Author Topic: Painting Muffler End Caps  (Read 9195 times)

Offline JoeR

• COG 9284 / AMA 668669
Painting Muffler End Caps
« on: May 14, 2011, 08:57:49 AM »
BC (before crash) there was a thread about painting the end caps on the bazooka exhaust.  Since it is raining today, I was thinking about doing this mod.  I don't remember what paint the OP used, I'm guessing any exhaust header type paint would do?  I would like to paint the end caps black to try to lessen the visual impact of the muffler.  I really don't want a louder exhaust, and I can't afford to spend the money on an aftermarket muffler.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
Re: Painting Muffler End Caps
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 10:25:16 AM »
Powder coating is the best option IMHO, but some have had good results with high temp spray paint.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2011, 02:59:05 PM »
It was the Grille paint from Home depot, it is in the spray can section.  Mine have stood up ok but I may go the Powder Coat option if I decide on keeping it on.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2011, 03:12:01 PM »
Powder coating is the best option IMHO

+1...

Offline Pynikal

• From power cruiser to power tourer.
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2011, 03:13:17 PM »
It was the Grille paint from Home depot, it is in the spray can section.  Mine have stood up ok but I may go the Powder Coat option if I decide on keeping it on.

that stuff is great BUT beware of how you handle it before you get it hot and baked on.  it is very fragile paint before it is "cooked" on.

Offline philipintexas

• Phils Farkels
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2011, 03:28:47 PM »
Just curious about the suggestion of powder-coating, I bake powder-coated parts  at 400 - 450 degrees, wouldn't the forward end cap get hotter than that?  Has anyone done theirs and does it get soft at operating temp.?
Need a better luggage rack?  www.philsfarkels.com

Offline JoeR

• COG 9284 / AMA 668669
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2011, 04:00:29 PM »
I found some paint at the auto parts store, it is Rustoleum and is made for wheels, supposed to be harder to chip etc. etc.  I decided against black, the color in person looks kinda like the Black Chrome muffler ends that Projeckt D sells, only about $260 cheaper.  Time will tell how this paint lasts.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2011, 04:02:50 PM »
Just curious about the suggestion of powder-coating, I bake powder-coated parts  at 400 - 450 degrees, wouldn't the forward end cap get hotter than that?  Has anyone done theirs and does it get soft at operating temp.?

When I had the bazooka, I had a powder coated end-cap........no issues whatsoever.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline JoeR

• COG 9284 / AMA 668669
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2011, 04:04:18 PM »

Would the front end cap get that hot?  They should be air cooled when moving, I guess if you're stuck in traffic for a while they might.

Offline mfglideman

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2011, 04:58:58 PM »
mine are powder coated and no issues at all   paid about $40 for both

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2011, 05:02:37 PM »

That's some serious shine on your bags Joe, is that scuff gaurd or the reflector stuff??

Offline JoeR

• COG 9284 / AMA 668669
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2011, 06:00:37 PM »
It's the reflector stuff.  Really lights up at night.

Offline easy_rider

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2011, 06:12:49 PM »

that's what i used on mine;)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2011, 07:44:05 PM »
I found some paint at the auto parts store, it is Rustoleum and is made for wheels, supposed to be harder to chip etc. etc.  I decided against black, the color in person looks kinda like the Black Chrome muffler ends that Projeckt D sells, only about $260 cheaper.

What was your purpose in painting it?  Since you chose a color similar to stock (silverish), then I have to assume it was to cover damage or permanent discoloration?
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Excavator

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2011, 10:59:49 PM »
I used the 2000 degree stove paint on the header pipe that is visual under the bike, it is holding so far. I may use it on the end caps also.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2011, 11:10:39 PM »
I used the 2000 degree stove paint on the header pipe that is visual under the bike, it is holding so far. I may use it on the end caps also.

Hmmm.... interesting, looks good, I've been thinking about doing my header pipe like that but was leaning towards Jet-hot coating...

Excavator

« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2011, 11:18:18 PM »

Hmmm.... interesting, looks good, I've been thinking about doing my header pipe like that but was leaning towards Jet-hot coating...

Well, the stove paint is really cheap and anything looks better than the old rusty looking pipe hanging under the bike. If it fades in the future I can just put some more paint on it.

Offline JoeR

• COG 9284 / AMA 668669
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2011, 06:33:17 AM »
What bugged me looking at the muffler, aside from the size, was that the end caps were bright silver.  I wanted to darken them so they didn't stand out so much.  I was out in the garage this morning looking at the color.  It is hard to get a good picture of it with my iPhone camera.  It really just darkened the end caps.  This Rustoleum wheel paint is very metallic, and at least right now, looks good.  Someday I hope to get a carbon fiber muffler.

What was your purpose in painting it?  Since you chose a color similar to stock (silverish), then I have to assume it was to cover damage or permanent discoloration?

Offline JoeR

• COG 9284 / AMA 668669
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2011, 11:24:23 AM »
Here is a more representative picture of how the end caps look after painting them with Rustoleum wheel paint:

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2011, 11:27:19 AM »
That looks nice Joe, I am contemplating having mine Powder Coated that same color.  I posted in the Wanted section my desire for a 2010 or later factory exhaust and if I find one I am gonna definitely get the caps powder coated this color.  :) 

well, I liked it so much I had to try it for myself.  Imitation is the best form  of flattery or something like that.
I like it better than the Flat Black Grille paint. 

After:

Before:
« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 10:42:31 AM by 556ALPHA »