Author Topic: C-14 Galfer Rotors pulsating. **UPDATE**  (Read 16123 times)

Offline Steve Bell

Re: C-14 Galfer Rotors pulsating. **UPDATE**
« Reply #40 on: July 29, 2011, 09:50:28 AM »
Yeah... I was wondering when you would get yours.  Sorry to say you are in the same boat as I on the backorder.  I at least have some pulsing Kawasaki rotors on till the Galfers come in, which should last.

Good luck on your new set.  ;)

I wish I could put on my stock rotors!! When I got my new Galfer rotors last fall they had to be used with Galfer pads or no warranty so I took a look at my worn down stock Kawasaki brake pads and thought I would never use these again and chucked them in the garbage! Galfer made me send in my Galfer pads for inspection with my rotors so I currently have no pads! If I thought this whole ordeal would have taken so long I should have bought another set of pads and used my stock rotors.

Offline ZedHed

« Reply #41 on: July 29, 2011, 09:43:13 PM »
Well Galfer just called and YES the rotors were warped and YES I am happy to say they are sending me a new set.  :thumbs: :)

I am out another $60.00 because I had to pay the shipping for them to inspect my rotors and again to ship my new set to me, better than paying for another set I guess!

So what happens when the new ones warp too?  You gonna keep paying $60 every time they warp?  Obviously, if the OEM rotors warped and aftermarket rotors warped too, there is a systemic problem that swapping rotors is not going to rectify.  I also would tend to believe the caliper MAY be a culprit in this issue - at least worth checking.  BTW, I thought that Fred Harmon checked the 2011 rotors and they had a different design? 
"Life is a hard teacher - you get the test before the lesson is taught..."

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #42 on: July 29, 2011, 09:46:16 PM »
.  BTW, I thought that Fred Harmon checked the 2011 rotors and they had a different design?

IIRC the carrier is a little more beefy to help keep the rotors from warping.  All I know is that I have the 2011 rotors on my 2008 and they feel great after 5,000+ miles.  Hopefully they continue this great performance.
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline Steve Bell

« Reply #43 on: July 29, 2011, 10:01:12 PM »
So what happens when the new ones warp too?  You gonna keep paying $60 every time they warp?  Obviously, if the OEM rotors warped and aftermarket rotors warped too, there is a systemic problem that swapping rotors is not going to rectify.  I also would tend to believe the caliper MAY be a culprit in this issue - at least worth checking. 

No idea if Galfer would replace another set for me or not, lets hope I don't have to find out! I checked both calipers to see if each piston moved freely and they all did so I'm not sure what else could be checked on the calipers? The stock brake lever preloads the piston in the master cylinder slightly when it is installed so I am going to modify the lever slightly so there is zero preload on the piston when the lever is released and maybe that will help.

Offline Steve Bell

« Reply #44 on: August 20, 2011, 09:03:57 PM »
I finally got my warranty set of Galfer rotors and I must say I am not impressed with Galfers quality and would suggest others spend their money on something else. Galfer claims the runout tolerance is .004" and my brand new rotors are .005" on one side and .006" on the other. I went for a ride today and they feel fine but I can't help but feel they probably won't last.  :(
For reference I have a GSX-R 1000 with 30,000KMS and the rotors on that only runout at .002" and .0015" tested with the same dial indicator set up.

Offline Mi 14

« Reply #45 on: August 21, 2011, 03:58:27 AM »
Steve, sorry to hear about your Galfer troubles.
I've had nothing but good since I installed my Galfers in 2009. 20,000+ miles with zero issues, and I use my brakes HARD.

By the way, Sport Bike Track Gear had the best price I could find, and the fact that they are local is great!

Steve, did you and I put the Galfers on about the same time? I seem to remember some correspondence we had. Mine went on right after the US GP at Indy in 2009 (Sept.).

Offline jamiemac

« Reply #46 on: August 21, 2011, 04:45:55 AM »
Anyone ever try Brembo rotors? They have some quality stuff.
2008 C14, Area-P carbon fiber, PCV, Rostra Cruise, LAAM leather seat, Optilux 1500 & MondoMoto MM10 lights, Cee Bailey windshield, BMC air filter, Warm & Safe dual dash mounted heat troller.

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #47 on: August 21, 2011, 06:53:44 AM »
Anyone ever try Brembo rotors? They have some quality stuff.

