Author Topic: 08 front and rear weave or wobble... is this common?  (Read 12275 times)

Offline sherob

• Arena
Re: 08 front and rear weave or wobble... is this common?
« Reply #40 on: October 03, 2015, 12:01:43 PM »
I have the Marc Parnes balancer... works great...

http://www.marcparnes.com/Kawasaki_Motorcycle_Wheel_Balancer.htm
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline texrider

« Reply #41 on: October 04, 2015, 07:16:17 AM »
Harbor Freight has a decent little motorcycle bead breaker. Use wood blocks between rim and floor so you don't lean on the rotors while wrestling with the tire. Some rim protectors and a bit of care with the tire spoons should keep the wheels looking good!
2014 Valkyrie

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #42 on: October 04, 2015, 11:20:43 AM »
Figured motorcycle tires would be easy....
That has not been my experience, at least not until I got the HF tire changer and equipped it with the Mojo hardware. I'd hate to think what my rotors would look like if I had to wrestle with my wheels on the floor with tire irons. Most likely because I become a real hot head when it comes to uncooperative, sweat inducing inanimate objects that aren't doing what the hell I want them to where upon I get longer leverage and much larger hammers and....oh,.. sorry...I was reliving my first tire iron experience there for a minute. Apologies. Yeah, best of luck with that.

I have the Marc Parnes balancer... works great...

http://www.marcparnes.com/Kawasaki_Motorcycle_Wheel_Balancer.htm

Agreed. Almost too good if you have a tendency toward anal retentive balancing and a large supply of weights available. :o

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #43 on: October 04, 2015, 01:06:46 PM »
MC Tires are easy.  I take the wheel down to my local shop and they change and balance for $20.  What's not to like?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Rhino

• Arena

Offline LandRocket

« Reply #45 on: October 06, 2015, 10:33:40 AM »
Does the Marc Parnes work for both front and rear tire?

Also i did another ride yesterday, did not do 90 but hit around 85 or so... No vibration.

For starters i am just going to check the balance first before a tire change. If the tires are in balance then i will go ahead and get tires.

The bad thing is i am now scared to go fast. I have lost some faith in the bike fearing i will get a wobble again and possibly worse than before. I guess this may be a good thing keeping my speed down but i do like to pass sometimes and that is when i tend to creep up the speed fast.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #46 on: October 06, 2015, 10:38:38 AM »

Also i did another ride yesterday, did not do 90 but hit around 85 or so... No vibration.

For starters i am just going to check the balance first before a tire change. If the tires are in balance then i will go ahead and get tires.

The bad thing is i am now scared to go fast. I have lost some faith in the bike fearing i will get a wobble again and possibly worse than before. I guess this may be a good thing keeping my speed down but i do like to pass sometimes and that is when i tend to creep up the speed fast.

Yes. It uses precision machined cones to go into the wheel bearings on both sides such that it doesn't matter what size the axle is. The friction is so low that you do not spin the wheel at all as even the slightest imbalance will start it rolling one way or the other.

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #47 on: October 06, 2015, 10:52:19 PM »

Get rid of the crap tires. The C14 is very sensitive to tires, much more so than any bike I have owned so far, and mine likes new PR's very much, thank you.

Offline LandRocket

« Reply #48 on: October 11, 2015, 06:54:14 PM »
Quick update for all,

just put in 42 PSI on the tires, feel better at 85 mph however... . when on very smooth surface and pushing the bike or simple rolling, i can feel the tires have little bumps or edges on the treads. reminds me of what car tires do when you don't rotate them. I will be getting new tires soon, just wanted to throw that our there.

Offline PH14

« Reply #49 on: October 11, 2015, 08:37:06 PM »
Get rid of the crap tires. The C14 is very sensitive to tires, much more so than any bike I have owned so far, and mine likes new PR's very much, thank you.

According to the OP, he has Michelin tires on the bike, they aren't "cheap tires." Secondly, I have had no issue with any tire I have put on the C14, including the OEM tires, which were crap, but they didn't exhibit the problem the OP had. If it has to do with the tires, it is that they are worn. I have never seen any problem with wobble on a C14 that was simply because of a particular brand of tire.

I do agree though that the PR4s are good tires. They are what I am running. The OP has other issues though, not simply tire choice.

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #50 on: October 11, 2015, 11:17:10 PM »
According to the OP, he has Michelin tires on the bike, they aren't "cheap tires." Secondly, I have had no issue with any tire I have put on the C14, including the OEM tires, which were crap, but they didn't exhibit the problem the OP had. If it has to do with the tires, it is that they are worn. I have never seen any problem with wobble on a C14 that was simply because of a particular brand of tire.

I do agree though that the PR4s are good tires. They are what I am running. The OP has other issues though, not simply tire choice.

I had a high speed tank slapper with the original 021 Crapstones when they had about 4000 miles wear on them- I blamed the bike until someone in the forum suggested Michelin PR's. I put a set of PR2's (55 rear) and restored my faith in this great bike. 

Offline PH14

« Reply #51 on: October 12, 2015, 09:05:30 AM »
I had a high speed tank slapper with the original 021 Crapstones when they had about 4000 miles wear on them- I blamed the bike until someone in the forum suggested Michelin PR's. I put a set of PR2's (55 rear) and restored my faith in this great bike.

New tires have a tendency to help in matters like that. They aren't cupped and are most likely in better balance. I had no issues like that with my OEM tires, and they lasted 8200 miles on the front and 10000 miles on the rear. Yes, I rode it fast. No they didn't handle as well as my PR4s, but they didn't give me high speed tank slappers.

Quite often the problem lies with bad suspension settings (lowering the bike incorrectly), poor tire balance, incorrect tire pressure, and other issues already stated in this thread. Too low tire pressure can cause damage to the tire itself, damage that cannot be seen, which can cause issues with handling. When you damage cords within the caracas the tire can do all sorts of squirrelly things, wandering and at speed I am sure it could induce a tank slapper. The same thing holds true with bad patching of a tire using plugs. Often the person plugging the tire damages cords while preparing the hole for the plug causing issues.

The tires themselves, if maintained well, should not cause an issue on the C14. Tires do go out of balance with wear, especially the front which tends to cup on a heavy bike like the C14. Getting them balanced as they wear can help.