Author Topic: 2008-2009 Wheel Sliders  (Read 13413 times)

Offline p07r0457

2008-2009 Wheel Sliders
« on: July 05, 2013, 04:51:27 PM »
Hello.  I'm trying to add some fall protection to my 2009 Concours 14 ABS.  I notice that Murphs Kits has some sliders for the front forks and rear swingarm, but there is a disclaimer that the rear is incompatible with the 2009 model.  Any ideas why?  I wasn't aware of a change to that part for 2010.  I did email Murph's Kits, but its been a few days without a reply so I thought I'd try the hive mind.  ;)

http://www.murphskits.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=130_133&products_id=505

Thanks.
2009 Kawasaki Concours 14 ABS - Candy Diamond Red
1986 Honda CB700SC Nighthawk S - Candy Aleutian Blue and Shasta White
2017 Acura MDX SH-AWD Advance - White Diamond Pearl
2018 Infiniti QX30 Premium AWD - Majestic White

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: 2008-2009 Wheel Sliders
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2013, 05:05:05 PM »
Hello.  I'm trying to add some fall protection to my 2009 Concours 14 ABS.  I notice that Murphs Kits has some sliders for the front forks and rear swingarm, but there is a disclaimer that the rear is incompatible with the 2009 model.  Any ideas why?  I wasn't aware of a change to that part for 2010.  I did email Murph's Kits, but its been a few days without a reply so I thought I'd try the hive mind.  ;)

I can't answer your question about those sliders.  I wouldn't have thought there was any change on the either, also.

However, if you want any real protection, it will require either the Full Canyon Cages or Top Blocks or a combination of them (front Blocks + rear Canyons).  You might have already figured that out by now from the zillions of posts, however.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline p07r0457

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2013, 05:29:24 PM »
However, if you want any real protection, it will require either the Full Canyon Cages or Top Blocks or a combination of them (front Blocks + rear Canyons).  You might have already figured that out by now from the zillions of posts, however.
I like the look of the Canyon Cages in the front.  However, I think the rears would look odd if the bags are removed.

The Top Blocks are quite expensive, in my opinion.

I was considering some basic sliders to get me at least some protection.  For example: http://projektd.com/product_info.php?products_id=71

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2013, 06:36:31 PM »
I think the rears would look odd if the bags are removed.
Yes, it makes the bike look stupid without the bags on. I never run without the bags anyways.

I have the full MCE set-up and sliders front and rear. Why you ask, because I get ZG's hand me downs.  ;D
He had to get the new Top Blocks ones that you are looking at. He has them on his 09, so they must work. PM ZG and he will tell you if he had to do any strange mods.

Projeckt D front and rear sliders say they fit 08-13 and they are cheaper.
http://projektd.com/product_info.php?cPath=27_39_40&products_id=46
http://projektd.com/product_info.php?cPath=27_39_40&products_id=151

Offline PH14

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2013, 06:53:23 PM »
I have the GSC sliders and have the rear on a 2009. I got them when we did a group buy a few years ago. I can't see what the difference would be.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2013, 07:21:54 PM »
I have the full MCE set-up and sliders front and rear. Why you ask, because I get ZG's hand me downs.  ;D

;D :grouphug: :chugbeer:

He had to get the new Top Blocks ones that you are looking at. He has them on his 09, so they must work. PM ZG and he will tell you if he had to do any strange mods.

Yep, I have the Top Block rear sliders on my 09 and they fit just fine, from what I heard the reason they say they won't work on the 08/09 is because of the Kawi stock potato launcher, but if yer running an aftermarket pipe (like you should be) then you'll be just fine.  :)

Oh, and by the way they work great, check out these pics for proof...  ;)

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=8315.msg100791#msg100791

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2013, 07:28:09 PM »
I like the look of the Canyon Cages in the front.  However, I think the rears would look odd if the bags are removed.

They do look strange with no bags.   But I never remove the bags from my Concours, so I don't care :)

The Top Blocks are quite expensive, in my opinion.

They are expensive, no opinion needed :)

I was considering some basic sliders to get me at least some protection.

I suppose it is better than nothing at all, but they won't offer much protection.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2013, 07:32:06 PM »
Yep, I have the Top Block[...]Oh, and by the way they work great, check out these pics for proof...  ;)

Indeed they do work (and look great, at least on the 1st gen C14), as long as it is just a very slow drop (and you are willing to pay and drill the fairings).  But if there is any rocking force (like with a more violent drop), it can/will lever over the front Blocks and smash the bags, mirrors, and top fairing.  If you combine them with the rear Canyons, that is far less likely to happen.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2013, 08:28:14 PM »
I can feel my brane beginning to hurt again.....
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2013, 08:31:41 PM »
I can feel my brane beginning to hurt again.....

