Author Topic: Has anyone "cut down" a windscreen? Do's and don'ts??  (Read 6773 times)

Offline wally_games

• Arena
Re: Has anyone "cut down" a windscreen? Do's and don'ts??
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2011, 03:55:15 PM »
Hmm, per the CalSci website (http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Concoursprod.html) :

"Shorty made from 3mm thick (1/8") dark tint acrylic."

I say go slow, don't let the cutting teeth take too aggressive of a bite.

Proceed with caution. Do not let the part you're cutting off get "out of plane" with the part you're leaving behind or you're likely to crack the shield.

In my past experience, we cut polycarbonate with a saw and cut acrylic with a router (double fluted carbide bit).
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2011, 04:02:36 PM »
Proceed with caution. Do not let the part you're cutting off get "out of plane" with the part you're leaving behind or you're likely to crack the shield.

In my past experience, we cut polycarbonate with a saw and cut acrylic with a router (double fluted carbide bit).

Thanks for the help WG, so wouldn't a dremel work much like a router as you're describing??  ???

Offline C1xRider

• Where did all the posts go?!??
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2011, 04:17:01 PM »

Hey Rob,
Would you recommend using a jigsaw or a dremel??  :-\

Hey Jay,

The last shield I made was from Lexan.  I used a jigsaw for the rough cut, and a Dremel for the clean up and detail cuts.  I actually used a Dremel bit that looks like a regular drill bit, but is made for side cutting (sides of the bit are the cutting edge).  That worked great.

For Acrylic, I would probably just use the Dremel.  It still requires going slow and steady - i.e. don't force the blade.  Also, make sure the plastic is nice and warm.  How much are you planning to cut off?  If you're removing enough, you could make a couple of smaller practice cuts.

Any flapping or flexing on either side of the cut can cause it to crack, starting at the cut point, then off in some direction you don't want it to go.  You want to be sure to support both sides after the blade cuts through, so the part you are removing isn't flapping around.  You may also want to cut off the strip you are removing several times before it gets too long.  The more support you have closest to the blade is best.

Using some painters masking tape will help prevent tools from scratching the plastic, but I have seen a jig saw scrape through the tape, and still leave marks.  You might want to put down a couple layers of tape if you go that route.

If you use a variable speed jig saw, you should go slow with a medium or fine tooth blade.  Heat from the blade will start melting the plastic, so you can get a feel for how much speed it takes before it starts overheating.  Once it starts sticking to the blade, it will flex the plastic abruptly, then it's all over.  It's real easy to start cutting, discover the blade is going through the plastic like a hot knife through butter, and start pushing it because it seems so easy.
--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2011, 04:28:37 PM »
Just a wealth of knowledge on here! Thanks brutha's!  :chugbeer:

Offline DaveO

« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2011, 05:28:49 PM »
If I were to do a project like this I would find a low center point and affix a string to it. Figure out how far I wanted to cut off and tie the other end of the string to a marker. Have some masking tape on the shield in the rough area of where I was planning on cutting. Then I would mark it as if I ware using a drawing compass.
yes, there is all kinds of ways to make a radius. (compass and string ,trash can lid  ,big pie plate ) I like to put it on paper  cut it out , and mock up on the sheild in place to see how it will look.

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2011, 11:28:40 PM »

Thanks for the help WG, so wouldn't a dremel work much like a router as you're describing??  ???

A Dremel bit is a small diameter, so I'd be worried about it starting to melt rather than cut. We always used 1/4" diameter bits. Just be careful. Again, keep that cut off part from flapping and putting stress on your cutting point. Acrylic is brittle and will crack fairly easily, unlike polycarbonate that is very flexible.

Use a fine toothed blade. I'd cut it a bit long, then finish it off slowly with a medium grit sanding disk or belt sander, making sure you don't generate a lot of heat. Do the final sanding with fine grit and a block. If you're daring, you can use a flame to polish the edge, but that is a very tricky thing to do, especially if you've never done it.
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline Conrad

« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2011, 07:06:34 AM »
yes, there is all kinds of ways to make a radius. (compass and string ,trash can lid  ,big pie plate ) I like to put it on paper  cut it out , and mock up on the sheild in place to see how it will look.

I made the cut line by tracing the top of my old non-tinted stock shield on to the stocker that I was going to cut. 
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn