Author Topic: How to prevent wife from sliding forward?  (Read 1747 times)

Offline Tylerkaz

How to prevent wife from sliding forward?
« on: March 06, 2021, 06:57:02 PM »
Hello, so i have the 2011 concours, stock seat with the plullback handle bar risers. I also am trying the air halk R. So i took my wife for a short ride for first time (less than 20 miles) the problem is when slowing down / down shifting (im not slamming on breaks) she slides forward too much. And also with her on the back seems to push me into the tank more. (Also after instaling handle bar risers i seem to push more into the tank than before, or maybe i never relized it before) the other thing was air halk was fine solo but unconfortable for 2 up riding.

I ordered a trunk for the bike maybe this will help a little?

I am also considering the saddleman exploer rs.

Thanks for any sugestions. Iv had the bike for only a couple of weeks. Any pointers are greatly apreciated.

Offline Conrad

Re: How to prevent wife from sliding forward?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2021, 07:22:45 AM »
Here's what is needed.

https://zggtr.org/index.php?topic=24130.0

That seat will help with your issue, rather, your wife's issue. Most, if not all, folks who have tired this seat love it, me included, for two up riding. For one up I prefer the Kawasaki low gel seat.

This seat fits all years of C-14s so fitment isn't a worry.

The texture of the seat covering and the way the seat is shaped help a lot in reducing the amount that you, or your passenger, will slide around. 
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2021, 07:47:01 AM »
My wife had the same compliant.  I bought a roll of dark gray rubber shelf liner $5 at walmart . I cut a piece to fit the rear seat and attached under the seat with two  mini bungee cords. Sliding problem solved. She also complained that it was uncomfortable holding on to the  seat rails so I found some nice rubber coated handles and bolted them to the top of the cases. She like s those a lot and helps  her hold on easily.
I have attached a picture of waht the shelf liner looks like from Wal Mart. I'd be happy to take pictures of the handles on the bike if you are interested.

Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline Tylerkaz

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2021, 07:57:31 AM »
My wife had the same compliant.  I bought a roll of dark gray rubber shelf liner $5 at walmart . I cut a piece to fit the rear seat and attached under the seat with two  mini bungee cords. Sliding problem solved. She also complained that it was uncomfortable holding on to the  seat rails so I found some nice rubber coated handles and bolted them to the top of the cases. She like s those a lot and helps  her hold on easily.
I have attached a picture of waht the shelf liner looks like from Wal Mart. I'd be happy to take pictures of the handles on the bike if you are interested.

Definitly going to try that first thanks! Yea if you could post a picture of the handels that would be great!

Offline Tylerkaz

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2021, 08:30:26 AM »
Here's what is needed.

https://zggtr.org/index.php?topic=24130.0

That seat will help with your issue, rather, your wife's issue. Most, if not all, folks who have tired this seat love it, me included, for two up riding. For one up I prefer the Kawasaki low gel seat.

This seat fits all years of C-14s so fitment isn't a worry.

The texture of the seat covering and the way the seat is shaped help a lot in reducing the amount that you, or your passenger, will slide around.

How dose it compair to sadelman explorer? The cycle gear store said i could return if i didn’t like it. I also saw a 2pc corbin for around $350 on ebay.  I dont realy mind the current seat hight or even slightly higher. We are planing on doing some long rides. I went less than 150 miles round trip by myself  on the stock seat and had to pull over several times on way back from my butt being so sore. I’d think being a touring bike stock should atleast be halfway decent.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2021, 09:18:10 AM »
How dose it compair to sadelman explorer? The cycle gear store said i could return if i didn’t like it. I also saw a 2pc corbin for around $350 on ebay.  I dont realy mind the current seat hight or even slightly higher. We are planing on doing some long rides. I went less than 150 miles round trip by myself  on the stock seat and had to pull over several times on way back from my butt being so sore. I’d think being a touring bike stock should atleast be halfway decent.

Sorry, I couldn't tell you how the Touring seat compares to anything other than the '08 stocker and the Kawasaki Low gel seat since those are the only seats that I have ever had on my bike.

If the Cycle Gear store near you will allow you to take the seat and test it, and return it if you don't like it, I'd give this a go. Nothing to lose right?

The one thing that I personally don't like about the Touring seat is that since it's a bit taller than the stock seat and the low gel seat, it makes one lean over a bit more than the lower seats. Thus resulting in more pressure on my hands and arms. That's not good for me and I have a lot more discomfort as a result when I ride two up. It's very noticeable going from the Low gel seat to the Touring. The Touring seat does soak up a LOT more of the bumps and such though, so it's more comfortable that way too.

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2021, 01:19:52 PM »
Definitly going to try that first thanks! Yea if you could post a picture of the handels that would be great!
Here is a picture of the handle mounted on a saddlebag

Offline Tylerkaz

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2021, 04:20:17 PM »
Here is a picture of the handle mounted on a saddlebag

Did you have to drill through the saddelbag to attach?

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2021, 04:27:49 PM »
Yes, had to drill. A little tricky but dowable.

Offline Wes Carper

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2021, 03:52:34 PM »
The stock seat is actually pretty good.  Maybe also see if she can reach the tank.  On my other bikes my wife slid into me more and she'd put her hands on the tank when coming to a stop.  She's all good on the Concours.  The seat has a decent rise and the passenger grab handles are HUGE compared to what she's ridden on in the past.  I believe she's just been holding on to the grab handles on the concours when stopping.

It would be good for her to learn to use the tank or the grab bars in an emergency stop situation anyway.

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2021, 03:35:43 AM »
Strange how opinions vary isn't it. The stock seat on my 08 model is  :censored: ing awful!