Time to switch back to beer now Sparky, put the wine glass down...  ;) :chugbeer:

Offline p07r0457

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2013, 08:33:38 PM »
Indeed they do work (and look great, at least on the 1st gen C14), as long as it is just a very slow drop (and you are willing to pay and drill the fairings).  But if there is any rocking force (like with a more violent drop), it can/will lever over the front Blocks and smash the bags, mirrors, and top fairing.  If you combine them with the rear Canyons, that is far less likely to happen.

Do the Canyon Cages (front & rear) protect against this?  In other words, would they be the best level of protection?

Does anyone know who has them in stock (front and rear, in black)?

If I accept that the bags can never really be removed, then I suppose those would be the most reasonable choice.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2013, 09:33:32 PM »
Do the Canyon Cages (front & rear) protect against this?

Yes

In other words, would they be the best level of protection?

Yes.  There is currently nothing better except the large (police type) bars offered by the same company (it is the older design).  But compared to the Top Block option, the Canyons are not as attractive.

Does anyone know who has them in stock (front and rear, in black)?

Most of us bought directly.  But, unfortunately for customers (and fortunately for them) they are so popular they can't seem to keep up with demand.

If I accept that the bags can never really be removed, then I suppose those would be the most reasonable choice.

You CAN remove the bags, it just looks odd without them- like the rear of the bike has ears or something :)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2013, 04:43:12 AM »
Yeah, I'm debating whether to leave them on for the ride to the dealer this morning.  Looks ugly as sin without them and having the rear guards out there....   Guess I'll have to call my bike Opie from now on if I leave them off.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2013, 05:35:19 AM »
Yeah, I'm debating whether to leave them on for the ride to the dealer this morning.  Looks ugly as sin without them and having the rear guards out there....   Guess I'll have to call my bike Opie from now on if I leave them off.

When I went to the dealer, I did take the bags off- less possibility of damage.  But that was before the Canyons.  I have no idea what to do now.  The front Canyons have to come off before any real service.  OR with those cuts I could take off the fairings.  The dealer wouldn't be able to handle either without damaging something (most likely) or at least charging me more.  And either way is going to look really bad if I do it before riding there.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2013, 06:55:43 AM »
The last time that I took my bike to the dealer (the time before last actually, for the rear brake recall) I removed the bags so that there would be less chance of the dealer's tech messing something up. I ended up banging one of the bags against a door frame and scratching it myself.   :o

It does look ugly with no bags mounted and the rear MCE bars installed. Oh well.

I just had a new rear tire put on by my dealer, I left the bags on this time, no damage.   :)
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2013, 07:42:40 AM »
I decided to leave them on and removed them at the dealer's.

Offline Barry

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2013, 08:06:03 AM »
Here is my experience with swingarm sliders on the C14.

Was at an event in Quantico, the "advanced cornering clinic".  Very tight course set up for high performance riding on a roughly 1/4 mile by 1/4 mile parking lot.  Speeds reach 60 or more mph in the short straights.

A guy dropped his C14 at relatively low speed.  About 5 of us were looking at the bike, and all of us reached the conclusion the sliders on the rear, on the swingarm, stuck out sooooo far, they caused the crash. 

I do not know the make of sliders, but I would not put the ones I saw on my bike, as I deemed them dangerous.

YMMV,
Barry
Tail of the Dragon at Deal's Gap... Avoid it now, do a trackday.

Area P full exhaust, PC-V, Autotune, filter, flys out.

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2013, 08:57:45 AM »

A guy dropped his C14 at relatively low speed.  About 5 of us were looking at the bike, and all of us reached the conclusion the sliders on the rear, on the swingarm, stuck out sooooo far, they caused the crash. 

I need to see these here sliders you speak of.

Offline Barry

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2013, 09:56:00 AM »
Yup.  All of us were of the opinion we would NOT run the sliders we saw.  They would touch down WAAAAY too early. 
Tail of the Dragon at Deal's Gap... Avoid it now, do a trackday.

Area P full exhaust, PC-V, Autotune, filter, flys out.

Offline PH14

« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2013, 10:40:27 AM »
Yup.  All of us were of the opinion we would NOT run the sliders we saw.  They would touch down WAAAAY too early.

What was the slider made of, a tractor tire?