Author Topic: Side bag key knobs  (Read 19508 times)

Excavator

Side bag key knobs
« on: August 22, 2011, 04:58:35 PM »
I'm sure this has already been done and posted on the old forum but i'll just put it up again.

This is so much better than digging the key out at each stop and only being able to open one bag at a time, also opens the fuel cap. Cheap $15.00 key mod.

Offline So Cal Joe

Re: Side bag key knobs
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, 07:14:24 PM »
like this

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 07:33:58 PM »
What kind of knobs did you use?  I have been wanting to do this for a while now.
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Excavator

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011, 08:14:32 PM »
I can't make out what Joe used but mine are simply toilet bowl caps (for where the bolt comes up through the floor). Lowe's has them for 4.79 in black and they have the epoxy I used also for 4.99, I should have done it much sooner.........this from someone who has not pinned his bags yet.  :o

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2011, 08:24:24 PM »
Thanks, I will try to get the supplies and two keys cut, tomorrow. 

Excavator

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2011, 08:40:10 PM »
Thanks, I will try to get the supplies and two keys cut, tomorrow.

You will have to trim the keys to get them to fit down into the caps, I just used a small pair of bolt cutters. Once you mix the epoxy and put it in the caps, you will need to hold the key in place for about 4 - 5 minutes until it sets up. It's kind of a quick, fun little project.

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2011, 08:39:27 AM »
may be a silly question but: how do you do when you leave the bike parked?
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline OregonLAN

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2011, 09:35:40 AM »
If you leave the bike parked, you simply pull the keys.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2011, 09:45:22 AM »
I did this to mine almost immediately after getting my bike. I also cut a groove in the top of the knob so that I could tell at a glance that the case is locked.

Offline PH14

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2011, 09:56:39 AM »

Isn't the idea of a "keeyless" system brilliant? :banghead: It would have been great if you didn't need to use the key for the bags or the fuel tank. As it is I would prefer to have a key for the ignition that could be pulled and used for everything.  :o  The system works fine but you still need a key. A system that wasn't fully implemented.

Offline Stasch

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2011, 11:17:22 AM »
What kind of knobs did you use?  I have been wanting to do this for a while now.

I don't know which ones the poster used, but I used the black plastic screw off cap from a plastic oil quart bottle to do a similar project on my C10's fairing pocket covers.  Works very well and was free.

I also ground off one set of the key points and removed its corresponding tumbler in both C10 fairing door locks.

The cut off key in the knob will not work in the ignition, seat or helmet locks, only the doors. 

The ignition key still works in the door and all other locks.

I also cut a groove in the top of the knob so that I could tell at a glance that the case is locked.

I had painted on a white line which is almost worn off now - this is a better idea.  Thanks.
Stan Visser - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - > C10 STUFF FOR SALE - Parts List

He IS a racer, hence the forward lean!!  by: Mettler1

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2011, 11:25:57 AM »

I'd be a little worried that the knob would vibrate loose or get bumped by my passenger, then having the door fly open or the bag come off.

Is a cool idea, though.
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline Y0ssarian

• Arena
  • 97% chance of being hit by a piano
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2011, 01:03:38 PM »

Leaving the bike locked and the key in your pocket, which is less convenient than using the stove knob.

Isn't the idea of a "keeyless" system brilliant? :banghead: It would have been great if you didn't need to use the key for the bags or the fuel tank. As it is I would prefer to have a key for the ignition that could be pulled and used for everything.  :o  The system works fine but you still need a key. A system that wasn't fully implemented.

Say the magic words..."Hocus Pocus Dominocus" and voila! Turn the ignition key to the right instead of the left and pull it out.

I think you guys are overthinking this. When you come to a stop, decide if you'll need the key for opening the bags, lifting the seat or opening the fuel tank. If you do, turn the key right and pull it. If not, turn the key left and walk away. That's it!
The words of the prophets are written on the cylinder walls.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2011, 01:07:22 PM »
   Leaving the bike locked and the key in your pocket, which is less convenient than using the stove knob.

Say the magic words..."Hocus Pocus Dominocus" and voila! Turn the ignition key to the right instead of the left and pull it out.

I think you guys are overthinking this. When you come to a stop, decide if you'll need the key for opening the bags, lifting the seat or opening the fuel tank. If you do, turn the key right and pull it. If not, turn the key left and walk away. That's it!

Let's see, left for opening stuff, if not right, right?

It's all so confusing...    ;)
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline So Cal Joe

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2011, 01:19:56 PM »
I used a radio knob from a Gold Wing, The toilet bowl caps might be easier. I leave them in all the time, not worried about the little stuff, most people don't know what they are for anyway.

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2011, 03:44:06 PM »

90% of the time when I stop I have no need to lock the bags. Like at a gas stop or a rest area or my garage. The bags on my Valkyrie you could unlock and pull the key. The only time I ever bothered to lock them was at a hotel or perhaps at a restaurant. Now I have the same functionality on my C14.

Offline MrFurious

« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2011, 12:02:27 AM »
Neat idea, but not something I feel the need to do.  Have had hard bags on other bikes that you could leave unlocked, and sure enough at some point the latch would fail and I'd see my lid flapping in the mirror and my stuff strewn out on the road behind me.  If they were top-opening bags and hinged at the front I'd say sure, ride with them unlocked...but with a side opening bag?  NO WAY!

As for the "hassle" of removing the ignition key, gimme a break guys.  All it takes is a little forethought when you stop, and even if you do forget it's not like it's a difficult task to push down the key and turn it to the FFS position to remove it.  If that is to much work for you, just keep your FOB in your jacket pocket and use the spare in it for gas and the bags as I do.

Taint rocket science folks...it's just a motorsickle.
Jim B.
COG #9642
2009 C14 - Black - Non-ABS
Insanity is not as easy as I make it look!

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2011, 12:26:57 AM »
As for the "hassle" of removing the ignition key, gimme a break guys.  All it takes is a little forethought when you stop, and even if you do forget it's not like it's a difficult task to push down the key and turn it to the FFS position to remove it.  If that is to much work for you, just keep your FOB in your jacket pocket and use the spare in it for gas and the bags as I do.

Taint rocket science folks...it's just a motorsickle.

+1! The only thing that bugs me about using the stove knob is that, when it rains and it's wet, it tends to slip from my fingers when I try to pull it from the ignition (gloves or bare hand), and sometimes I end up taking the key from the FOB.
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2011, 08:52:16 AM »
I look at it like this:

I carry a .380 on my hip and .25 on my ankle, will that stop a charging zombie?   Maybe, maybe not.  So I would like quick access to my real firepower, the Kimber .45 which will most definitely dispatch anything with extreme prejudice.  Do I want to be fumbling with the fob or the stoveknob key while a zombie is bearing down on me, no way.  I want to be able to unlock the pannier in the most expeditious way possible and the "toilet bowl" mod is the best way I have seen.   ;)

Disclaimer:  I really don't believe in zombies, but I was in East St. Louis and Washington D.C. in the same 24 time period so I can say that firepower on a bike isn't exactly a bad thing when you find yourself on the wrong side of the tracks trying to refuel at 0200 hrs.   ;D

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2011, 03:58:52 PM »
I have used them on every bike and really like the convenience.