Author Topic: long distance touring guys. How have you modified your C14?  (Read 35694 times)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Re: long distance touring guys. How have you modified your C14?
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2012, 03:40:44 PM »
Mine has a set of bar risers, BMW sport grips, Buell pegs (lower than stock with more cornering clearance than stock), a CalSci 6+ windshield and an MRA visor on top of that (total windshield height is about 9" higher than a stock '08 C-14), a Corbin saddle and Airhawk cushions. I cannot ride the bike for more than about 45 minutes with the Corbin alone but with the Airhawk I can go 50 hours continuous (not a typo- fifty hours) without anything specific hurting.  http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=2286.0  The biggest single change in comfort was the saddle- I can go about 3 hours on a stock seat, and maybe 4-5 hours on a Russell Day- Long before pain sets in. The Airhawk simply eliminates high pressure points and allows open- ended riding, at least for me, and the Corbin is the perfect bed for the Airhawk to sit on.

A Rostra CC works well on the C-14 but not as well as most factory autos, and it does not work as well as the factory CC on BMW's that I have ridden. Still, the Rostra will work more than well enough to make it very useful when grinding out a lot of highway miles. It works best at highway speeds as there is some load on the bike and that tends to buffer the changes in throttle. It will also work on secondary roads but it can be a little bit 'sharp' and move the throttle too much ending up with the bike's speed porpoising up and down quite a bit.

Brian

For guys like me who routinely have to churn out lots of interstate, and like 1,000 mile days, how have you modified your C14 for maximum touring comfort? Moreover, can you post pictures as well? 

Lastly, how much have your modifications improved the C14's touring capabilities vs. stock?

Nice set up! Are the rises the Heli risers and wedge combo? Also, does th Rosta not work well enough for quick in traffic settings? Hoping the Rosta works nicely like a factory unit.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Supatramp

« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2012, 04:57:11 PM »
Corbin saddle and Airhawk cushions. I cannot ride the bike for more than about 45 minutes with the Corbin alone but with the Airhawk I can go 50 hours continuous (not a typo- fifty hours) without anything specific hurting.  http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=2286.0  The biggest single change in comfort was the saddle- I can go about 3 hours on a stock seat, and maybe 4-5 hours on a Russell Day- Long before pain sets in. The Airhawk simply eliminates high pressure points and allows open- ended riding, at least for me, and the Corbin is the perfect bed for the Airhawk to sit on.

Brian

Agreed, the Air Hawk is a great option. I use two different models, on aftermarket seats, on 5 bikes. They and my heated liner, are the best aftermarket items, I've invested in.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2012, 05:14:34 PM »
The saddle under the cushion is important too- I had absolutely no success in using an Airhawk on a stock C-14 saddle. And while on the subject of an Airhawk, I would also point out that the new, less expensive Airhawk-2 does not seem like the best way to go. They are stiffer than the original and not nearly as durable.... and I have not found the originals to be exceptionally durable to start with.

Brian

Agreed, the Air Hawk is a great option. I use two different models, on aftermarket seats, on 5 bikes. They and my heated liner, are the best aftermarket items, I've invested in.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline JamminJere

« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2012, 09:29:00 PM »
The saddle under the cushion is important too- I had absolutely no success in using an Airhawk on a stock C-14 saddle. And while on the subject of an Airhawk, I would also point out that the new, less expensive Airhawk-2 does not seem like the best way to go. They are stiffer than the original and not nearly as durable.... and I have not found the originals to be exceptionally durable to start with.

Brian

Agreed.. My Airhawk works well on top of the sargent.. but didn't do as well on a stock C14 saddle... and if you are in the market for the Airhawk.. stay away from the cheaper Airhawk 2 and go with the new revised Airhawk R (R for RELIEF) or the original as a second choice..

JJ
There really isn't much different between the masses... and them asses..

Offline CalBoy

« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2012, 10:44:22 PM »
KB bar risers, Throttlemeister, Russell Day-Long seat. It does the trick for me. :)

Offline eng943

« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2012, 04:13:22 AM »
Mine has a set of bar risers, BMW sport grips, Buell pegs (lower than stock with more cornering clearance than stock), a CalSci 6+ windshield and an MRA visor on top of that (total windshield height is about 9" higher than a stock '08 C-14), a Corbin saddle and Airhawk cushions. I cannot ride the bike for more than about 45 minutes with the Corbin alone but with the Airhawk I can go 50 hours continuous (not a typo- fifty hours) without anything specific hurting.  http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=2286.0  The biggest single change in comfort was the saddle- I can go about 3 hours on a stock seat, and maybe 4-5 hours on a Russell Day- Long before pain sets in. The Airhawk simply eliminates high pressure points and allows open- ended riding, at least for me, and the Corbin is the perfect bed for the Airhawk to sit on.

