and the light emitted by a backup lamp shall be white or amber. "

Similar would be http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=0300-0399/0316/Sections/0316.235.html

"316.235 Additional lighting equipment.—
(1) Any motor vehicle may be equipped with not more than two side cowl or fender lamps which shall emit an amber or white light without glare."

Besides, it is just common sense that putting green lights on a vehicle is a bad idea.

Offline OCK913

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2013, 01:35:38 PM »
"(1) Front clearance lamps, identification lamps, and those marker lamps and reflectors mounted on the front or on the side near the front of a vehicle shall display or reflect an amber color.

"316.235 Additional lighting equipment.—
(1) Any motor vehicle may be equipped with not more than two side cowl or fender lamps which shall emit an amber or white light without glare."

If front facing must be amber, then the OEM white is also illegal??

The OEM city lights are not "side cowl or fender lamps"

Offline RBX QB

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2013, 01:49:06 PM »

The way this is written... yes. But, I'd bet that argument would be easier than if you tried green... or blue, purple, red, teal or plaid.

I have a red city lamp inside the headlight housing on my Duc, but it's so hard to see that it's never been an issue... tho I can't say I didn't know it was illegal to have on the front. It's risk management... as long as you understand that you COULD get a ticket for it, and are prepared for those consequences IF they happen, then do what you like.
2011 Concours 14 ABS
2̶0̶0̶6̶ ̶D̶u̶c̶a̶t̶i̶ ̶M̶o̶n̶s̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶S̶2̶R̶D̶  SOLD

Offline PH14

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2013, 02:15:34 PM »

No, because it says, ") Front clearance lamps, identification lamps, and those marker lamps." That isn't talking about headlights.

Offline RBX QB

« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2013, 03:08:54 PM »
No, because it says, ") Front clearance lamps, identification lamps, and those marker lamps." That isn't talking about headlights.

But city lights are front-facing... and not headlights. They weren't looking at our bike when they wrote this law.

Essentially, don't ride a Connie in Florida. Not enough hills, anyway.
2011 Concours 14 ABS
2̶0̶0̶6̶ ̶D̶u̶c̶a̶t̶i̶ ̶M̶o̶n̶s̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶S̶2̶R̶D̶  SOLD

Offline OCK913

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2013, 05:34:58 PM »
That isn't talking about headlights.

Neither was I ...... the whole thread is about the front facing city lights in the center, between the headlights.

Offline RideBellChain

• RideBellChain.com Send a bell, receive a free bell!
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2013, 11:01:51 AM »
I'll take my chances...although I'd like to understand how they are "dangerous"?

I doubt they'll even be noticable with my HID's and the other lights I have on the fender...and if I do get pulled over, I'll tell that cop that ZG likes it...and I'm sure he'll say "Have a great ride!"

:)

These CREE LED's are freakin' bright!  Both the city lights and the running lights...don't you agree?

Ride Safe!  Mark Turkel
http://www.RideBellChain.com
2012 Black Kawi Concours 14, 2008 Yami Royal Star Venture

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2013, 11:35:30 AM »
It seems if you want the exact same bulbs/LEDs in white that the price goes way up. Green or blue $6~$7, white $48.88.
Whats up with that? Did ZG inquire about white ones and drive up the price?  ;D

I have LED street lights, but even accounting for how inaccurate some LED photos can be for depicting real world
brightness, I gotta say that R'BellChain's green ones seem very bright. I'd like those in white.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2013, 02:35:07 PM »
I'll take my chances...although I'd like to understand how they are "dangerous"?

Because it is [illegally] displaying a color reserved for traffic lights that universally means "go".  If you are sitting at a traffic light in the front row [illegally] displaying a green light, someone opposite might glance up and see it and decide to go.