I have been doing some research on Brembo rotors and calipers.  There aren't any kits for the C14 (that I have found) but a kit for the ZX-14 runs about $1,700 which is steep but it is something to think about once I run out of warranty coverage.
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #48 on: August 21, 2011, 07:31:45 AM »
You may want to check the ZX-14 forums for any issues with those.  They have the same problems with the rotors as we do.  Our front ends are heavier than theirs so while the kit may work for them and physically work for us we may have issues where they might not.  'ware the law of Unintended Consequences....   With that being said, I would like someone to experiment with that setup.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Steve Bell

« Reply #49 on: August 21, 2011, 08:13:31 AM »

Steve, did you and I put the Galfers on about the same time? I seem to remember some correspondence we had. Mine went on right after the US GP at Indy in 2009 (Sept.).

I installed my first set in July 2010 and only got around 3500KMS on the bike before the rotors warped.

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #50 on: September 18, 2011, 10:43:17 AM »
got over 40k on my galfers and just changed pads @ 35k.work perfect no issues,unlike stockers which I fried in 10k.Using street HH pads from galfer.Brake very powerful and responsive with great feedback. ;D
happy trails     2016 c14

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
Re: C-14 Galfer Rotors pulsating.
« Reply #51 on: September 18, 2011, 10:48:07 AM »
After a few days of phone tag I finally got to talk to a Tech at Galfer. First off he is aware of the Kawasaki rotor issue and he heard that the problem with Kawasaki's warping Rotors was pistons not retracting in the calipers properly and brake pads dragging and warping the rotors!! He also said it was easier for Kawasaki to replace rotors rather than brake calipers.
So he tells me I probably have a brake piston problem.
He told me that the run out tolerence for Galfer is .004" and if I want to blast my rotors to remove old pad material to use #90 glass beads. The other method he recommended is 400 grit wet/dry sandpaper wet with soap and water in a figure 8 motion.
I will check my calipers for binding pistons and the run out on the rotors and let you know.

Steve.

bet he heard that RUMOR on the Internet too huh.

41,000 miles no pulsing but have went through quite a few front brake pads.
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline TR34

• Today is today. Tomorrow is an another day.
« Reply #52 on: September 18, 2011, 01:25:45 PM »
Well, I have had my rotors replaced under warranty a couple a weeks ago. My bike is 09 and I have about 11.000 mil. on it. And I am definately a front brake user compearing to some other riders. Left front rotor was warped and my dealer put a two new ones (2011 ones) and I am afraid they will be warped, too. Reason is ; I think left caliper mounting surfice on the fork is not paralel to each other. When I put a paralel on it (the ones used on machining work at the brigeports in a wise) I feel small amount rocking on the two machined surfice at the front fork where the caliper mount. Also, it is very challenging to mount the calipers, specially if you have some friction on the caliper mount bolts, they tend to twist the caliper and that causes for a un even wear on the pads. 
2009 Concours. Area P. Slip on, Flies out, PC V, Quick shifter.
Dual Muzzy someday!

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #53 on: September 18, 2011, 03:56:45 PM »
Interesting....
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Wanderlust

« Reply #54 on: January 24, 2012, 10:05:54 PM »
Well, I have had my rotors replaced under warranty a couple a weeks ago. My bike is 09 and I have about 11.000 mil. on it. And I am definately a front brake user compearing to some other riders. Left front rotor was warped and my dealer put a two new ones (2011 ones) and I am afraid they will be warped, too. Reason is ; I think left caliper mounting surfice on the fork is not paralel to each other. When I put a paralel on it (the ones used on machining work at the brigeports in a wise) I feel small amount rocking on the two machined surfice at the front fork where the caliper mount. Also, it is very challenging to mount the calipers, specially if you have some friction on the caliper mount bolts, they tend to twist the caliper and that causes for a un even wear on the pads.

I had my front rotors replaced under warranty and the warping/pulsating gremlin came right back - so the dealer got permission from Kawasaki to replace practically everything associated with calipers and rotors. Haven't had a problem since.
Madness does not always howl. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, Hey, is there room in your head for one more?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #55 on: January 25, 2012, 04:46:13 AM »
Practically everything, heh?  Front wheel, forks, calipers?  Come on, give us a hint on what else was replaced. 

Offline Wanderlust

« Reply #56 on: January 29, 2012, 10:01:45 PM »
Practically everything, heh?  Front wheel, forks, calipers?  Come on, give us a hint on what else was replaced.

See attached schematic from the service manual for items I understood were replaced the second time.
Madness does not always howl. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, Hey, is there room in your head for one more?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #57 on: January 30, 2012, 04:35:37 AM »
Rotors, I understand.  Caliper pistons and seals...now that's interesting.