For me (the rider) it's uncomfortable, grips too much resulting in a partial Melvin every time I hit the brakes, and the foam is so thin that after 30 mins I can feel the sides of the seat base sticking into my butt cheeks. It also tilts me forwards resulting in arm ache and lower back pain.

For the pillion, the seat has no grip (she slides back under accel and forwards under braking), has wimpy foam, and she can feel the seat base after an hour. Also the grab rails are too low so she generally grabs the belt on my jacket.

My solution was a better seat. Currently it's a 2-piece Corbin which solves almost all of the problems listed above, but I still can't do more than 400 miles in a day before my butt screams for forgiveness. I was going to purchase an RDL for it over the winter, but Brexit problems have  :censored: ed up shipping to the UK, so I'm glad I didn't. I'll get it done soon.

We have done a two-up 600 mile day on my C10 with it's RDL saddle and I once did a solo ride of over 1100 miles in 18 hours on it.
If you really want your other half to want to ride pillion behind you, and RDL dual saddle is THE best way to achieve that.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline Conrad

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2021, 06:47:01 AM »
The stock seat is actually pretty good.  Maybe also see if she can reach the tank.  On my other bikes my wife slid into me more and she'd put her hands on the tank when coming to a stop.  She's all good on the Concours.  The seat has a decent rise and the passenger grab handles are HUGE compared to what she's ridden on in the past.  I believe she's just been holding on to the grab handles on the concours when stopping.

It would be good for her to learn to use the tank or the grab bars in an emergency stop situation anyway.

Are you sure that you're talking about the stock OEM seat? If so, you seem to be the only one who I've seen that likes this seat.

"It would be good for her to learn to use the tank or the grab bars in an emergency stop situation anyway."

I understand what you're saying here but what are the chances that, during an emergency braking maneuver, the passenger is going to be able to grab onto the grab bars or to get their hands in position, in time, on the tank? Pretty slim in my estimation.

I suppose that it would be possible to do some drills and practice what the reaction should be during an emergency braking situation that perhaps muscle memory could take over and the passenger's reaction time would be reduced.

I don't know how many passengers would be willing to practice these drills but I can tell you exactly what her response would be if I suggested this to my wife.

"Don't ride so damn fast with me on the back and we won't have to worry"   :o

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2021, 02:30:14 AM »
Unless they are as focussed as you on their surroundings there is no way a pillion will have time to react to an emergency stop. In those situations, you are her crumple zone so prepare for it. I know I ride slower and much more cautiously when I have a pillion, but that is mostly because I don't want nut shaped dents in the back of my gas tank.  :yikes: :rotflmao:
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline Tylerkaz

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2021, 08:00:21 PM »
Thanks. I dont think she could reach the gas tank enough to brace herself. I ordered the saddel man and installed tonight. Had to shim the lock bracket up to get it to lock. Ill try it this weekend. Sits lower than stock. I also ordered a seat cover thats suposed to prevent slipping. https://airflowseatcovers.com/ i also bought some of that drawer liner to try.

Offline Wes Carper

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2021, 04:48:16 PM »
I meant for her LOL.  For me it's only ok.  At least as good at the stock ZRX seat.  My wife and I have practiced emergency stops every so often.  It's a good thing to do.  She's not the average passenger though having ridden her own bike for a few years.  She's a great passenger, knows how to position herself very well.

Strange how opinions vary isn't it. The stock seat on my 08 model is  :censored: ing awful!

For me (the rider) it's uncomfortable, grips too much resulting in a partial Melvin every time I hit the brakes, and the foam is so thin that after 30 mins I can feel the sides of the seat base sticking into my butt cheeks. It also tilts me forwards resulting in arm ache and lower back pain.

For the pillion, the seat has no grip (she slides back under accel and forwards under braking), has wimpy foam, and she can feel the seat base after an hour. Also the grab rails are too low so she generally grabs the belt on my jacket.

My solution was a better seat. Currently it's a 2-piece Corbin which solves almost all of the problems listed above, but I still can't do more than 400 miles in a day before my butt screams for forgiveness. I was going to purchase an RDL for it over the winter, but Brexit problems have  :censored: ed up shipping to the UK, so I'm glad I didn't. I'll get it done soon.

We have done a two-up 600 mile day on my C10 with it's RDL saddle and I once did a solo ride of over 1100 miles in 18 hours on it.
If you really want your other half to want to ride pillion behind you, and RDL dual saddle is THE best way to achieve that.

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2021, 06:27:36 PM »
Leave her home? LOL
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2021, 03:16:41 AM »
I meant for her LOL.  For me it's only ok.  At least as good at the stock ZRX seat.  My wife and I have practiced emergency stops every so often.  It's a good thing to do.  She's not the average passenger though having ridden her own bike for a few years.  She's a great passenger, knows how to position herself very well.
You're lucky. Most pillions have never ridden themselves. ;)

Many moons ago I used to follow a friend who often rode with his teenage son as pillion.
They were so in sync with each other that both rider and pillion legs would snap out into the cornering position at the exact same time on every corner entry, and you could see both of them looking through the corner as they tipped in.
Ella is pretty good as a pillion, but she does tend to fall asleep on long freeway rides.
I'm not worried as she has nowhere to go with me in front, trunk behind, and her hands hooked into my jacket belt.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline Tylerkaz

« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2021, 09:36:45 AM »
Any sugestions on where to find the handels ? Or what to search for?

Thanks

Offline Tylerkaz

« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2021, 09:39:51 AM »
So the saddle man did stop wife from sliding forward. But the operator seat is sure hard. Pasenger seat is up higher and has much more cusion.

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2021, 01:20:00 PM »
Any sugestions on where to find the handels ? Or what to search for?

Thanks

Amazon:

attwood 2050-5 Ergonomic One-Piece Vinyl Grab Handle
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000AZ759/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1