Author Topic: How do you remove a seized oil filter?  (Read 1135 times)

Offline Charliedog

How do you remove a seized oil filter?
« on: December 29, 2022, 05:24:19 PM »
I've been away for awhile, but I'm back with a need for ideas and suggestions.

The weather was nice enough today to go for a ride and then change the oil on my C14.  I removed the drain plug and drained the oil, but could not budge the oil filter.  We all know how inaccessible it is, and I was working on it over an hour, but no success.  I tried several cap style wrenches, another tool that looked like a big scissors with the curved blades to grip, Channel-locks, vice-grips.  Years ago I drove a screw driver through a filter and used that for leverage to loosen the filter.  No luck today, I eventually mangled the filter and removed it in pieces, except for the base. That may still be there long after I'm gone... 

I have a service manual and think if I remove the lower body panel, I'll get a bit more access to the darn thing.

Any other advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

CharlieDog
Bristol, TN

Offline Rubber_Snake

• Arena
  • 2009 GTR1400 ABS, Black
Re: How do you remove a seized oil filter?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2022, 05:46:03 PM »
Hey Charlie.  Post a picture of the oil filter so everyone can better advise you.  I’m guessing there’s still enough left to use something to gain enough purchase to break that thing loose.
2009 GTR 1400 ABS, 48k miles, AMSOIL synthetic 10W-40 (since new), AMSOIL synthetic 75W-90 final drive (since new). Helibar Horizons, Oxford heated grips, V-Stream windscreen, Mountain Runner Flash, Brian’s low fuel eliminator farkle, ST2 smart brake module and smart turn system, Two Brothers Black Series M5 w/P1X decibel killer.

Offline Big Red

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2022, 08:59:47 PM »
Strap wrench strap wrapped around the end of a 1/2” drive extension. Works well.
2010 C14, Shoodaben Engineering MRP Flash, Delkevic slip-on, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, highway pegs, tail tidy, AST peg lowering brackets, LED switchbacks all the way around, Bright2Wheels tail light, StompGrips, custom seat, 2015 C14 vented and blacked out windshield, Dunlop RS3s, and a Fat Ninja hat.

Offline mikebike

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2022, 04:28:41 AM »
Harbor Freight

PITTSBURGH
Universal 3 Jaw Adjustable Oil Filter Wrench
(3)

Adjustable oil filter wrench is ideal for work in confined spaces.

$8.99

If you destroyed the filter body you will have to coax the remains off with a hammer and tap on a screwdriver to ease the remains off the threads.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2022, 05:23:44 AM »
This happened to me once (and only once, and it was my fault for over-tightening it).  I borrowed one of those "claw" kind of wrenches from a neighbor.  Even with that, it took a lot of work to get it off.  It was a mangled mess when I finally succeeded.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2022, 10:39:34 AM »
Once they are mangled they become a nightmare to remove.
When you put the screwdriver through you need to use your biggest (widest) screwdriver to give enough purchase.
Now you will need to remove the belly pan to get enough access.
I have had to use a cold-chisel and a hammer to crack loose a mangled car oil filter before now.
Once it moves, it'll spin off easy so long as you haven't damaged the thread.

For anyone fitting a new oil filter,.. NEVER use any tool to tighten the filter.
Lightly oil the rubber seal and hand tighten ONLY!!!
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline tynesidebob

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2022, 12:58:44 PM »
I have small holes drilled through the top and sides of my filter cup wrench.
I put the wrench on so I have access to one or two of the holes then I drive a self tapping screw through the hole and filter.
Once the two are locked together they work like they should.
The problem is mass production techniques.
To ensure all the filters fit all the wrenches they make the filters slightly small.
To ensure all the wrenches fit all the filters they make the wrenches slightly big.
The result is sloppy fitting **** that doesn’t work unless you modify it.
But it is cheap.
If things were still made by craftsmen they would cost a lot and work perfectly.
Those were the days.

Offline Big Red

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2022, 02:14:59 PM »
I like the K&N filter because it has the nut on the end that's the same size as the drain plug. Doesn't help you now, but definitely makes removal easier.

Here's a link to what I was talking about earlier. https://a.co/d/9o5eHHM
2010 C14, Shoodaben Engineering MRP Flash, Delkevic slip-on, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, highway pegs, tail tidy, AST peg lowering brackets, LED switchbacks all the way around, Bright2Wheels tail light, StompGrips, custom seat, 2015 C14 vented and blacked out windshield, Dunlop RS3s, and a Fat Ninja hat.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2022, 04:29:51 PM »
I like the K&N filter because it has the nut on the end that's the same size as the drain plug. Doesn't help you now, but definitely makes removal easier.

Ironically, the one I had to mangle, in the story above, *was* a K&N with the "nut on the end".  The nut is shallow and rounded, so there is no good way (in my experience) to apply enough torque to actually remove a stuck filter.  Don't get me wrong- I like K&N filters, and I still use them.  Just don't expect that nut will help much if the filter is too tight.  It is very convenient when not overtightened.

Now, how did mine get over-tightened?  Not sure.  I applied oil to the gasket, as always.  And I hand-tightened it.  Perhaps I just went too far, even by hand.  Perhaps contaminates.  Who knows.  Thankfully it happened only once, and after that, I made sure never to crank it down, even by hand.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2022, 06:32:16 AM »
This was a problem early on with oil filters on this bike.  I only ever used the K&N filters though and only hand tightened them.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.