A Rostra CC works well on the C-14 but not as well as most factory autos, and it does not work as well as the factory CC on BMW's that I have ridden. Still, the Rostra will work more than well enough to make it very useful when grinding out a lot of highway miles. It works best at highway speeds as there is some load on the bike and that tends to buffer the changes in throttle. It will also work on secondary roads but it can be a little bit 'sharp' and move the throttle too much ending up with the bike's speed porpoising up and down quite a bit.

Brian

Great information, thank you. This is the first I've read how the Rosta works compared to the factory unit I am used to. Understandable, but I suppose to be expected that it does not work as well.

I just want to be comfortable. After raising the bars/lowering the pegs, etc., my K1300GT was a pretty decent long distance bike. I think my C14 should be comperable to it, maybe a touch less fairing than my old K13, but the Ultra Tour and hand winglets should help.
2017 C14 - AST Risers / Peg Lowering kit / mccruise /Garmin 595/Shoodaben MR / Area P / Kawi Touring Seat.
Second Bike 2017 BMW R12R

Offline lt1

• 2008 C14
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2012, 08:26:53 PM »
Hi all.  Lots of great advice here.  I added all the recommended farkles to my C14 and it turned out great!  Enjoy the pic.
Eyes, Brain, Hands.  Repeat.

Offline Tremainiac

« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2012, 08:53:29 PM »
Hi all.  Lots of great advice here.  I added all the recommended farkles to my C14 and it turned out great!  Enjoy the pic.

Added ALL those farkles  + 150 pounds or so, AND removed 80-90 horse power to end up with that!
Fascinating...  :yikes:
Hey mister, my sister has a Harley 'just' like yours!!
2009 Concours 14, 2003 Triumph Thunderbird Sport
1980 Honda CM400 street tracker, Grubee Skyhawk

Son of Pappy

« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2012, 09:11:32 PM »
Awe shucks Clyde, I had no idea ya loved chrome ;D

Offline lt1

• 2008 C14
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2012, 09:18:38 PM »
FWIW, the prior post was an attempt at humor.  I don't have a Harley.  But that seems to be the direction most of the farkles mentioned are aimed at.  When you all start adding tassels I'll be fully convinced.

Oh, I like a bit of chrome and/or stainless okay, but normally do not add it to my vehicles for show.
Eyes, Brain, Hands.  Repeat.

Offline AZ-ZG

« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2012, 10:26:14 PM »
Cee Bailey's Euro, oil, gasoline, tires!!  8) 

Whenever I'm around 'Wingers they ask "Where's the cruise control?"  In my right wrist, you lazy puke!!  :P
I live. I ride. I am. ZG14 
IBA#53928

Son of Pappy

« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2012, 12:33:01 AM »
FWIW, the prior post was an attempt at humor.  I don't have a Harley.  But that seems to be the direction most of the farkles mentioned are aimed at.  When you all start adding tassels I'll be fully convinced.

Oh, I like a bit of chrome and/or stainless okay, but normally do not add it to my vehicles for show.
I saw the humor, I'm kinda surprised ya didn't see mine ;)

I forgot to add my fav farkle, baker hand wings.  Out here in the PNW they is almost a necessity, combined with heated grips I wear my summer gloves until it's in the mid 30s if it's raining out, if it's dry out I've ridden in the 20s with the summer gloves on.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2012, 10:42:04 AM »

Yup! The day they make a Harley with 150hp that weighs under 700lbs, can carve the corners like a sport bike I'm in. Until then I will farkle the C14 for 800 mile days and get out and ride.

Offline jonathan

« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2012, 08:18:54 AM »
How did you lower the bars?

Basically I cut a 1 inch chunk out of the handle bar brackets and then welded them back together.

MGvalerio

« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2012, 12:19:09 AM »
Piastra porta TOP CASA con ganci traino,o porta caschi ;)

http://youtu.be/HWSbDFGj9dU

MGvalerio

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2012, 04:06:58 AM »
MG, we need a translated play by play. I saw things on your bike that were very interesting.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2012, 04:36:54 AM »
I'll say..   Can't speak English but he knows where to put the Accessory posts.  I like this guy.  We need a translate button.  There has to be someone here that speaks Italian/English that can translate for us.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2012, 04:39:37 AM »
Italian?
The guys got more vids on youtube. Click on the youtube logo in the above vid.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2012, 04:45:04 AM »
Italian?

Piastra porta TOP CASA con ganci traino,o porta  =   Plate door TOP HOUSE with tow hooks,or porta helmets

That's what I'm thinking at the moment...the translator seems to think so as well.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline philipintexas

• Phils Farkels
« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2012, 08:03:33 AM »
For me it was simple, A paint job, A Cee Bailey's "Ultra Tour" windscreen, more storage (Shad-50L), a Corbin seat, and pulling the bars back enough to sit upright the way God intended. (I'm old, so I want to sit upright...)
Need a better luggage rack?  www.philsfarkels.com