Author Topic: Random nonsense  (Read 64346 times)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Random nonsense
« Reply #60 on: August 23, 2023, 03:43:44 AM »
Went to the Toyota dealer the other day to drop off the Prius for service work.  Decided to look at the '23 Tundras.  I liked the styling and the interiors, but OMG the price.  One was 66k and the other was 71k.  My Tacoma looked like a toy compared to them.  Both running V6 with Turbo.  No V8 anymore.  And one was a Hybrid!  It was the 71k one.    What I found strange was the mpg on both.  19/22 city highway, which is similar to my Taco.  I couldn't understand the same mpg on the Hybrid though.  What's the point of a Hybrid if the mpg is the same?  Well, in doing some research on it, the hybrid generates more HP and torque.  Also the mpg figures seem to be inflated according to reviewers.  In the end neither of them are in my future.  I just can't see buying them.  I don't need anything that expensive to drive around in and I don't tow or scream around at high speed like some of those auto commercials show people doing these days.

One other fact I found out from the salesman is that if you see a Toyota emblem that is blue, it's a hybrid!  I've been owning hybrids since late 2004 and I never knew that.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Big Red

• Arena
« Reply #61 on: August 23, 2023, 08:54:03 AM »
I have 5 more weekends to get my car ready for the drag races. It's getting damn close. Might have to take a day or two off work to get it done.
2010 C14, Shoodaben Engineering MRP Flash, Delkevic slip-on, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, highway pegs, tail tidy, AST peg lowering brackets, LED switchbacks all the way around, Bright2Wheels tail light, StompGrips, custom seat, 2015 C14 vented and blacked out windshield, Dunlop RS3s, and a Fat Ninja hat.

Offline Big Red

• Arena
« Reply #62 on: August 28, 2023, 01:07:01 PM »
Hope to fire this guy up next weekend.

2010 C14, Shoodaben Engineering MRP Flash, Delkevic slip-on, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, highway pegs, tail tidy, AST peg lowering brackets, LED switchbacks all the way around, Bright2Wheels tail light, StompGrips, custom seat, 2015 C14 vented and blacked out windshield, Dunlop RS3s, and a Fat Ninja hat.

Offline Big Red

• Arena
« Reply #63 on: September 05, 2023, 12:05:12 PM »
It runs!

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #64 on: September 06, 2023, 05:26:37 AM »
 Was there any doubt?
:banana :banana :banana :banana
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
  • 2001 Concours, ~35K miles
« Reply #65 on: September 06, 2023, 07:38:10 AM »
Congrats!
Post a video if you can, Red.

Offline Big Red

• Arena
« Reply #66 on: September 06, 2023, 09:46:10 AM »
Click to go to Flickr for the vid

Offline Big Red

• Arena
« Reply #67 on: September 06, 2023, 09:47:13 AM »
Was there any doubt?
:banana :banana :banana :banana

Unfortunately. The motor hasn't been run for 5 years, and the car hasn't ever had a running motor. I bought it without a motor and trans.

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
« Reply #68 on: September 06, 2023, 11:00:32 AM »
That's a nice album you got there Red.

Aren't these supposed to growl? That is how you put fear into pansy city boys like me.

Offline Big Red

• Arena
« Reply #69 on: September 06, 2023, 11:06:57 AM »
Basically running open headers for now. Having an exhaust was an un-needed waste of time. The drag race we're getting ready for is on the 29th, and we still have a fair bit to go.

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
« Reply #70 on: September 06, 2023, 11:24:01 AM »
May I ask, ballpark, how much is such an undertaking costing you? These are expensive. And is that your shop or home garage?

Offline Big Red

• Arena
« Reply #71 on: September 06, 2023, 11:37:29 AM »
That's my best friend's home shop. Cars are expensive. Especially race cars. I'd have to guess probably $10k in accumulated parts. I've been getting parts/hand-me-downs/gifts for 15 years. The final stretch to get it going has been probably $3k.

Offline Big Red

• Arena
« Reply #72 on: September 19, 2023, 08:10:20 AM »

Offline Big Red

• Arena
« Reply #73 on: September 25, 2023, 10:48:29 AM »
We got the car done in 17 days. Racing Friday and Saturday!

Offline Big Red

• Arena
« Reply #74 on: October 05, 2023, 01:05:36 PM »
Made 5 passes. My best ET was 13.000 and the motor popped. Will find out this weekend what happened. I think we melted a hole in a piston.

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
« Reply #75 on: October 05, 2023, 01:21:35 PM »
What! How does one melt a hole in the piston?! Please take pics.

Offline Big Red

• Arena
« Reply #76 on: October 05, 2023, 02:52:35 PM »
150hp shot of nitrous. One intake valve rocker decided to loosen up, and the next cylinder fed from that part of the intake got a double shot at 6k RPM. There will be pics next week.

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #77 on: October 06, 2023, 01:56:23 AM »
Melting a hole in a piston is easy. All you need is for the mixture to be too lean and Nitrous effectively adds oxygen so leans out the mix massively unless you add a lot of extra fuel. Gas burns SUPER hot very close to the spark plug if leaned out too much, and that hotspot eats into the piston crown until it burns through and you lose compression.
I had N2O on a Yamaha XS250 back in my late teens and we holed a couple of pistons before we got the mixture right. Was fun though as we had the only 250 that could stay with 750s off the line and could get to 115Mph.  8)
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline Big Red

• Arena
« Reply #78 on: October 06, 2023, 08:56:57 AM »
It's a wet system, so leaning out shouldn't have been a problem, but anything is possible.

Offline Big Red

• Arena
« Reply #79 on: October 09, 2023, 09:25:10 AM »
So cylinder 1 intake valve:

Meant double shot to cylinder 4, leading to this: